Sign in to follow this  
Ameen

Exchange your efforts for Allah's reward

Ameen   

Here is a powerful short story I came across. Please take the time to read it and share your views about the lessons or opinions you have in regards to this story.

A Very Powerful Story

He remembered his grandmother's warning about praying on time: "My son, you shouldn't leave prayer to this late time". His grandmother's age was 70 but whenever she heard the Adhan, she got up like an arrow and performed Salah. He, however could never win over his ego to get up and pray. Whatever he did, his Salah was always the last to be offered and he prayed it quickly to get it in on time.

Thinking of this, he got up and realized that there were only 15 minutes left before Salat-ul Isha. He quickly made Wudhu and performed Salat-ul Maghrib. While making Tasbih, he

again remembered his grandmother and was embarrassed by how he had prayed. His grandmother prayed with such tranquility and peace.

He began making Dua and went down to make Sajdah and stayed like that for a while. He had been at school all day and was tired, so tired.

He awoke abruptly to the sound of noise and shouting. He was sweating profusely. He looked around. It was very crowded. Every direction he looked in was filled with people. Some stood frozen looking around, some were running left and right and some were on their knees with their heads in their hands just waiting.

Pure fear and apprehension filled him as he realized where he was. His heart was about to burst. It was the Day of Judgement. When he was alive, he had heard many things about the questioning on the Day of Judgement, but that seemed so long ago. Could this be something his mind made up? No, the wait and the fear were so great that he could not have imagined this. The interrogation was still going on. He began moving frantically from people to people to ask if his name had been called. No one could answer him. All of a sudden his name was called and the crowd split into two and made a passageway for him.

Two angels grabbed his arms and led him forward. He walked with

unknowing eyes through the crowd. The angels brought him to the center and left him there. His head was bent down and his whole life was passing in front of his eyes like a movie. He opened his eyes but saw only another world.

The people were all helping others. He saw his father running from one lecture to the other, spending his wealth in the way of Islam. His mother invited guests to their house and one table was being set while the other was being cleared. He pleaded his case, "I too was always on this path. I helped others. I spread the word of Allah. I performed my Salah. I fasted in the month of Ramadan. Whatever Allah ordered us to do, I did. Whatever he ordered us not to do, I did not." He began to cry and think about how much he loved Allah.

He knew that whatever he had done in life would be less than what Allah deserved and his only protector

was Allah.

He was sweating like never before and was shaking all over. His eyes were fixed on the scale, waiting for the final decision. At last, the decision was made. The two angels with sheets of paper in their hands, turned to the crowd. His legs felt like they were going to collapse. He closed his eyes as they began to read the names of those people who were to enter Jahannam.

His name was read first.

He fell on his knees and yelled that this couldn't be, "How could I go to Jahannam? I served others all my life, I spread the word of Allah to others". His eyes had become blurry and he was shaking with sweat. The two angels took him by the arms. As his feet dragged, they went through the crowd and advanced toward the blazing flames of Jahannam.

He was yelling and wondered if there was any person who was going to help him. He

was yelling of all the good deeds he had done, how he had helped his father, his fasts, prayers, the Qur'an that he read, he was asking if none of them would help him. The Jahannam angels continued to drag him.

They had gotten closer to the Hellfire. He looked back and these were his last pleas. Had not Rasulullah [saw] said, "How clean would a person be who bathes in a river five times a day, so too does the Salah performed five times cleanse someone of their sins"?

He began yelling, "My prayers? my prayers? my prayers." The two angels did not stop, and they came to the edge of the abyss of Jahannam. The flames of the fire were burning his face. He looked back one last time, but his eyes were dry of hope and he had nothing left in him.

One of the angels pushed him in. He found himself in the air and falling towards the flames.

He had just fallen five or six feet when a hand grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back.

He lifted his head and saw an old man with a long white beard. He wiped some dust off himself and asked him, "Who are you?" The old man replied, "I am your prayers". "Why are you so late! I was almost in the Fire! You rescued

me at the last minute before I fell in".

