Sign in to follow this  
Garnaqsi

Saudi writer may face execution over Prophet Mohammad tweets

Garnaqsi   

Riyadh (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Hamza Kashghari, a Saudi writer and poet arrested in Malaysia for a few remarks on Twitter about Muhammad, is an infidel and an apostate. His sacrilegious action deserve “harsh punitive measures”, warned Saudi Arabia’s Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Religious Edicts (IFTA). "Whoever dares make a mockery of Allah, the Prophet or the Holy Book undermines the religion and displays enmity toward it. It is the duty of the rulers to try such a criminal," the committee said.

The accusation against Hamza, 23, stem from a few remarks he posted on Twitter last week, birthday of the prophet Muhammad. “On your birthday,” he wrote, “I will say that I have loved the rebel in you, that you’ve always been a source of inspiration to me, and that I do not like the halos of divinity around you. I shall not pray for you.

On your birthday,” he added, “I find you wherever I turn. I will say that I have loved aspects of you, hated others, and could not understand many more. I shall not bow to you. I shall not kiss your hand. Rather, I shall shake it as equals do, and smile at you as you smile at me. I shall speak to you as a friend, no more.

In one day, his comment generated 30,000 responses, many accusing him of blasphemy or calling for his death. Even though he removed the offending tweet, and apologised asking for forgiveness, the flood did not stop. Someone posted his address on YouTube, and vigilantes from a nearby mosque went looking for him.

The information minister banned all newspapers from publishing anything written by him, and the Council of Elders issued a rare statement of condemnation and harsh request that he be put on trial. King Abdullah himself issued the arrest order.

Two days ago, the young man tried to leave the country, but he was arrested by Malaysian police. “Kashgari was detained at the airport upon arrival following a request made to us by Interpol after the Saudi authorities applied for it," a police spokesman said.

Malaysia and Saudi Arabia do not have a formal extradition treaty. However, an official with the Malaysian Home Ministry who asked to remain unidentified said Kashgari could be extradited under other bilateral security agreements.

Under Sharia (Islamic law), anyone who commits sacrilegious actions that may make him or her kafir should be given three days to repent, failing which the person is to be beheaded.

What are your thoughts on this?

Garnaqsi   

ElPunto;790562 wrote:
If he knew the law and deliberately broke it - he should be ready to deal with the consequences.

Are you saying they are justified in persecuting him for that tweet?

ElPunto   

^What does justified mean from your perspective? If one has a law - however you may disagree with it or even ridiculous - if one breaks it - are you not justified in prosecuting him or her??

Garnaqsi   

ElPunto;790573 wrote:
^What does justified mean from your perspective? If one has a law - however you may disagree with it or even ridiculous - if one breaks it - are you not justified in
prosecuting
him or her??

You are not, if it's ridiculous. There should be rational limits as to the rules you can create and one is never justified in persecuting someone over ridiculous rules. Putting philosophy aside, do you personally think they're morally/legally justified in persecuting him?

ElPunto   

Garnaqsi;790577 wrote:
You are not, if it's ridiculous. There should be rational limits as to the rules you can create and one is never justified in persecuting someone over ridiculous rules. Putting philosophy aside, do you personally think they're morally/legally justified in persecuting him?

Who determines what is ridiculous or what is rationale? Is it your metric that the world should adopt? Are the anti-Holocaust denial laws ridiculous or irrational? It's odd that many don't get worked up over those and other similar rules. Clearly the authorities are legally justified - it is their laws after all. Are they morally justified - it depends on what base your morality is built on - if you are a secular humanist etc - clearly not. As a Muslim - I think this man should be given a warning since he has apologized and seems remorseful. And I don't find what he said to be of the extreme gratuitous insults which blasphemy laws would police. I also do favour keeping the internet a free zone regarding blasphemy rules.

PS - your continous reference to persecution is simply a denial of facts. After all - there is a legal basis here.

This is onetime i agree with El.Punto, ignorance of the law is no excuse in this case. We might not agree with it, or think it's fair. But it's their country, their law. Suck's for him tho, hadii qoorta laga gooyo.

