Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Congratulations, You Won! II

Taleexi   

Ku-qabso ku qadi meyside (If you claim it, you will gain from it).

By: Bilan A. Aden

Feb 27, 011

I would like to thank everyone who read the article I wrote on January 29 (Congratulations, You Won!!!). Special thanks to those who have commented on forums. It has given me a chance to really understand the perspectives of my brothers and sisters. No doubt, I learned a valuable lesson by reading all of your comments. My background is that I left Somalia when I was a toddler. I was fortunate enough to have been raised by parents that do not have a clannish mentality and taught me that this kind of thinking was one of the main problems that led to our country’s demise. It is important to note that my intention of this article was to raise the awareness and be vigilant about the merciless companies who come to Somalia only to exploit our resources, regardless of the consequences.

It is well known that the companies who were dumping toxic waste materials along the Somali seashore had permission from Somali leaders. We were all tacit when these leaders were paid to accept the poison. Also, we were silent when Somali leaders gave permission to foreign trawlers to over-fish our seas, leading to a great loss of our supplies of fish, lobster, and marine life. Therefore, we should not be tacit any further, but speak loud and clear. Though I am not claiming to be an expert in this field, I have a Business Administration degree and I specialized in marketing. Therefore, I have great knowledge on how to sell a product and the appropriate questions to ask about any business venture. My research has helped to give me insight on this specific oil venture, and its legitimacy.

My points had nothing to do with whether Somalia has oil deposits or not, and I did not doubt that oil is there in Puntland. My concern was the ingenuity of Range Resources and the publicity surrounding the Dharoor site. Furthermore, my thoughts on the Puntland oil would have been exactly the same if oil was discovered in Mogadishu or Somaliland. In my previous article, I raised awareness and asked valid questions about this company's intentions. Maybe some of you know of the companies selling pieces of the moon to the public. One example is when Dennis Hope, who established a Lunar Embassy in the 1980’s, claimed the moon as his property. He has since sold many pieces of lunar land to people everywhere. Therefore, it is very appropriate to question the sincerity of the company and the viability of real-estate on moon, even though it is visible to all of us..

When I pointed out some basic requirements for foreign investment like having a recognized government and financial institutions, some of the critics compared Puntland to the situation that happened to the Kurds in Iraq and the Libyan rebels. We are comparing apples to oranges, it was a politically motivated to cripple Saddam and Gaddafi’s economy. Also, the investment and the infrastructure for these regions existed long before these groups divorced the rulers of Iraq and Libya. Meanwhile, we are in the very beginning stages, with much information to consider before jumping blindly into the arms of Range Resources.

One of the great things about us Somalis is that we have a saying for practically every subject matter and I found out that in this case we say: Ku-qabso ku qadi meyside (If you claim it, you will gain from it). To my understanding, Range Resources have been itching to be involved with Puntland over the years, so that they can claim their stake, and be ready for when the real companies come to the table. That means Range Resources can claim any dollar figures they want (a million to a billion) and that will be added to the cost of our future oil business. The Puntland regional government failed to disclose information about the investments and the deal, so why shouldn’t we question their motives. Now, whether you want to believe it or not, if we don’t critically think about our options and just see dollar signs, it’s inevitable that greed and power will destroy what’s left our country.

In conclusion, let us assume that my assumptions were wrong. Now my questions are:

a) Who will invest in our country at this state?

b) What is the amount of the investment and where is it coming from?

c) What kind of infrastructure is planned for Dharoor (refinery, pipes to the seaports, or any other method)

d) What are the environmental programs that will ensure the safety of human and wild life?

d) What are the agreements and allocations to this project?

e) What is the timeline for these projects: 10 years, 50 years or 100+ years.

f) Who will hold this company accountable?

Until someone can answer my questions, I will assume that Range Resources is only there for Ku-qabso ku qadi meyside.

Bilan A. Aden

Email:bilan_aden@yahoo.com

Source: http://wardheernews.com/Articles%202012/Feb/27_congratulation_bilan.html

NASSIR   

She's has asked valid questions and she is very articulate, far reaching thinker.

My only advice to Bilan is to keep researching and keep writing on the subject. And don't be discouraged by the naysayers and those with limited information & knowledge about such issues. Be the Devil's Advocate for your country's resources.

Timur   

Nassir and Taleexi strike me as bright guys who are sometimes forced into making silly comments and choices because of their disturbing hatred of Faroole.

