Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Are we a rude people?

gooni   

Somaalidu waxay caan ku ahayd dhaqan muslin oo naxariis iyo karam ama marti soor, soo dhaweyn iyo sii dhaweyn amaan leh, waji furnaan musaamax ka muuqdo, intaan fitnadu dhex galin.,reer miyigu eed malahan 'rude'nimo iyo umad dhaxani hayso wax tar la'aan iyo shirar badan waxay nooga timid qurbaha ama waxaad afka qalaad loogu yeero darmuus baraha.

Malika   

^Sheikh waa kuu sidee? I believe both are equally wrong, hypocrisy and rudeness aren't what we should at any time engage in.. Good manners and noble characteristics are one of the most important aspects of a Muslim's life it is for him/her to have high standards of morals. From the beginning of Islam, our Prophet Muhammed [s.A.W] was mainly concern with the teaching and disciplining Muslims to have best manners and the best personal characters. To have best manners is to be in consideration of others, tact, diplomacy and hospitality.

It is reported by Imaam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammed [s.A.W] mentioned that :

"The best of you is the best among you in conduct" reported by Bukhari and Muslim

Ps. Ina Jaad, illahi haa kuu sahlo.

My main concern is that mosques and other model institutions should be frequented and run by people with manners;

I have even further restricted my social circle (I'm seen as a loner) but still resist the temptation to limit myself to few people with shared backgrounds etc as not to stagnate.

It's now too evident that those with the most frustrations or insecurities tend to be also the meanest (illiterates, former addicts etc).

Likewise, one tends to be better treated too sometimes by others from the same clan/ region and I no longer get shocked or annoyed by the initial asking about your clan.

However, one can learn a lot from getting out of his comfort zone and even obnoxious/rude Somalis can have good sides;

it is thus always far more profitable to be forgiving and learn from others's positive sides/achievements (you get also lots of happiness from helping others).

PS: diabetes, diet, lack of exercise or meditation, frustrations and linked brain or mind perturbances etc are a big factor, particularly among groups such as Somalis where it's vital to promote healthy lifestyles and habits such as running, non-processed foods and spirituality (that would save families and communities as much as if not more than promoting reading or a learning focus)...

ElPunto   

There is a difference between obnoxiousness and rudeness. IMO most Somalis are obnoxious. When they speak loudly, or ask questions about your qabiil and how much you make when you barely know them - that is obnoxious. Because they don't know where the boundaries lie. Someone was telling me about a visit to Somalia - and in a restaurant people kept asking for the waiter in this way - war jar**rki ugu yeer. For these ppl it's not a put down - in fact when asked why refer to him that way - they say waa qabiilkiisa dee. All this needs is proper tarbiyaa in the home and the greater society.

Having been to the middle east many times - everyone treats South Asians like that - even other South Asians. That's not much of a surprise.

Garnaqsi   
Here in the UK I find that people who weren't born and did not grow up in this country or Europe in general tend to be quite rude. I've had several jobs where I had to deal with the general population and people who grew up in this country tend to be very polite whereas people from countries like Somalia and Nigeria sit on the other end of the spectrum. To be honest, our rudeness doesn't disturb me as much as the fact that being racist/using ethnic slurs happens to be almost acceptable among us does. I find that far more disgusting!

Waa arrin aan ka yaabey. Every time I come home from a large somali muxaadaro, I promise my self that I'll not go there again due to repeating rude incidents.

Yet I find my self going there again. I think lack of patience triggers something. Just standing in a line and waiting for ones turn, or not pushing the person before you to the side, seem to be difficult. I agree with those saying before me, that scholars should stress the importance of good manners and its great virtues during their lectures. From what i've seen it should be a top priority.

Som@li   

Abu-Salman;770386 wrote:
My main concern is that mosques and other model institutions should be frequented and run by people with manners;

I have even further restricted my social circle (I'm seen as a loner) but still resist the temptation to limit myself to few people with shared backgrounds etc as not to stagnate....

It is a good start, Agree mosques should be run by people with good manners, but you are assuming most Somalis are connected to mosque and influenced by it. More somalis go to Fadhi kudirir, Aroos,parties instead of mosques.

Mustafe   

^^ I think the rude ones are purposefully avoiding this thread, lol.

But to be honest, I don't mind their general rudeness, infact I find it rather amusing sometimes. Usually if I see a rude looking oday or islaan, I have the habit or staring them a bit longer, lest they do something funny, like yelling at some one who may have failed to fulfill their expectations, or completely turn around and walk off while some one is still talking to them. Natural incidents like that can be a source of priceless humour if you happen to be at the right place at the right time lol.

Also, as couple of people have mentioned already,sida Somalidu wax u profile gareyso racially waa wax ceeb weyn inoo keeni kara. If you go and watch TV with big number of your own families for 30 mins you will know what I'm talking about. You will not only find that no ethnicity on earth has impressed them thus far, but that they won't be impressed by any in the near future. I suppose failure is a state of mind, lol.

N.O.R.F   

Cheh,

They would like to think they do (and there is no problem with that). It doesn’t negate their observations of rude/obnoxious behaviour by other Somalis.

Abu Salman,

I don’t think much can be done. You would hope those who know better would use whatever influence they have to stress the importance of manners. There are so many Somali TV stations with many religious programmes (although in a haphazard manner). I’m sure an email or telephone call to them could set the ball rolling.