I am sure there are other things we agree on my good Mexican friend.....but just not a lot. Anyways, i watched one beheading video on the Internet not too long that i think was smuggled outta KSA. It wasn't pretty. :)

Garnaqsi   

ElPunto;790582 wrote:
Who determines what is ridiculous or what is rationale? Is it your metric that the world should adopt? Are the anti-Holocaust denial laws ridiculous or irrational? It's odd that many don't get worked up over those and other similar rules. Clearly the authorities are legally justified - it is their laws after all. Are they morally justified - it depends on what base your morality is built on - if you are a secular humanist etc - clearly not. As a Muslim - I think this man should be given a warning since he has apologized and seems remorseful. And I don't find what he said to be of the extreme gratuitous insults which blasphemy laws would police. I also do favour keeping the internet a free zone regarding blasphemy rules.

PS - your continous reference to persecution is simply a denial of facts. After all - there is a legal basis here.

I think appeal to reason alone can serve as a fair common metric ground in determining what's rational and what isn't. Disagreeing with this will require explanation of the inadequacy of reason as basis as well as the providence of a method that triumphs it. I don't think the laws against Holocaust denial are well-justified. I don't really understand why you think what he said warrants a warning. Also, could you explain bit more about favouring to keep the internet a free zone regarding blasphemy rules? (It makes perfect sense reading it, but I wasn't expecting it so I guess I want you to repeat it). @ PS - I'm not convinced what he did warrants being tried at all.

BOB   

He's desperate for Western recognition ala Ayan but in truth all he does is expose his ignorance about Prophet Muhammad (AS) and Islam in general otherwise he wouldn't have written this tripe...bowing down to him (The Propeht) ? Excuse me? Who bows down to him? hates 'other' things about him? like what exactly? If he knew anything about prophet Muhammad (AS) he would'be found out that he would've been the first one to disapprove all these bid'a (innovations) that has crept into Islam including the so-called Mowleed and last but not least he would also know that The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has said: Do not over praise me as the Christians over-praised the son of Mary. I am His slave so say: 'Allah's slave and messenger' [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] and Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said, “Do not tell a lie against me for whoever tells a lie against me (intentionally) then he will surely enter the Hell-fire.” (Bukhari 1/106 and Ibn Majah 1/31).

Muslims these days tell open lies about Prophet Muhammad (AS) and it's a crying shame because he warned us against this here. 'Abdullah Ibn Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (p.b.u.h.) said: Be mindful when transmitting a Hadith from me. (Transmit) only that which you know (very well) for he who intentionally lies about me will find his abode in Hell-Fire.” (Tirmidhi 232).

May Allah s.w guide us all through the righteous path Insha Allah.

Peace, Love & Unity.

ElPunto   

I think appeal to reason alone can serve as a fair common metric ground in determining what's rational and what isn't. Disagreeing with this will require explanation of the inadequacy of reason as basis as well as the providence of a method that triumphs it. I don't think the laws against Holocaust denial are well-justified. I don't really understand why you think what he said warrants a warning. Also, could you explain bit more about favouring to keep the internet a free zone regarding blasphemy rules? (It makes perfect sense reading it, but I wasn't expecting it so I guess I want you to repeat it). @ PS - I'm not convinced what he did warrants being tried at all.

How/why reason is adequate is the argument that you need to make. I'll tell you my position though. The moral and ethical boundaries are made by God and we should stick to those. He has created us and knows what is best for us - ergo the laws that stem from that would, ideally and in best practice, be the optimum vehicle for human happiness.

What he said is disrespectful. In an Islamic society - we don't mandate respect for the Prophet but a the same time - we don't appreciate blatant disrespect. I don't think Muslims should be spneding much time searching for blasphemy - as long as ppl and society as a whole are in general respectful there is no need to hunt for culprits ie ie the internet

Why are you unconvinced what he said doesn't warrant a trial? Are you familiar with the ins and outs of Islamic blasphemy laws as practiced in Saudi Arabia? I know I'm not.

faarah22   

it's ridiculous that this happen in this day and age. laakin madax faaluuqaan did he not know which country he is in. he may lose his head for this foolishness