The old man smiled and shook his head, "You always performed me at the last minute, did you forget?"

At that instant, he blinked and lifted his head from Sajdah. He was in a sweat. He listened to the voices coming from outside. He heard the adhan for Salat-ul Isha. He got up quickly and went to perform Wudhu.

Pass this on to ur friends and family, and maybe u can help someone open their eyes........ and who knows?? maybe this is a good deed that can help you during

the day of judgement....right???

May Allah make us among those whom He saves and grants Junnah to.

And Allah knows best

Haseena   

Bismillah,

Salamu Calaykum Wa Raxmatullah,

Baraka Allah fikum for this great thread, may Allah make us amongst those who benefit from it/aamiin

Sahih Muslim

Book 042, Number 7138:

Suhaib (radiallahu anho) reported that Allah's Messenger (salallahu alaihi wasallam) said: Strange are the ways of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except in the

case of a believer for if he has an occasion to feel delight, he thanks (God), thus there is a good for him in it, and if he gets into trouble and shows resignation (and endures it patiently), there is a good for him in it.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here are some fine sayings from our noble scholars from the past May Allahs mercy be upon them/aamiin

"Truly in the heart there is a void that can not be removed except with the company of Allah. And in it there is a sadness that can not be removed except with the happiness of knowing Allah and being true to Him. And in it there is an emptiness that can not be filled except with love for Him and by turning to Him and always remembering Him. And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness."

-Ibn al Qayyim al Jawziyya

Ibn-Taymiyyah said, "For it is known that a person may be bequeathed with emaan even though he lacks knowledge. An emaan like this one could be snatched from his heart -like the emaan of Bani-Israel after they saw the calf. As for the one bequeathed with both, knowledge and emaan, emaan is never seized from his breast and such a person never reverts from Islam. Conversely, if one is bequeathed with Qur'an alone or emaan alone, emaan can be seized and this is the reality. We have seen it often that the most to revert from Islam are those who recite Qur'an, without understanding or emaan, or those who possess emaan without knowledge and Qur'an. But as for the one who has acquired Qur'an and emaan, and hence obtained knowledge, for this one, emaan is never seized from his heart and Allah knows best." (Majmou'a al-Fatawa18 /305).

Wa Calaykum Salam wa raxmatullah

Haneefah   

^Nice to see you back sis. Wonderful quotes, jazakallah.

Ameen, I had missed your request to share Ayah's earlier. Insha'Allah, I'll share some of the ones that randomly but repeatedly come to mind. Among them, the end of surahtul Fajr:

O tranquil soul!

Come back to your Lord, well-pleased, well-pleasing.

Enter then among My servants

And enter My Paradise!

May Allah elevate our souls to the level of mudhma inna, and allow us to hear that delightful call to jannah.

Originally posted by Kimiya:

Haneefah

I feel it in my fingers sister. Jizaak Allah for the reminder, it’s so easy to take your loved ones for granted. Anyways, I'm not a person of loving expressions but surely you know that I love you and me amiga Bonita *waves*. May Allah unite us in jannah

Allahuma Ameen. LoL@feeling it in the fingers, bal huuno qalbiga gaarsii icon_razz.gif Love you too hon, and Miss Bonita as well!

Aisha   

That is indeed a powerful, moving story Ameen! I came across this a couple of years ago and it really got to me. This story actually changed me! Because that boy, was me. I used to pray my isha in particular, really late. And so ever since I've read that story, I have made it my number 1 goal to pray on time. I used to use the excuse: "I'll just pray when I get home". But then that story would creep into my mind and I would think to myself, what if I don't make it home? What if I die on the way and then I will be questioned:"Why have you not prayed?" What the hell would I answer?

I got burnt the other day, and thought to myself, if I can't handle this little burn, how will I handle the fire of Allah?? Authubilah! May Allah have his mercy and Rahmah upon us!