This girl and her idiotic 'You Won' topics are ridden with poor grammar and reasoning, anyone who considers it to be intelligent work needs to have their own intelligence evaluated.

Do not let cuqdad throw you down a well.

Somalia   

NASSIR;795720 wrote:
She's has asked valid questions and she is very articulate, far reaching thinker.

My only advice to Bilan is to keep researching and keep writing on the subject. And don't be discouraged by the naysayers and those with limited information & knowledge about such issues. Be the Devil's Advocate for your country's resources.

Naysayers? She's a complete.... Her motives are clear.

Her articles have no merit. Why, why did she mention the environment, I still can't get over that. Where she lives they cut down trees and sell them off, and she has the nerve to talk about environment? That bit alone blows my mind.

Which valid question did she ask? Lets now dissect her second article.

When I pointed out some basic requirements for foreign investment like having a recognized government and financial institutions, some of the critics compared Puntland to the situation that happened to the Kurds in Iraq and the Libyan rebels. We are comparing apples to oranges, it was a politically motivated to cripple Saddam and Gaddafi’s economy.

Here she raises a point I said earlier than you need countries to market the oil for you. Now see, she doesn't address that point and goes on to state it was "politically motivated to cripple Saddam and Gaddafi’s economy."

What does that have ANYTHING to do with whether or not a country can market the oil for you?

To my understanding, Range Resources have been itching to be involved with Puntland over the years, so that they can claim their stake, and be ready for when the real companies come to the table. That means Range Resources can claim any dollar figures they want (a million to a billion) and that will be added to the cost of our future oil business.

So what? Puntland doesn't have to pay for it, the oil companies negotiate for the concessions with Range Resources, this is strictly between them.

a) Who will invest in our country at this state?

b) What is the amount of the investment and where is it coming from?

c) What kind of infrastructure is planned for Dharoor (refinery, pipes to the seaports, or any other method)

d) What are the environmental programs that will ensure the safety of human and wild life?

d) What are the agreements and allocations to this project?

e) What is the timeline for these projects: 10 years, 50 years or 100+ years.

f) Who will hold this company accountable?

None of these questions are for now, this is exploration not production. But number d. :rolleyes:

What I don't understand the most and cannot fathom are the links of her titles to the story. It does not make sense to me at all, is it just me or is everyone feeling the same?

I like her as a person but I have to say that she is a poor writer, debater and a commentator yet she wants to write about the most profound issue of our country. A funny brave world.

This is not an issue that only eloquence, debating or presentational skills can tackle, but a surplus of knowledge and expertise is required. Also being up to date with the goings regarding the issue. Otherwise you shoot self in the foot. Nice come back though.

Somalia   

Man, the reason why she failed is because she started asking the wrong questions at the wrong time. We are just exploring.

She shot herself. But if they (haters) are grasping straws now before oil has even been found, imagine the articles coming up if it is found.

Samafal   

Gabadha ha la daayo, with all the cheerleading for Faroole, its in the people's interest that some one is asking questions rather than following to the script. Odayga hadaan wax mucaarada oo su,aala waydiiya la helin, we will have a rich powerful dictator in our hands :)

good to see everyone pitching in and helping Somalia get back on its feet...i wonder why...couldn't be the oil could it ??? ;)

can't be ...oil is a curse lol

ROYAL DUTCH SHELLA : Joint industry contribution to support community projects in Somalia

On February 25, 2012 · In Cargo Incidents, Community, Featured

....Shell, BP, Maersk and the Japanese shipping industry today announced a joint initiative aimed at supporting community and job creation projects in the coastal regions of Somalia. This initiative is designed to make a contribution to the rebuilding of a stable and prosperous Somalia and, in so doing, reduce the risk of piracy to seafarers transiting the Indian Ocean. Each company will contribute around US$500,000 over a period of two years.

Grahaeme Henderson, Head of Shell Shipping, said today, “Ending piracy lies in part in helping the people of Somalia, and providing education and alternative livelihoods. Shell is proud to have contributed to the broader counter-piracy effort. We very much hope that others in industry will join us.”

“Piracy is a problem at sea, which must be addressed by the international community, and requires a long-term sustainable solution on land. We are willing to contribute to the solution, which is why Maersk supports this initiative,” said Hanne B. Sorensen, CEO of Maersk Tankers, on behalf of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group.

