Sign in to follow this  
Nina Fox

An African in Africa

Nina Fox   

Never had welwel about travelling anywhere in my life but my imminent trip to Kenya is giving me sleepless nights. First off all last time I was in Africa, I had no teeth and haven't been back ever since.

I got a job offer in Nairobi and don't know anybody there. The little qaraabo I heard who live there inaan raadiyo ma rabo, I wanna make it without qeylo and buuuq lolz. Qaraabo are just not on my to-do list when I get there Insha Allah.

So here is where you guys come in---Considering the fact that Im ignorant in everything Africa....I need tips on where to find a nice appartment. Im sure a few of you frequent the place I so dread.

So hit me with info bal----and thanx in advance :)

Welcome back bal horta .... :D

The only thing you need to know about Nairobi now is you will never feel you're in Africa as long as you are instide Nairobi. It is just part of Europe you're living in. So nothing to worry about apart from the robbery that happens all the time.

There are few SOLers there right now ,,,, I think we can hook u up if you're not scared of them ,, :D

I might be going there for work sometime in January IA ,,,, maybe for a week or so ....

Hadii aadan rabin ehelka/qaraabada, af Swahili (iyo kikuyo) si fiican u baro saad u fahantid. I lived in Nairobi for 5yrs after the war and left '97. It was nice when i was there. I heard it changed alot since then. If you can get in contact with our Kenyan SoLers so that they can show you around, its even better. Good luck. And keep us updated on how things are going.

STOIC   

Even after living in qurbo for so long I'm still protective of our females, so i will advice you to get in contact with your qaraboo.You will need that sense of care and connectedness...I'm sure you will be independent with your handsome perks.Even if someone tells you about the nicer neighborhood you will still need someone to show you around...So swallow your pride and get some family contacts and then make your decisions...

Nina Fox   

No, No, No Gentlemen. Please dont misunderstand me. I did not mean Im not going to mingle with my family there, I meant I would prefer to be prepared when I get there as far as accommodation is concerned so I dont inconvenience them or myself. Anigoo diyaar eh inaa Masaii infested Airport ka dago ayaan rabaay Insha Allah. Im just being paranoid, Im sure I can lay off the caalacal and look for a place after I get there. In hindsight my comment does come across as if Im anti-qaraabo loolz, my bad. Besides I can't avoid them even if I tried, they will track me down.

So I've been busy since I posted this comment. The amount of digging I did, I should be recruited by Al Kabaab. Anywho I was told by an unreliable source that some appartments cost a fair amount, the reason:- they have constant running water as opposed to other places not having that luxury. Waaba naxsanahay ilaahey amarkiis. My fear of Africa and its non-existing amenities is creeping in fast. I tried the Somali online "Kiro" agencies, not very informative. No luck so far......I hate moving to a new country I have no prior knowledge on :rolleyes: I once backpacked through China as a teenager & never was I this shaken about it. Maybe Im getting old......:)

PS: BTW I appreciate your kind comments & tips, thanx for looking out 4 moi----Keep'em flowing, Ilaahey khayr ha idin siiyee---Jazakallah kheyr.

Taleexi   

Good luck. War Addis baan u jeedaa Axaddan for ten days ee waa sidee xaalkeedu? .... Didn't mean to hijack the Nina's thread.

Su'aala horta kala dhig dhig. Maxaa rabtaa ogaatid, meel aad degtid? Intee rabtaa inaa degtid? Islii maku jirta mise you don't intend to live there. Flat noocee rabtaa, mid qalabeysan mise mid adiga alaabta dhiganeysid?

Su'aalahaaga soo kala dhig dhig horta.

Somalia   

Nin-Yaaban;768649 wrote:
Hadii aadan rabin ehelka/qaraabada, af Swahili (iyo kikuyo) si fiican u baro saad u fahantid. I
lived in Nairobi for 5yrs after the war and left '97. It was nice when i was there.
I heard it changed alot since then. If you can get in contact with our Kenyan SoLers so that they can show you around, its even better. Good luck. And keep us updated on how things are going.

Bisinka, how old are you?

Nina Fox   

MMA loooooooooooooool@ soo kala dhig dhig ku qosleey. My trip is not a short term plan, Im gonna move there Insha Allah. All I need is a 2 bedroom apartment (with running water ofcourse).

-No xaafad preference.

-Furnished/Non-furnished---As long as its close to civilization & I can commute to/from work, Im good to go

I dont have the details of the location of my office as yet, still waiting. Funny thing is even if they hit me with an address meesha maba kala aqaano, it wud be a waste. I will let you guys know, location might give you a clearer idea,,sax?

Thanks bro

Cawaale   

Welcome home Nina.

This got me giggling wallahi. "Considering the fact that Im ignorant in everything Africa....I need tips on where to find a nice appartment." Africa is not block Abaayo. joking. :D

Where is MMA and Nuune? they are the real Africans here.:D

Juxa   

Nina i was going to come around and bring you key, S has a house there:)

since aadan qaraabo rabin orod webi shabeele soo rinjiyee bal

Hi Nina,

Eastleigh is not a place u can sattle believe me . well at least for now . The place u can sattle will be Hallingham , there r nice apartments and not far from the town. South C alsonot bad but the traffic in the morning is a killer one so wouldn't advice u tht.

Also, there r other nice flats in upperhill which is just next to the town but I guess it will be expensive !!

Sorry of my writings . Am typing this while on Matatu no 9 . I feel my head is gonna explode .