Sign in to follow this  
Keyz 1-8-7

Arsenal - richest club in England

Landmark times at Arsenal

Arsenal have become the first English football club to break the £200m income barrier.

Their results for last season, the first in their new Emirates Stadium, sees income rise to £200.8m, a jump of £63m compared to the last year at Highbury.

The improvement brings Arsenal into the big league of European earners.

Manchester United will have to show an increase of £32m for last season to match the Gunners, while Chelsea will have to improve their income by nearly £50m, Liverpool by nearly £80m and Tottenham by £127m.

The reason for this good news, say Arsenal, is the Emirates effect.

More importantly, they argue that the results are proof that there is no need for a takeover to inject money into the north London club.

Arsenal now get an income of £3.1m per every home game while total match-day income for the season has doubled to £90.6m.

With Arsenal now able to seat 60,355 per home match, the number of people coming through the turnstiles rose to 1,615,591, up 54% from the previous year.

And whereas the club sold 400,000 programmes when they were at Highbury, they now sell almost a million.

Privately, Arsenal accept that there are transportation problems on match day, caused by station closures and restrictions.

But that is beyond their control and demand for season tickets remains strong. The waiting list is 41,000.

Despite the fact that Arsenal earned £10m less from television - they did poorly from that great television cash cow, the Champions League - they made a record operating profit of £51.2m, an increase of 274% on the last season at Highbury.

This was before player sales and depreciation were taken into account.

Arsenal's total income from football is now £177m, 51% of it from match-day revenue and 25% from broadcasting revenue.

The club also hope to make money from property. Next year, they will get £30m from Ashburton Grove and £60m from Highbury Square in 2009.

The good figures are also reflected in the bank balance. At the end of last season, the club had £73.9m tucked away.

So does this mean there is more money for Arsene Wenger to spend?

Arsenal insist there has never been a problem for Wenger if he wants to go into the transfer market. The point is he does not often spend all the money he is given.

As managing director Keith Edelman told me: "We gave the manager a budget and he did not spend it."

Indeed, Gunners chairman Peter Hill-Wood relayed an interesting story to me from a dinner he had with Wenger not long ago.

Also present was Danny Fiszman, the club's largest shareholder who speaks impeccable French.

"We told Arsene: ‘If we give you £100m to spend on players what would you do?’," said Hill-Wood. "Arsene replied: ‘I would give it back.’

"The manager has money. If he wants to buy, it is up to him. We do not need foreign investment for Arsene to buy players.”

The financial resources Wenger has at his disposal is a crucial argument as talk of an Arsenal takeover hots up.

The ousted vice-chairman, David Dein, is now chairman of Red and White, a company owned by the Uzbek businessman Alisher Usmanov.

Usmanov now owns 21% of Arsenal and Dein believes the club needs foreign investment if it is to compete with the likes of Chelsea and other clubs.

The Arsenal board vehemently disagree and view today’s figures as proof that their Emirates strategy is working.

This is all the more interesting given that Dein, when in power, opposed the idea of Arsenal borrowing heavily in order to build a new stadium and wanted to share the new Wembley instead.

Wenger not only limits his spending, he is also a shrewd seller in the transfer market.

So in the season just gone, Arsenal made a profit on player sales of £18.5m.

Not quite as much as they made the previous year, but then the latest figure does not take into account the sale of Thierry Henry to Barcelona, reportedly for £16m. That transfer will be part of next year’s figures.

Arsenal are also proud that their salary structure, once considered very tight, is comparable with their rivals.

Last season, they paid out £89.7m in wages. This works out to just over 50% of turnover which most prudent accountants consider a good figure.

We shall have to wait to see what Chelsea paid out.

Despite borrowing heavily to build the stadium - their total debt stands at £346m - Arsenal say the Emirates effect will continue to produce vast sums of money for years.

The message here for Tottenham and other clubs with big ambitions but small venues is unmistakable.

