Sign in to follow this  
The Hermet

Al Shabaab says extends reach into Somalia's Puntland

MOGADISHU, Feb 25 (Reuters) - An Islamist militia group in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region has merged with the al Shabaab rebel group, said the insurgents on Saturday, a union which threatens to destabilise the relatively secure area targeted by oil explorers.

Al Shabaab said it wanted to scrap the licenses of Western oil and gas firms drilling in Puntland. The al Qaeda-backed insurgents used social media site twitter to declare all oil and gas exploration and drilling licenses nullified.

While they do not hold the administrative control in the region needed to enforce their demand, the militants could try to target installations operated by Western oil companies.

The Puntland administration was not immediately available for comment.

The union comes as the insurgents are being weakened, relinquishing ground to African Union troops around the Somali capital, Mogadishu, and losing territory to Kenyan and Ethiopian forces in parts of southern and central Somalia.

Puntland security officials have previously said the Islamist militia camped out in the Golis hills outside the port city of Bosasso is led by Yasin Khalid Osman.

"I ... the leader of Golis ranges Islamists have signed an agreement with al Shabaab leader Sheikh Muktar Abu Zubeir. We are now al Shabaab," a voice identifying itself as Osman said in an audio recording on al Shabaab's website.

"I urge residents to take part in the jihad against the Christian invaders and the Somali infidels that work with them," he said, referring to the foreign troops inside Somalia.

Osman rarely makes statements and it was not immediately possible to verify his voice.

SHOWCASE

Last month, Canadian oil and gas exploration company Africa Oil Corp. began drilling an exploratory well in Puntland, the first to be sunk in the country since civil war erupted two decades ago.

Africa Oil and its partners in the two Puntland licences, Australia's Red Emperor and Range Resources, are targetting prospective resources of over 300 million barrels of recoverable oil.

In a country that has lacked effective central government for two decades, Puntland's relative stability is showcased by foreign powers advocating a loose federal political system in Somalia.

Some donors have focused development funding on the semi-autonomous region as a reward.

However, Puntland's authorities have blamed the militants for the mounting insecurity in the region. While al Shabaab control parts of southern and central Somalia, they still have a much lighter presence further north.

"The jihad will be redoubled in those areas," Sheikh Ali Mohamud Rage, al Shabaab's spokesman, told Reuters.

Source: Reuters:cool::cool:

hermit, if al-shaab cannot win in mogadishu and as i post are being chased from southern states, i ask you, how will they defeat a well organized state government that defeat them in the past years and have experiences of chasing terrorists in the early 90s. again, i ask you, how?

kingofkings;794844 wrote:
hermit, if al-shaab cannot win in mogadishu and as i post are being chased from southern states, i ask you, how will they defeat a well organized state government that defeat them in the past years and have experiences of chasing terrorists in the early 90s. again, i ask you, how?

first of all, alshabab as a force are not out of mugdisho as they have said again and again they have changed tactic as you can see there are daily attacks in mugdisho of alshabab everyone from the new york times to the independent have said mugdisho is teaming with alshabab. It has taken the ethiopians, the kenyans, the somali so called army, american air strikes, european intellegence services and they are still fighting and still control much of the south. They vacate a town then strike once the occupying force feels abit comfertable. They are fighting a long term strategy. As for puntland, saxib you dont have to joke with anyone we are use to meeting regularly in combat as was the case in las canod a few months ago. Your so called army is not that strong, you have failed to even keep puntland united as the case with las **** state and west puntland have shown, you have lost east sanag and can not even liberate las canod which is 23 miles from Garowe. Alshabab has been slightly weakend financally but what they currently lack in fiances they have in morale, objective and in warfare morale and objective is half the battle. In time Ethiopia will withdraw and so will kenya when there mandate also expires. because they are simply in it for the money and dont want stability in somalia. therefore in the long run the South will be the dominon of alshabab, with alshabab's union with atm in the north, they have effectively reached bosaso over night. therefore with alshabab atm will only get stronger and knowing alshabab fighters will eventually move from the south to outside bosaso. :cool:

so all in all...get your defences ready if you wanna continue existing, dont believe this AU, Ethiopian and Kenyan hype. gaurd yourself, id rather have you as an enemy then alshabab...:D i have to admit your alot easier.