John Ridgway, Chief Executive of BP Shipping said: “This is a major issue which affects the safety and security of people working in global trade. We are pleased to support this initiative which will provide material help and opportunities for communities in the region.”

The announcement coincides with the London Conference on Somalia being held today (23rd February) and hosted by the Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon David Cameron MP. Leaders from more than 50 countries and international organisations are focussing on seven key issues, including terrorism, piracy, humanitarian assistance and, crucially, what Somalis could do after the transitional government’s mandate expires in August.

http://www.maersknews.com/?p=1705

Burn Notice;795858 wrote:
good to see everyone pitching in and helping Somalia get back on its feet...i wonder why...couldn't be the oil could it ???
;)

can't be ...oil is a curse lol

ROYAL DUTCH SHELLA : Joint industry contribution to support community projects in Somalia

On February 25, 2012 · In Cargo Incidents, Community, Featured

....Shell, BP, Maersk and the Japanese shipping industry today announced a joint initiative aimed at supporting community and job creation projects in the coastal regions of Somalia. This initiative is designed to make a contribution to the rebuilding of a stable and prosperous Somalia and, in so doing, reduce the risk of piracy to seafarers transiting the Indian Ocean. Each company will contribute around US$500,000 over a period of two years.

Grahaeme Henderson, Head of Shell Shipping, said today, “Ending piracy lies in part in helping the people of Somalia, and providing education and alternative livelihoods. Shell is proud to have contributed to the broader counter-piracy effort. We very much hope that others in industry will join us.”

“Piracy is a problem at sea, which must be addressed by the international community, and requires a long-term sustainable solution on land. We are willing to contribute to the solution, which is why Maersk supports this initiative,” said Hanne B. Sorensen, CEO of Maersk Tankers, on behalf of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group.

John Ridgway, Chief Executive of BP Shipping said: “This is a major issue which affects the safety and security of people working in global trade. We are pleased to support this initiative which will provide material help and opportunities for communities in the region.”

The announcement coincides with the London Conference on Somalia being held today (23rd February) and hosted by the Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon David Cameron MP. Leaders from more than 50 countries and international organisations are focussing on seven key issues, including terrorism, piracy, humanitarian assistance and, crucially, what Somalis could do after the transitional government’s mandate expires in August.

These companies are helping, out of love for the Somali people...

General Duke;795865 wrote:
These companies are helping, out of love for the Somali people...

hhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.....please do continue while i wipe away the tears of laughter....halarious people.

The girl is right, when you fuel up...have you ever heard of Range Resources???

no....

therefore the real companies as the lady put it are the real power brokers, they will never invest in Somalia without the insurance and proper security concerns settled, not to mention the infrastructure in place. This is no where in sight. Range resources as the owners of these basins can sell the rights to it for whatever they want considering they own the rights to it, also considering the secrecy concerning the oil rights in regards to the local admin there is a reason for the secrecy and im no sherlock holmes but secrecy usually involves something someone is not proud of. so all in all you digging a big hole, to sell the rights to a mickey mouse company no one has ever heard of only to not get the big companies because of politics, geography and insurance restrictions.This will actually be an impedement for other companies in the future.

but please do continue.......:cool:

The Hermet;795873 wrote:
hhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.....please do continue while i wipe away the tears of laughter....halarious people.

The girl is right, when you fuel up...have you ever heard of Range Resources???

no....

therefore the real companies as the lady put it are the real power brokers, they will never invest in Somalia without the insurance and proper security concerns settled, not to mention the infrastructure in place. This is no where in sight. Range resources as the owners of these basins can sell the rights to it for whatever they want considering they own the rights to it, also considering the secrecy concerning the oil rights in regards to the local admin there is a reason for the secrecy and im no sherlock holmes but secrecy usually involves something someone is not proud of. so all in all you digging a big hole, to sell the rights to a mickey mouse company no one has ever heard of only to not get the big companies because of politics, geography and insurance restrictions.This will actually be an impedement for other companies in the future.

but please do continue.......:cool:

LMAO...watch this space dude

the big boys only come in once the little guys have done all the ground work

don't stress you'll give yourself a heart attack...not long to wait now ;)

Burn Notice;795892 wrote:
LMAO...watch this space dude

the big boys only come in once the little guys have done all the ground work

don't stress you'll give yourself a heart attack...not long to wait now
;)

look forward to it. :D