Every muslim should read that story! Truly inspiring. smile.gif

Ameen   

Well said indeed Aisha. I use to always find myself praying Isha extremely late and I think the reason was that happening was simply because of some authentic hadeeths that I had come across and indicated the best time to pray Isha is at the middle of the night. In knowing this knowledge I tried to implement it but I quickly found out that Shaitain was working over-time to try to deceive me. Every time the middle of the night would come, I would see it go and I would delay it more. But, alhamdulilah I acknowledged the problem and I corrected myself but one key source of support was this story that I have posted.

May Allah grant us knowledge that benefits.

And Allah knows best

Blessed   

I've learnt the death of a friend last week. It's so weird the last time I saw her, I gave her a hug and that I'll try to visit them in Oman sometime. How we take life for granted?

If this was your last day on earth...what would you do/not do?

You don't have to share but it's worth thinking about.

Al-Ghazalee reflects on life....

Life is nothing but an accumulation of many breaths. So every breath is just a precious diamond which cannot be purchased with anything in the world. It is a priceless jewel which has got no substitute in value. So in movements and talks, and in sorrows and happiness, such a priceless breath should not be spent in vain. To destroy it is to court destruction. An intelligent man cannot lose it. When a man gets up at dawn, he should enter into an agreement with himself just as a tradesman contracts with his partner. At that time, he should address his mind thus: O mind, you have been given no other property as precious as life. When it will end, the principal will end and despondency will come in seeking profit in business. Today is a new day. Allah has given you time, that is, He has delayed your death. He has bestowed upon you innumerable gifts. Think that you are already dead. So don't waste time. Every breath is a precious jewel. Man has got for each day and night twenty-four treasure houses in twenty-four hours. Fill up these then find them filled up with divine sights in the world next. If they are not filled up with good works, they will be filled up with intense darkness wherefrom a bad stench will come out and envelop them all around. Another treasure house will neither give him happiness nor sorrow. That is an hour in which he slept, or was careless, or was engaged in any lawful work of this world. He will feel grieved for its remaining vacant.

[Taken from al-Ghazali: Meditation and Introspection, The Book of Constructive Virtues, Ihya Ulum-id-din.]

Ameen   

Kimiya sister, may Allah have mercy on your firend and grant her a safe home in the hereafter.

I came across an interesting hadeeth today and Im not sure how many of yall have ever come across it before but Im sure there are some lessons that can be learned from it..

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 24:

Narrated Sahl bin Sad As-Sa'idi: A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have come to give you myself in marriage (without Mahr)." Allah's Apostle looked at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer?" The man said, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and see if you have something." The man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, I have not found anything." Allah's Apostle said, "(Go again) and look for something, even if it is an iron ring." He went again and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find even an iron ring, but this is my Izar (waist sheet)." He had no rida. He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said, "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will be naked, and if she wears it, you will be naked." So that man sat down for a long while and then got up (to depart). When Allah's Apostle saw him going, he ordered that he be called back. When he came, the Prophet said, "How much of the Quran do you know?" He said, "I know such Sura and such Sura," counting them. The Prophet said, "Do you know them by heart?" He replied, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Go, I marry her to you for that much of the Quran which you have."

So what lessons did you pull out of this hadeeth after reading it? Share and I will looking forward to reading your posts inshallah.

And Allah knows best

Aisha   

aawwwww thats a beautiful hadith! It shows that you dont need material things to get married. Marriage is ment to be easy and simple!

Subhanallah my cousin got married a year ago and is still paying off the debt! The man in this hadith only gave his wife to be, some surahs from the quran and not even in a book but from his memory!! It's amazing to see the difference btw us and the ppl of that time.

"O Allah's Apostle! I have come to give you myself in marriage (without Mahr)." Allah's Apostle looked at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down.

The women back then were so strong mashaallah!! I would never be able to do that. I would just pass out right there and then!