So where does all this good news for Arsenal leave David Dein and his ambitions to return?

Publicly, Arsenal, who have not yet settled terms over his departure, will not comment on Dein.

As far as they are concerned, he is history.

One well-placed Emirates source told me: "David always sees himself as number one. He wants to be chairman. The Arsenal board put Arsenal first. The board see themselves as the custodians of the club. That is the difference."

Source

PS:This article was written by a spurs fan!

BOB   

We're entitled to a share of the bounty...don't you think so? for being loyal all these years and never giving in into temptation...

Peace,Love & Unity.

...and a shrewd manager who just happens to have a masters in economics.

200m can't be exagerated, this report is transparent and they can't lie about it. It puts us just a few mill behind Real in 2nd place of the world richest clubs.

Bob, fans are the reasons why they're making all this money with ridiculous ticket prices in the EPL. But fans still turn out every game, even the Carling Cup game V Newcastle is sold out whilst Chelsea can't even get 20,000 to turn up for their CL games.

BOB   

Northerner,

That's why Liverpool are almost desperate to build a new 65000 seater stadium but I wonder if you'll have the team to match such an impressive arena!

Like I always say to you and SoMa_InC...You can always join Arsenal FREE of charge...me and 1-8-7 will gladly pay your membership fees :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

Come on now. Join Arsenal? I used to watch them in the old days of boring boring Arsenal whilst Liverpool played the best football. Granted they play great football but surely you expect a Liverpool fan to jump ship?

BOB   

Why not? I've seen it happen before and the new generation of 'Liverpool fans' aren't content of living on the past glory like some of you guys...

Winning Champs league couple of seasons back and reaching last year went out of the window as soon as Man Utd won their 9th Premier League last year...

its never too late and my offer will stand thorough the year Insha Allah...

Peace,Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

I wonder how many 'Arsenal fans' supported their club before Arsene Wenger. Heck how many even know the name of the manager before Wenger?

How much did he pay for David Platt? (do you guys even know D Platt?)

Go Gunners....

Northener how come u can say no body know David Platt even i am too young to know him, plus i saw him Scoring against ManUtd in the game Arsenal won 3-2, i always like the Arsenal Shirt No 7, from Platt, Pires to Rosicky..

BTW.. Arsenal being the Richest Club in UK, i can see them The M.R.Club in the World..

Adebayor Fan ;)

A.J.   

Well done to arsenal indeed, but i cannot believe you gunners are asking for people to jump ship and support your team. That's pretty desperate at the best of times.

Even if they did all they would be is a bunch of glory hunters.

You must stick it with your team through the Thick and thin.

Right my team Chelsea is going through a dire period but no matter how bad or good they are my support will always remain unhindered and i encourage every fan supporting whatever club out there to stick with their no matter what cause that is what true fans do.

Once again congratulations on Arsenal doing well financially.

^^It was a joke padre....

Whereas Chelsea, I'm beginning to think that this situation could actually work in their favour seen as people are writing them off already. Premier League maybe or maybe not, but maybe the CL or other Cup competition.

WingA   

Richest Club?? its your biggest profit so far as football club so how does it make you the the second riches club in the world for one seasons profit?? am not into my economics but maybe you goonies will enlighten me..

Feeling a bit threatened?

No seriously, richest club stats change every year. What they are talking about is the income it generates not profit, no club in the world could make £200 million profit. Its not profit that is counted, its the club's income for the past financial year. So for now that is how it stands until the end of this financial year. The richest clubs of the world list will soon be populated after every team anounces it's financial stats.

A.J.   

you are right, because in terms of profit i think the richest club is Real Madrid without a doubt, but after that it is unclear. there is a good chance arsenal may take second place as Man utd now are 600 to 700 million pounds in debt so no matter what yearly profit they make i think they will struggle with their debt.

as to Chelsea's financial position,,, hmmm the less said the better i think.