Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland opens coca-cola Company in the capital city of hargeysa +VIDEO

ailamos   

Although the investment give a short-term boost to the SL economy, I find it rather short-sighted that the authorities allowed Coca Cola to build a plant on top of an aquifer in a region where water is already in short supply and a precious resource. According to a University of Michigan report, Coca Cola uses an average of 3.12 to 3.75 liters of water to produce one liter of Coke

When Coca Cola exhausts this aquifer, where is the water going to come from? Perhaps another aquifer, and another... and so on. Somaliland isn't as rich as the Arab Gulf countries to run a desalination plants for its drinking water needs, so what other alternative is there?

Here's the an exceprt from the above referenced University of Michigan report:

Starting in 2002, news of some small protests against Coke, involving local Indian farmers and activists, particularly in the state of Kerala, began to make local headlines. Coke operated three bottling facilities in Kerala and farmers claimed that the facilities were draining their groundwater supplies and polluting the local water supply, causing water shortages and contamination. At the time, Coca-Cola reported that it was pulling water out of deep bore wells, extracting about 500,000 liters of water per day to produce drinks such as Coke, Fanta, and bottled water. Protestors said that Coke was draining up to four times that amount. These protests were followed by a 2003 Kerala high court ruling that shuttered Coke’s largest bottling facility, a $25-million plant, in Kerala, Plachimada, that was operated by its local subsidiary Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages. The court determined that Coke had to find an alternative to groundwater for its operations, stating that groundwater was a national resource and the plant was siphoning off so much water that local wells were drying up completely.

Somaliland will be next.

Carafaat   

ailamos;782890 wrote:
Although the investment give a short-term boost to the SL economy, I find it rather short-sighted that the authorities allowed Coca Cola to build a plant on top of an aquifer in a region where water is already in short supply and a precious resource. According to a
report, Coca Cola uses an average of 3.12 to
liters of water to produce one liter of Coke

When Coca Cola exhausts this aquifer, where is the water going to come from? Perhaps another aquifer, and another... and so on. Somaliland isn't as rich as the Arab Gulf countries to run a desalination plants for its drinking water needs, so what other alternative is there?

Here's the an exceprt from the above referenced University of Michigan report:

Somaliland will be next.

Let me correct you sxb:

-First, its not only a boost in investment and emloypment creation. But most of all because Cola is now imported less foreign currency will flow out of the country. Which is healthier for a sustainable economy.

-Second, Somaliland is not a desert. there is enough rainfall, the problem is not that there is a shortage of water in Somaliland, but a shortage of water catchment, production, transportation of clean water. Cola factory will pump its own water from the nearby dry river (Jaleelo is 30km outside Hargeysa) and purify its own and therefor does not lay capacity on the water resources of the people.

-Third, if Cola factory sells 1 milion liter of coke, you say they will use 3 million liters of water? that is the same amount of water 3 households use in the west on annually.

ailamos   

Carafaat;782904 wrote:
Let me correct you sxb:

-First, its not only a boost in investment and emloypment creation. But most of all because Cola is now imported less foreign currency will flow out of the country. Which is healthier for a sustainable economy.

-Second, Somaliland is not a desert. there is enough rainfall, the problem is not that there is a shortage of water in Somaliland, but a shortage of water catchment, production, transportation of clean water. Cola factory will pump its own water from the nearby dry river (Jaleelo is 30km outside Hargeysa) and purify its own and therefor does not lay capacity on the water resources of the people.

-Third, if Cola factory sells 1 milion liter of coke, you say they will use 3 million liters of water? that is the same amount of water
3 households use in the west on annually.

If what you say is indeed true (I've heard otherwise on BBC Radio), that Coca Cola will pump and purify "its own" water from a nearby dry river (presumably from flash floods), then the issue is different. My point of contention is the use of aquifers.

Furthermore, we're not talking about the "West", we're talking about Somaliland, who cares if the West wastes their resources, it is ours that we need to take care of. Anyhow, most northern countries get far more rain, and their aquifers recharge at a faster rate than a region that is dry for most of the year.

Oodweyne, I just hope this doesn't spell a rush to exploit whatever resources we have left, while our people remain poor.

Well, I'm glad Ailamos raised the environmental concerns behind those deals (and environmental engineers or campaigners are badly needed); these are the real issues we should focus and put our energy into (alongside the equality priority).

Now, let's hope those soda drinks are heavily taxed;

there was a ban on junk food outlets in poor areas in even L.A, so public health, equality and environment should matters rather than short-term profits for some (and the chinese now realise that more money means nothing if you get toxic air, poisoned water and new diseases).

If you want to invest, then build clinics, schools, or light industries in irrigation tools, construction or textiles (regulation is paramount to avoid a paradise for the few but worsening hell for the rest).

Do you guys know that in Cuba, even pest control is chemicals free and urban agriculture on small plots is a significant sector?

Now, that is a far better model than China in every respect (as a world model in terms of equality, health access or sustainability)...

I think ailamos is on too something here. I remember reading that the production of this facility is severely limited due to the lack of water availability hence they had to forgo the option to use glass bottles as they would need millions of gallons per anum just to clean them. So they have opted for plastic with possibly an Indian firm offering recycling options. so to me it seems like they will be using the limited ground water sources. I can foresee issues if this is the case, as nearby is where most of the water tankers that ply their trade in Hargeisa fill up.

Abwaan   

I can't watch the video balse saaxiibaday iga korreeya ayaan ku kalsoonaanayaa bogaadinta anna dhinacayga ayaan uga biirayaa...Waa hawl wanaagsan!