Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Mogadishu 2012

BN   

Thought I would share today's New York Times article on the New Mogadishu. Very uplifting, and nice to see recognition for this positive news in the int'l press.

A Taste of Hope in Mogadishu

By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

Published: April 3, 2012

MOGADISHU, Somalia — Up until a few weeks ago, all visitors who landed at Aden Abdulle International Airport in Mogadishu were handed a poorly copied, barely readable sheet that asked for name, address — and caliber of weapon.

No more. Now visitors get a bright yellow welcome card that has no mention of guns and several choices for reason of visit, including a new category: holiday.

Outside, on Mogadishu’s streets, the thwat-thwat-thwat hammering sound that rings out in the mornings is not the clatter of machine guns but the sound of actual hammers. Construction is going on everywhere — new hospitals, new homes, new shops, a six-story hotel and even sports bars (albeit serving cappuccino and fruit juice instead of beer). Painters are painting again, and Somali singers just held their first concert in more than two decades at the National Theater, which used to be a weapons depot and then a national toilet. Up next: a televised, countrywide talent show, essentially “Somali Idol.”

Full Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/world/africa/somalis-embrace-hope-and-reconstruction-in-mogadishu.html

Photo slideshow (not sure how to upload): http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/04/03/world/africa/20120405-SOMALIA.html?ref=africa#1

Somalia   

Caano_Geel;813901 wrote:
Where is abaayo Somalina?
:(

Somalina, is banned for constantly insulting other nomads on this forum and even challenging admins to do something about it. In the past, Admin tried to reason with this senior nomad in private to no avail.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/showthread.php/50968-List-of-individuals-that-are-banned-from-Somalia-Online

Somalia;813906 wrote:
Somalina, is banned for constantly insulting other nomads on this forum and even challenging admins to do something about it. In the past, Admin tried to reason with this senior nomad in private to no avail.

And I wonder who was behind it all , no one gets banned unless someone else was behind it.

I guess we can blame the the pirates of the ocean .

In my country, guys don't follow girls around whenever they go so they can settle an argument. I'm just saying.

And of course, the pirates everyone has problem with them, they seem to get people's.

Somalia   

No one followed her, she intervened in a conversation between me and Duke. And she got banned when she hurled insults around.

She had it coming, now let it go.