. :cool:

Dabrow;794846 wrote:
They are kicked out from the south going trough puntland to go home to somalidid-land

somalidid-land how original bacaaaaaaac...:D haha

kingofkings;794850 wrote:
^^^ well said. here they come hermit; the chickens are coming home to roost.

if you say so..:cool:

just gaurd yourself, i can take care of myself. :D

The Hermet;794847 wrote:
first of all, alshabab as a force are not out of mugdisho as they have said again and again they have changed tactic as you can see there are daily attacks in mugdisho of alshabab everyone from the new york times to the independent have said mugdisho is teaming with alshabab. It has taken the ethiopians, the kenyans, the somali so called army, american air strikes, european intellegence services and they are still fighting and still control much of the south. They vacate a town then strike once the occupying force feels abit comfertable. They are fighting a long term strategy. As for puntland, saxib you dont have to joke with anyone we are use to meeting regularly in combat as was the case in las canod a few months ago. Your so called army is not that strong, you have failed to even keep puntland united as the case with las **** state and west puntland have shown, you have lost east sanag and can not even liberate las canod which is 23 miles from Garowe. Alshabab has been slightly weakend financally but what they currently lack in fiances they have in morale, objective and in warfare morale and objective is half the battle. In time Ethiopia will withdraw and so will kenya when there mandate also expires. because they are simply in it for the money and dont want stability in somalia. therefore in the long run the South will be the dominon of alshabab, with alshabab's union with atm in the north, they have effectively reached bosaso over night. therefore with alshabab atm will only get stronger and knowing alshabab fighters will eventually move from the south to outside bosaso. :cool:

so all in all...get your defences ready if you wanna continue existing, dont believe this AU, Ethiopian and Kenyan hype. gaurd yourself, id rather have you as an enemy then alshabab...
:D

walahi seriously mean that. :cool:

hermet, you don't believe that while al-shaab and Amison fight, that PL and other states will stay merely static do you? As i post, PL is getting stronger. watch this video,

The Hermet;794853 wrote:
if you say so..:cool:

just gaurd yourself, i can take care of myself.

how can you guard yourself, when few men, whom by the way were taken by surprise, chased your failed enclave back to the drawing board help protect you? how can you protect yourself? don't you mean, they can't pass buhoodle and as result, your safe for another day? also, when are you going to answer my first question?

kingofkings;794858 wrote:
how can you guard yourself, when few men, whom by the way were taken by surprise, chased your failed enclave back to the drawing board help protect you? how can you protect yourself? don't you mean, they can't pass buhoodle and as result, your safe for another day? also, when are you going to answer my first question?

if you say so..and who are you again? puntland..hahaha...try and chase me away from my bases 23 miles from your capital then you can talk but for the moment considering my artilary is 40 miles from both bosaso via erigavo and 23 miles from garowe via las canod your in no position to boast little boy...it seems your piling up enemies for yourself with the term of the TFG expiring soon and your mini-cab president from australia losing bits of your little criminal fiefdom it seems your really screwed for the long run. :cool:

"Xoogaga ku jira Buuralayda Galgala ayaa tilmaamay in ay si rasmi ah ugu biireen Al-Shabaab intaasna ku daray in ay si wadayaan dagaal ka dhan ah Maamulka Puntland" - alshabab in puntland

division across the board, TFG and federalism dead...

pirate ville is struggling to stay afloat these days in contrast to the propaganda. :cool:

^^ so rather than answer simple questions, you resort to troll your own thread? hermet, each time i think you're making progress, you take 10 steps back. why?

kingofkings;794879 wrote:
^^ so rather than answer simple questions, you resort to troll your own thread? hermet, each time i think you're making progress, you take 10 steps back. why?

is that what substitutes for a written white flag these days..if so..dont go that easily, because your lot have a habit of surrendering to easily or running from the battlefield...:D

The Hermet;794882 wrote:
is that what substitutes for a written white flag these days..if so..dont go that easily, because your lot have a habit of surrendering to easily or running from the battlefield...

:D:D