Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

devastated by the suicide of gary speed. why would a man on top of the world commit suicide?

'He had everything... I just can't believe it': World of football in shock after 'suicide' of Welsh football boss Gary Speed, 42

Body found hanged at his home in Cheshire

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances

Tributes flood in for the former Wales star

Ryan Giggs: 'I'm devastated.'

Minute's silence held at Premiership match shortly after the news broke

Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given in tears on the pitch

Former teammate Robbie Savage breaks down on live TV

England star Michael Owen: 'Just cannot believe the news. I'm numb'

By LEON WATSON

Last updated at 7:12 PM on 27th November 2011

Comments (452)

Found dead: Gary Speed, with his wife Louise, attending Shay Given's Fashion Kicks event held at Lancashire County Cricket Club in Manchester

The world of football was in shock today after Wales manager Gary Speed was found hanged at his home in Cheshire.

The former Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton star, who appeared on BBC's Football Focus show yesterday, was aged 42.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death, which is thought to be suicide. He leaves his wife Louise and two sons.

As news of the tragedy struck, tributes flooded in for the Wales boss who only retired from playing last year, after winning 85 caps and scoring seven goals for his country.

A hastily-arranged minute's silence was held at Swansea City's match against Aston Villa at the Liberty Stadium after the news broke today.

Former teammate Shay Given, now Villa's goalkeeper, was seen in floods of tears before the match.

The Football Association of Wales today confirmed that their manager had died.

In a statement, the FAW said: 'The Football Association of Wales are sad to announce the death of the national team manager Gary Speed.

'We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time.'

A Cheshire Police spokesman added: 'At 7.08am today Cheshire Police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntingdon, Chester.

'Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

'There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and the family have requested that they are left to grieve in peace.

'The death will now be a matter for the coroner.'

Within minutes, thousands of messages of condolence had been left on Twitter.

Ex-Wales boss Mark Hughes said: 'I'm devastated. He was a privilege to work alongside and call a friend. My thoughts are with his family.'

Bobby Gould, who made Mr Speed Wales captain, added: 'I'm stunned and a few tears have been shed. It is so sad.

'He was a great pro. He would play anywhere for you - left back, left wing, centre of midfield, wide left. It's such a tragedy.

'People are just stunned. I saw John Hartson earlier and I said "have you heard about Gary?". The big man just cried and cried. We cuddled each other.

More...

Woman, 21, in critical condition after taking 'legal high tablets she bought from takeaway'

Disgraced TV pundit Gray sells £4m house just six months after being sacked by Sky Sports

20 years at the top of his game: The life and times of Gary Speed

'He's gone home (from the Liberty Stadium). That is his respect towards Gary to say 'I can't work this afternoon'. Speedo was his pal. They were buddies.

'Gary was the ultimate professional.'

In today's late kick-off, Liverpool forward Craig Bellamy pulled out of the squad for his side's match at home to Manchester City after hearing about the death of his Wales manager and former teammate.

The striker returned home as he was too upset to play in the game against his former club.

read more...........................http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066812/Gary-Speed-dead-Wales-football-manager-commits-suicide-42.html

----------------------------------------------------

shocked and deeply upset. one of my favourite footballers dead.