Haseena   

Bismillah

Salamu Calaykum wa Raxmatullah,

The lessons to be learned and drawn from this last hadith is if the man does not have anything to offer which is materialistic in value, he could be married of with her if he knows a portion from the quran that could serve as mahr, if the woman agrees to it.

Sister Aisha, it is important that we insha Allah do not confuse this situation of the sahabi with the situation of any man who's working or earning a living.

Many of the scholars have agreed upon that mahr is the right of the woman and that it should be weighted or given in 'materialism'. It's common among some people to ask well give me as a mehr the quran, or haj. When in reality that does not serve as mehr due to it's lack of having any materialistic value, haj on the other hand could be measured in value. How much does haj cost these days etc and the man could give the amount it costs to go to haj to the woman if she agrees.

The fact that the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam) asked the man what do you have to offer her, and asked the man to go look for something on different occasions, just emphasizes the importance of giving the woman something of value. Let us not forget the woman offered her self to the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam) without mahr, still the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam)when the other man showed interest, stressed that he should look for something to give her.

It is closer to Taqwa to be mild when asking in mahr, yet the sisters should know it is a God given right and should not feel guilty about asking what they want. A woman has the right to ask for a mountain of gold, perhaps she will never be married if she asked for that. Iinsha allah anyone should reason when dealing with mahr, and look at what their spouse to be is able to give.

Any man who agrees to pay or give something beyond his scope is him self to blame, marriage should not be based on debts.

mantra   

Assalamu Alaykum,

May Allah reward you all for your contributions, just like Kimiya I learnt the death of a loved one this week, may Allah have mercy on His slaves. I pray we never forget our imminent demise.

The prophet saw said; Allah's Messenger (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wasallam) said:"The gift of a believer is death." [1609]

I remembered this hadith and I've been asking myself what I will leave behind if my time runs out..

The Prophet (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wasallam) said, "Verily what a believer continues to receive (in the form of reward) for his action and his virtues after his death is the knowledge which he acquired and then disseminated, the pious son that he left behind him, or a copy of the Qur'an which he left as a legacy, or the mosques that he had built, or the inn that he had built for the wayfarers, or the canal that he caused to flow, or a sadaqah which he gave out of his property in the state when he was healthy and alive. (These are the acts of goodness the reward of which) reaches him even after his death." [254]

Khalaf   

^^^May Allah grant the mumins paradise Ameen..... there are non-muslims that read this n that hadith says pious son, in Islam there is no distinction between sons/daughters......i remember the last furneral i went to i didnt know the person, but attended the burial.....i was on the 2nd row could see the casket clearly, we prayed over him he was brother 24 years old, then carried the casket, to the graveyard, dug the grave and laid him in with only white sheet lifeless dang....shit looking in the da grave hole ya rab scary site man :D ...u realize how life is very short....i dont fear death for myself....but my family diff....i remember one time i was told my moms was in car accident at school and she was in the hospital...i got a sick feeling walaa, nothin mattered na mean....we seek in Allah refuge from harm....i think my moms would die of heartattack if somethin happened to us, her love is uncomparable dats why jannah is at feet of mothers walaa serve your mothers.......mida kale when i imagine the next life its hard :D ....but we ask Allah to forgive us and grant us jannah inshallah, Amiin.

"There will be bounties which no eye has seen, no ear has heard and no human heart has ever perceived.'' He (may Allah’s blessings and peace be upon him) then recited this Verse:

"They forsake their beds to cry unto their Lord in fear and hope, and spend of what We have bestowed on them. No soul knows what is kept hid from them of joy, as a reward for what they used to do.’ [Qur’an, 32: 16-17]

[Al-Bukhari]

Blessed   

Salaaaaaaaaama my good people. I hope you guys are okaay! smile.gif

I missed ya'll and this thread...

[The mountain pass] is the freeing of a slave / Or feeding on a day of severe hunger / An orphan of near relationship / Or a needy person [grasping the dirt] in misery / And then being among those who believed and advised one another to Sabr [patience] and advised one another to Rahmah [compassion] / Those are the companions of the right (Al-Balad 90/11-18).

