Sign in to follow this  
samjamaa

What language do you use when you're thinking?

samjamaa   

Many of us are bilingual or even multilingual, but I'm curious...what language do you use when you're thinking? Do you use the same language as the one you're conversing with?

Honestly, I think in Arabic...which is probably why I'm more comfortable talking in Arabic than in Somali. maybe because everyday conversation, I talk more in Arabic than in Somali. Looking back though, I learned Arabic in school and Somali at home.

I guss this is reason which make my somali language Little bit weak.

samjamaa   

sharma-arke451;790933 wrote:
in thinking process, we need no language. only thinking

talking is where language comes in

Languages as you think of them aren't the only languages you speak. If you start to live in an English speaking country and speak only English for some years, you may well start to 'think' in English because that will be your brain's learnt response to having thoughts.

somalee   

sharma-arke451;790933 wrote:
in thinking process, we need no language. only thinking

talking is where language comes in

I think I know what the thread-starter means. She's referring to the voices in your head when you're thinking.

STOIC   

When I want to curse someone under my breath I use Somali words.I can easilly call someone NACAAS and call him hoyadha buufkeet....When I want to make ethical or even rational decision I use Engish.....When I want to do some Ibada I go for Swahili easy to beg Allah with that languag....Majority of time Somali so I must irrational and abusive most of time....Hauuchochin atitude haha