Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

London Conference: Why Somaliland is in, Barbados is out

Mario B   

I told Oodweyne a week before the conference that the London meeting will be about doubling the AMISON troops, Somaliland being told to build prisons to hold Pirates from the rest of Somalia and any breakway from Somalia by SL will have to be approved by Mogadishu. Oodweyne response was he is happy to be in "LEGAL LIMBO"....:D Ha ha ha...

LANDER   

Mario B;794149 wrote:
I told Oodweyne a week before the conference that the London meeting will be about doubling the AMISON troops, Somaliland being told to build prisons to hold Pirates from the rest of Somalia and any breakway from Somalia by SL will have to be approved by Mogadishu. Oodweyne response was he is happy to be in "LEGAL LIMBO"....
:D
Ha ha ha...

There is no such thing as 'approval' of anothers independence but only coming to terms with it. Ethiopia was forced to come to terms to with Eritrea and Sudan much the same with South Sudan. They understood it was mutually beneficial to move on. When there is a legitimate government in Somalia, they too will come to terms with Somaliland. I'm amazed to see so many Somalis in uproar over a conference that lasted a few hours, and where some of the bigger players were eager to discuss more pressing matters to them such as 'Syria' and 'Pakistan'. Somaliland's legitimacy does not lie at the feet of any world leaders contrary to some of my countrymen's beliefs and the solution to Somalia's problems will not come from the sky after a few speeches from high profile world leaders and photo ops. In other words, its nice for the world to care or pretend to care about Somali issues but in the grand scheme of things, this conference isn't bringing earth shattering change to the Somalia or Somaliland.

NGONGE   

Abtigiis;794134 wrote:
Today is 24 February, 2012. One day after the London Conference. Can believers of hadhwanaagnews and safk.hore.com tell us what special status had yesterday in the meeting?

Will the real Oodweyne stand up and share with us the video of Somaliland sharing lessons on peace and security with the participants?

There was no video showing SL sharing its lessons, nor was there one showing Kuwait, the UAE or Canada giving their speeches (but they all report that they did).

As for your three (facts)..well, did you not notice the "special status" in the seating arrangment? Sharif having his followers around him but Siilaanyo sitting on a different part of the meeting (subtle but VERY LOUD and you know it, Abitigiis). How about William Hague speaking to memebers of the Diaspora the night before the conference (an official speech by the way):

"Tomorrow the largest gathering of countries and organisations ever to come together to discuss Somalia will meet in this very room. The conference will include the President and Prime Minister of Somalia, the President of Somaliland, seven Somali delegations, leaders from across Africa, the Secretary General of the Union Nations, and many Foreign Ministers from around the world."

Oh..how about the part in the final communique that mentions Somaliland. Would you borrow Zenawi's phrase and say that it's a bit of ambiguous creativity (or was it creative ambiguity)?

"The Conference recognised the need for the international community to support any dialogue that Somaliland and the TFG or its replacement may agree to establish in order to clarify their future relations."

All that in a Conference about Somalia and not Somaliland. All in all, Siilaanyo will go back happy with the progress made and the extraction of a clear distinction between Somalia & Somaliland.

Mario B   

Lander, there was no "independence"....what you did was put the cart infront of the Donkey, and now you will have to come to terms to the fact that the world recognises you as a region in Somalia. You can keep pretending otherwise but that's the reality.:cool:

NGONGE   

^^ I don't have to persuade myself of anything. I tell it as I see it, saaxib. Attending this conference did SL no harm and there were actual benefits from attending.

p.s.

Mario, which world is that? Not the ones in the conference, surely! :D

Read their words again and again and again...

"The Conference recognised the need for the international community to support any dialogue that Somaliland and the TFG or its replacement may agree to establish in order to clarify their future relations."

Mario B   

" Future relation between Somaliland and Somalia" means the world still recognises SL as a Somali region and any future "breakway" will have to be a mutual one ie agreed by Mogadishu. The "enclave crew" should start living in the real world, i had from someone earlier that PM Cameron told the world to open their embassies in Hargeisa...where did he say that? lool

faarah22   

is abitigiis a professional writer or what ? he has a florid and evocative writing style. i must say i was very impressed with his language. keep it up.

Mario B   

"Clarify future relation"...:cool: You can play all the semantics you want, but your current relation is Macaruf. :D

P.s I'm dissapointed in you Ngonge, i expected to have this sort of debate with Freedom or Hermit!

NGONGE   

Mario B;794172 wrote:
"Clarify
future
relation"...:cool: You can play all the semantics you want, but your current relation is Macaruf.
:D

P.s I'm dissapointed in you Ngonge, i expected to have this sort of debate with Freedom or Hermit!

Bah. I sometimes like to mingle with the ordinary people and have a bit of banter, adeer. Ha o bixin.

Though the play with words that you're having there matters. It sets two distinct sides (TFG/Somali government V Somaliland). Last week, the world did not recognise (at least openly) that such a distinction existed. This here (future, clarify or relations aside) sets a clear precedent and tells all sides (but mostly YOU) how things stand. The world is saying to you that they'll ban the charcoal, they'll increase the AMISOM numbers, they'll help with ending the transition but when it comes to SL they will only help in the dialogu to clarify future relations.

Again, last week your argument was that the world does not recognise SL's case but today it is spelt out clearly to you and all the naysayers. The conference yesterday, allowed SL to be and focused on the problems of Somalia (south). It is time for all Somali unionists to change their tune, the old trick is not working.

Freedom   

Dont argue and these haters will spin it to what they think it is. You can show them a blue box and they say it's green lool. Somaliland snydroum at its best ;)