Discuss....

Ameen   

Originally posted by Zenobia:

I missed ya'll and this thread...

quote:

[The mountain pass] is the freeing of a slave / Or feeding on a day of severe hunger / An orphan of near relationship / Or a needy person [grasping the dirt] in misery / And then being among those who believed and advised one another to Sabr [patience] and advised one another to Rahmah [compassion] / Those are the companions of the right (Al-Balad 90/11-18).

Alhamdulilah that Allah has made us Muslims. Personally...Its been awhile since Ive looked at this thread and alhamdulilah I learned so much from it...as for Surah Al-Balad, I love it. I find myself reciting the last few ayaats in that surah so often. May Allah make us among those that act according to His commands.

Khalaf   

Superiority of the Poor

1. Harithah bin Wahb (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Shall I not inform you about the people of Jannah? It is every person who is, modest and humble (before Allah), a person who is accounted weak and is looked down upon but if he adjures Allah, Allah will certainly give him what he desires. Now shall I not inform you about the inmates of Hell? It is every violent, impertinent and proud man".

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us about distinction of such weak, poor and secluded persons who do not have any important position in society but are so eminent in the realm of piety that, out of their utmost trust in Allah, if they take an oath for something, Almighty Allah fulfills their oath. Thus, this Hadith highlights the importance of modesty and condemns pride, miserliness and lust for name and fame.

2. Sahl bin Sa`d As-Sa`idi (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A man passed by the Prophet (PBUH), so he asked a man who was sitting near him, "What is your opinion about this man?'' That man replied: "He is one of the noblest men. By Allah he is certainly a proper person for (a girl) being given in marriage if he seeks to marry, and his recommendation is fit to be accepted if he recommends". Messenger of Allah (PBUH) remained silent. Then another man passed. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) enquired, "What is your opinion about this man?'' He replied: "O Messenger of Allah, he is one of the poor Muslims. He is not a proper person (for a girl) to be given in marriage to, and his recommendation would not be accepted if he makes one; if he speaks, he is not to be listened to.'' Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He is better than the former by earthfuls".

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith contains the following two important points:

1. The distinction and greatness of such poor Muslims who are neither known in society because due to their poverty nor are they respected by people. But due to their Faith and piety, each of them is better in the sight of Allah than others. This Hadith makes it abundantly clear that what really matters with Allah is Faith and piety not lineage nor pomp and show.

2. For marriage purposes, men and women of noble character should be selected even if they are poor because at the level of religion they are on par with other Muslims. Thus, the principle underlined here is that the preference should be given to the equality in respect of religion rather than worldly wealth and richness.

Khalaf   

Start with yourself:

A man was on his death bed, Someone asked him to give some wise counsel before he departed, the world he Said.

" When I was young I wanted to change the world and solve its problems, As I got older I realized that perhaps I should lower my sights, I thought I would be better served in changing my country as time went on I realized that people of country could not be changed. I decided to change the people of my town , but they also did not wish to change, When I reached my old age I thought I would try changing my Family, here also I found my endeavors go to waste, try as I might my family members would not change.

" Now that I am on my death bed, I have realized that if I had sought to improve myself, and removed my own defects, then perhaps my family members would have been influenced. Then seeing the behavior of my family people of my town would have been influenced. By seeing the spiritual change and improvement of the people of my town, the people of my country would have been influenced. And perhaps through the people of my country the world may have been influenced."

The son of Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) use to say: At evening do not expect [to live till] morning, and at morning do not expect [to live till] evening. Take from your health for your illness and from your life for your death. (Bukhari).

Umar Al Farooq(ra). Said:

" Judge Yourselves before you yourselves are judged;and weigh yourselves before you yourselves are weighed in the balance. When you are brought to account tomorrow, it will be much easier for you if you have already brought your selves to account today-so do so, before you come to the final gathering "