Sign in to follow this  
samjamaa

Is the race stronger than culture?

Sensei   

Whats up with the aggression? Simple question deserves simple response.

Race plays significant role in a more racially diverse setting that tends to be acultural; also expect, cultural being the differential in societies were all, or most, are of the same race. In Africa, culture; in America, race.

Or something like that yacni..

Chimera   

Race and culture are social constructs, both however are subordinate to the mind. It's the latter that determines whether you will take those categories - that geneticists and society has put you in - and make it a part of your being and legacy. Pre-2006, I was pretty much a Dutch Muslim boy, forward to 2012 and I'm now reconstructing and reshaping my own being into what I would most likely have been in Somalia had the war never happened; an ordinary Somali guy.

Chimera   

Depends, in Samajama's case; she grew up in a social-construct that isn't genetically uniform; i.e modern Arabs are majoritively Arabised Ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Berbers, Nubians etc, so it's easier for her to melt into that pot if she speaks the language fluently. However if she were to adopt let's say Japanese culture, and married a Japanese person, her children wouldn't be Japanese, be it in looks or in the eye of society. In a similar homogeneous society like that of Somalia, both constructs play an equal role. It was our racial vision of ourselves as being unique that prevented us from going the way of countless other ancient peoples in the face of foreign agression, and you have Somali cultural complexes like the clan-system that continue to unite and disintergrate us. Only when we have destroyed the latter system and have adopted Somali as the only self-identifyer can we really look at the situation from a racial persepective, but even then Pan-Somalism is also a social-construct.

My answer; Neither!......Both!

Blessed   

I know how you feel Sam. I actually spent some childhood years in SL and grew up in a very traditional Somali house but felt a bit foreign my first time back. I do feel that Somalis back home have changed culturally and that's what I couldn't get my head around.

NGONGE   

samjamaa;792100 wrote:
اقدر اقول: انا كويتي انا قول وفعل و عزومي قوية
:P

دورة الخليج 1984؟

دا انتي طلعتي اكبر من جدتي, يا عائشه المرطه.....ههههه

As for the topic, you are the centre of the universe, dear. Nothing happens without you. As am I...

samjamaa   

*Blessed;791964 wrote:
I know how you feel Sam. I actually spent some childhood years in SL and grew up in a very traditional Somali house but felt a bit foreign my first time back. I do feel that Somalis back home have changed culturally and that's what I couldn't get my head around.

thanks for you understand.

samjamaa   

NGONGE;792107 wrote:
دورة الخليج 1984؟

دا انتي طلعتي اكبر من جدتي, يا عائشه المرطه.....ههههه

As for the topic, you are the centre of the universe, dear. Nothing happens without you. As am I...

واو انت بيبي وايد لان الاغنية مغنيها عبد الله رويشد في فبراير 2010 سو انت عمرك سنتين اكيد ان كبر جدت جدتيك بعد

NGONGE   

أنـا كويتـي أنـا ! أنـا قـول وفعـل و عـزومـي قويّــه ..

أنـا كويتـي أنـا ! أنـا عـن موقفـي تحجـي الجـابريّـه ..

Click

كلمـات كتبهـا الشهيد فهد الأحمـد الصبـاح وتغنّــت في افتتـاح دورة الخليج العاشرة في الكويت عام 1990 .. تتحدث عـن حادثـة الجابريـة التـي حدثـت قبلهـا بـ عـاميـن بـ التحـديـد في 5 إبريـل 1988 .. تتحـدث عـن بطولة الشهيديـن أحمد عبدالله الخالدي و خالد بنـدر أيوب .. تتحـدث عـن بشاعـة الحروب و ظلمهـا لـ من لا دخـل لهم بهـا .. تتحـدث عـن السياسات و الأحزاب القـذرة و الوحشية !

:P :p

(I got it wrong, it was 1990).

Coofle   

Race or Ethnicity are Two different Variants . I am black, If I go to united states, People will expect certain behaivior from me (Call it Ghetto culture, African- American Culture etc) But after a while when they start to know me, I will be identified as an African Immigrant rather than African American .

The same goes for Middle east, In all Arab Countries there is considerable "Black" communities who were natives to that country for many generation, they integrated into the Arab culture, They are arabs in everyway, Therefore I don't feel comfortable around them the same way I feel uncomfortable around Arabs or people of other cultural backgrounds. But in your case, You feel at ease when being around Arabs, in contrary Around somalis ( I mean Real Somalis who don't speak arabic) you may feel alienated and avoid them.

Expatriate is always an Expatriate, But My point is "Your upbringing is Arabic "Culturally 'culturally' but my upbringing is somali 'culturally' , I fluently speak arabic 'in dialect also' but still, I avoid arabs as much as possible I don't hate them but we don't just click.

A fascinating case study is Somali students studying in Far east, Say China, India, Malaysia etc.

There are two groups of students, Those who come from somalia and adhere to the "True" Somali culture, and another group who grew up in Gulf countries and are somalis by "Proxy".

The first group in spite their differences they adhere to each other and form their own community, the second group also form their own group. Both groups are related by "Somali" Identity but not by "Somali"....If a party is held and both groups attend, One group is always have the upper hand thus the other group will not like this gathering...

Inaan sii dheeraado ma rabee...Any body can be somali "You can buy passport or may be 1/5 of somali origins" But it is difficult to be "SOMALI" as the Fiercely independent, bitter sweet ignorant Cattle/Camel herding creature.......