Sign in to follow this  
Ace of Spadez

London Conference - Was it worth Silanyo's Trip?

A week in London:

1. A lot of officials from Somaliland getting a much needed working holiday in the UK. It was nice to see Cadami & Xaabsade finally leaving Africa and getting a taste of the west.

2. Demonstration held at 10 Downing Street – A lot of coverage by the press. BBC, Press TV, Al-Jazeera.

3. Somaliland President Silanyo receiving statesman’s status. I like his British security detail holding the umbrella for him. He was able to for the first time meet the Prime Minister of the UK for a private meeting. This is the first time a sitting Somaliland President has been given this opportunity. He also met the Minister of Foreign Affairs & Minister for International Development.

4. The profile of Somaliland was enhanced as he was seated next to other world leaders. He was also given an opportunity to speak in the closed section of the meeting. Further, he got the opportunity for the first time in Somaliland’s history to have the opportunity to speak to so many world leaders at the margins of an international conference. One such meeting was the bilateral accord between Somaliland & Seychelles regarding prisoner transfers.

February 23 2012 -- Seychelles President James Michel and President Ahmed Mohamed Silanyo of the Republic of Somaliland have discussed, in a meeting in London today, the transfer of convicted Somali pirates currently in prison in Seychelles, to Somaliland to service their sentences.

Read More Here

5. Somaliland will receive 105 Million Pounds from the UK over the next 3 years. Also, the Somaliland Development Corporation was launched with the backing of the British Government.

All in all, Silanyo managed to keep the quest to gain de jure recognition for Somaliland going strong, collect increased funding for his country, get some R&R and creating a buzz around the world where even Canada’s globe and mail wrote the following:

Some observers point to the breakaway Somali regions of Somaliland and Puntland, which have become semi-independent entities governed by distinct clans; Somaliland is now recognized by some organizations as an independent state. Some analysts argue that a loose federation of tribal regions is the only workable model, and are pleased to see Somaliland attending the summit, for the first time, perhaps to offer advice.

Evaluation:

Funding – Check

Publicity – Check

Continuing to assert your Sovereignty – Double Check

Considering the only thing that came out of this conference is the need for security i.e. containing terrorism & fighting piracy I’d say this was a smashing success for Somaliland.

Somalia   

You don't make sense. If it asserted its so-called "sovereignty" then why did it attend as part of Somalia?

He didn't get a statesmen's status.

Watch this video of him waiting to be led into Downing Street and the FCO have no idea who he is. He has to wait in the rain and then they keep saying "President of Somaliland" hahahaha. I swear WaagaCusub is taking you all for a ride.

And do not respond bad to this, you are the one who looked at the superficial things, "white man holding my umbrella, I am important".

He should never have attended, the Oodweyne guy is right. I don't know what the hell you were thinking.

Somalia;794117 wrote:
You don't make sense. If it asserted its so-called "sovereignty" then why did it attend as part of Somalia?

He didn't get a statesmen's status.

In your haste to reply, I believe you didn't read what I wrote carefully. Without going into great detail, click on the link I provided where it says " Read More Here". You will be guided to the office of the president of the Republic of Seychelles. In that press statement it clearly says The Republic of Somaliland.

Here is the link again:

http://www.statehouse.gov.sc/index.php/2011-07-15-09-16-47/news-archive/910-seychelles-and-somaliland-taking-steps-towards-prisoner-transfers

Somalia   

Somaliland President Silanyo receiving statesman’s status. I like his British security detail holding the umbrella for him

You said it in the context of a guy holding his umbrella, nothing to do with the Seychelles President's statement.

Truth is, a lot of secessionists are pissed about Britain's open rejection of your recognition bid and you went anyway. It was a slap in the face. I feel like you should hire me to advise you.

How about you address my video, do you believe that is the way a head of state is treated?

wasnt Repulic of somaliland, the name which the British gave sillyland when it was Great Britain's colony!! So now sillyland reverted back to being a colony?? cajib.

God bless the queen and her smelly under-wears!

Somalia, I guess everyone gets to go to 10 Downing Street for an official visit with the Prime Minister? If this was the case, why hasn't any President before Silanyo not given the same audience with a sitting PM? Let us not get side tracked.

So far, the attendance of Somaliland was a success. It even managed to put Somaliland's quest for statehood on the table by having one of the outcomes talking about Somaliland & Somalia's future relations. I'm sure if the TFG was concerned it would not have liked to entertain such reality. They would have much preferred to have the world say, Somaliland must agree to the territorial integrity of Somalia. Instead, the international community will support and by extension will get involved in assisting Somaliland from withdrawing from this monstrosity called the Former Somali Republic. Just like the road map for Somalia’s recovery, the sovereignty of Somaliland is now also on the Agenda.

High time, Somalia decided to wake up to the reality on the ground.

Freedom   

Don't argue with somalia this old man will argue weak points over and over. You through facts on what Somaliland got and this guy talking about umbrilas, white man, recgonization even thou this conference was not about lool. Somaliland syndrome at its work :)