Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

THE PIRATE TAPES: Documentary Film on Pirates

Abwaan   

Promotion for Las Qoray pirates? This kid first thinks that Pirates from his clan are cool compared to those in Harardheere and Eyl because they admit their criminal activity in front of the camera and he later finds out that they set him a trap. And his father is a politician? lol

Funny and good program, he's cool young man who did something simple yet seems extremely dangerous to the peaceful outside world. Nothing is wrong in presenting or shape your opinion the message you want to portray to your audience. Everyone does it, journalists do it, TV presenters do it and documentary makers do it.

Thankful   

Huh? Did you see labels in gave certain tribes? It was outrageous!

Even if someone was to say it about people from another country it would be unacceptable but to to say it about your own people - particularly when it is coming from someone raised outside of Somalia like many of us.

This is definitely not a documentary that will unite us.

Showqi   

Check@0:21minutes, where the pirate is telling him how much money he received from the seven different ships he hijacked. Now check the amounts given in the subtitle, it's soooooooooo wrong.

I went to the UK premier of this film in London, we perhaps numbered 4 Somalis in the theater surrounded by wasungus who made up about 98% of the crowd. IR students, lecturers, film makers, charity heads, aid workers etc. The film itself wasn't that impressive, full of holes in plot and as Showqi points out the subtitles were way out, one got the feeling quite on purpose. The protagonist of the story was very un-pc in his description of other Somali tribes, and i got a strong whiff of insidious undertones to the film. He's good at highlighting the toxic dumping issues, but fails miserably in other areas. The story wasn't so much about piracy and the state of Somalia as a whole but his so-called 'adventure' however contrived it appeared. A missed opportunity at genuine story telling.

Yeah the numbers are vastly exaggerated,dramatic licence I suppose

Btw this is Old English from S/Net

Here he is telling us those white guys ripped him off

Som@li   

They could have done a better job,

But it is good they raised and discussed core issues like

-Illegal fishing, trawlers

-Damping of industrial toxic wastage

-desperation from the the Somalis, No life,so not worried about the risk of piracy,lawlessness

I didn't like how he used his family, and they appointed him as Sultan, that part was stup!d.

I like the part where he talked to Geedi, and shown his mansion. lol