Sign in to follow this  
ugaas1

What career should I pick

Garnaqsi   

This thread has become a joke! What are people basing the suggestions on? Typical Somalis obsessed with medicine! :P

STOIC;764984 wrote:
Graduate Degree in Sciences/Social Science: You will be a college professor with a decent inceome and job security if you ever become an associate professor after toiling many years as an assistant professor on a tenure track (if you lucky). I know of Somali guy that has a PHD in Pathology and does research in disease pathology with a big lab that is funded...A good career if you are curious enough.

It should be mentioned that lots of science graduates end-up with jobs that aren't either research or teaching - for example, IT/computing, finance, engineering, finance, banking, actuarial and so on. I remember reading in somewhere that for economic analysis positions people with maths degrees are preferred over those with economic degrees. (Not surprising - I've friends who studied economics at one of the best universities in the world and yet can't do basic maths. No wonder the economy crashed!) :P

Journalism: Chances are you might NOT be next Rageh Omar and if you think you have high chances of breaking in this industry go for it and you will either make it or become a PR office worker....

It should also be mentioned that people who become successful in Journalism have usually studied something else other than Journalism. For example, Rageh studied Modern History. If you look into the profiles of the editors of British newspapers you will probably find that none of them studied Journalism. The chances are they studied History or English or something similar. I bet even the editor of the Daily Mail didn't study Journalism! It can't even serve as a path-way to the career that it was supposed to lead to.

I would say study something science and maths related; but above all something that interests you and that you enjoy. Stay clear from arts subjects whatever you do. Make sure you go to a red brick/russel group university if you are in the UK and still applying; go nowhere else and stay clear from former polytechnics even if this means deferring a year. Make sure that you get a first (class degree). If you do this, regardless of the degree that you study (so long as it it highly scientific/mathmatical), all career paths shall remain open to you.

Garnaqsi   

OdaySomali;764996 wrote:
I would say study something science and maths related; but above all something that interests you and that you enjoy. Stay clear from arts subjects whatever you do. Make sure you go to a red brick/russel group university if you are in the UK and still applying; go nowhere else and stay clear from former polytechnics even if this means deferring a year. Make sure that you get a first (class degree). If you do this, regardless of the degree that you study (so long as it it highly scientific/mathmatical), all career paths shall remain open to you.

Best advice given so far!

STOIC   

Garnaqsi, Since you quoted me and questioned all Somalis capabilities of giving advice on a career choice to the brother let me say that I mentioned in my original reply that I based my advice on my friends.Now everyone knows that you don't need to be Journalism major to be a journalist nor do most of the science /engineering majors end up teaching or doing research only.Its a given fact that people move around and do different things with their degree.Now our obsession with medicine comes from our parents encounter of doctors as the only professionals they have known in their respective countries.

Now career advice is NOT something easy .Everyone finds their own way of accepting their fates.I just don't buy the whole do what you love thing (maybe it is because I never had the luxury of choosing because of responsibilities). As an immigrant I would always advice kids to do something practical with this day and age of rising student loans.Heck even UPS driver makes more than most of college educated majors (they make around 100000)....Sometimes you don't even need college degree to make a good living...

A good friend of mine is a corporate lawyer.His route was accounting (first degree) and then law school.Today he has the luxury of forming his own Tax consulting company after working for a major fortune 500 companies.You can always tweak your career and do what you think will give you a comfortable life!

learn mandarin and study manufacturing with a strong quants based degree. You cant go wrong. Future proof and bullet proof. If you enjoy that sort of thing obviously.

NGONGE   

A Somali does not choose a career, a Somali (like his lifestyle) wanders into one. Still, never thought I'd see a day when an ugaas would ask for career help. :D

Urban   

Remember that you will possibly work in a particular career for more than 30 years so don't let your parents pressure you too much. If you are serious about the spending time with kids, then the only 2 jobs I can think of is becoming a teacher or a pediatrician.

If you are into the technical side of computers, then I second the Computer Sciences advice. I've been told that software development pays a lot of money, and although difficult at first, it can be fun. My colleague's brother works as a software developer, he creates Apple and Android apps amongst other things. You can earn up to £50k before reaching 30. And depending on the type of company you work for, you could be sent to work abroad for short term contracts.

Finally and the most important point, consider your future family life and where you'd want to raise your kids. You might decide one day to go back home or live in a different Islamic country, so you'd need to have a qualification that can get you a job over there. Leave your writing as a hobby, there's nothing wrong with that, and find something in physics or medicine that you find interesting.

I wish I had studied harder back in school and 6th Form, but instead I just drew all the time, and now that I want to return to the Middle East for good, my area of work doesn't exists over there yet.

Just pray for guidance, Allah knows best!

Just know that careers are chosen AFTER graduating from university by persuing graduate qualifications e.g. LPC, ACA etc. The type of degree, the institution at which you studied and your degree classification will either widen or narrow your choice of careers. If you do want to persue medecine, then whether this option is open to youd epends really on your past academic performance but this career choice is made at entering university. So my advice is:

1) Study at a russul group/ red-brick univeristy

2) Do a [pure] science degree (maths, chemistry etc.) or science related degree (engineering etc). Stick with it even if you do not like it because a science degree opens more choices up for you. At all cost stay well clear from arts subjects and social 'sciences' (bar economics from a reputable institution).

3) Try to get a 1st in your degree.

4) If you must study an arts subject, do so only at (again) a russel group/red brick uni and make damn sure to get a 1st.