Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Holding Hands

Paragon   

I use to feel holding hands in public between a married couple isn't a big issue, but not until Sister Kamila told me it is Xaaraam to hold hands in public. When I further looked into it by asking more knowledgeable Muslims, they said Kamila is right. However, I cannot provide any hadith.

PS: I don't have much knowledge about issues as such.

king_450   

No evidence that this is Haraam. But it may be prudent, however in conservative communities to avoid that if it is likely to lead to unjustified harassment or misinterpretation,then don't.

In fact, muslims may not even hold hands in public, unless it’s with their spouse.

Modesty   

Actually Jamaal, I never also thought it was haraam, until I started getting different responses from people. Some people told me its not haraam, some say its haraam. But I don't see any haraam in it, its just that I am not conditioned to seeing that while walking down the street.

Who is sister Kamila?

P.S. I think QacQac said it was something he heard, not read, even though I'll be interested in that hadith. Anyone, feel free to share some

hadiths on that.

salaam

Qac Qaac   

brothers and sisters i hope u didn't understand me wrong, what i said was, Omar bin khattab used to beat up the couples holding hands in public places even if they are married. and the hadith of the prophet says if u fellow my sunnah or the sunnah of our khulafa'arrashadiin then u guys are fine, as muslim sister said, there is no hadith nor a phrase from the quran which states this. but the scholars of Islam the concensus. which is the third thing we should use when we have no ayah to answer or a hadith agreed on it. wallah u aclam.

pls don't u all say, i think it is cute. it is not what we think, is what islam says about it. ok.

Asalaama Alaykum W.W

thank you Ameenah smile.gif .. jazzaki allaah khair

Public displays of affection between men and women are frowned upon. You may see some very westernised young muslim couples holding hands, but that is nothing wrong with inside the islamic society.

plizz do not charge anything before u know it,some people do suprise when they encounter couple holdin hands,and charge them that they actualy doing something haraan in islam that is so synical,islam teaches couble to be very close and loving and caring,i must not forget that everycountry has it's culture,which means holding hands might be concerdered unlafull in some country specially in arab world and in some asian,but that has nothing to do with islam.as long as the couples are lawfully married they are entitle to hold hands,people need realy to look very carefully when they see something like this,somali may laugh when they see somali couple holdin hands,just becuase our culture does not allow us to do so.one thing else if the culture does not contradict islam teaching then it is tolerable.

nuune   

so at last no hadith i guess,but we use our common sense and logic,and we see that it is haraam or karaahiyo to hold hands with someone who is not ur wife or husband

Ladiif   

Some are for it, some are against it and there is no Ayaah, Hadith or Fiqh(Islamic Jurisprudence) mentioned in the above posts but some personal opinions which btw, has no place in Islam,so ppl stop I think this, I that thing if u have no hard evidence. At least not clear yet what to consider, so why not put in the Shubihaad catecory until we find some proofs.

Modesty   

Muune right on bro!

Latiff, yeA I really would like to see some hadiths on this issue, even though its ok to say its not haraam.

smile.gifsmile.gif Modesty smile.gifsmile.gif

Nur   

Modesty sis

How did I miss this great discussion!

Before going into the serious stuff on this issue, I think holding the hand of one's wife in public, specially in these financially strained times is a prudent method, because when things get tough, women go shopping, so holding her hand may not always be a sign of affection.

Aside from that tactical maneuver (literally meaning "manual operating"), Its not wise that we quickly deem actions we see others do as Haram or Halal. We should always worry about our own actions, observe our own shortcomings and correct them, and give people a break and benefit of the doubt, its healthier that way.

A case in point is the story of a man who wanted to propose marriage to a girl, so he consulted his friend about the girl's moral character. His friend said " I saw her kissing a man in public", the man was devastated as he admired the girl. He was shocked later to find out that his friend married the girl. He asked him furiously: " didn't you tell me that the girl kissed a man in public? his friend replied " Yes", "then why did you marry her?" the man wondered.

His friend smiled and told him, that the man she was kissing in public was her father!

The moral of this story:

1. Unless we see a blatant violation of decency, we should mind our business.

2. Its highly recommended in Islam that we think well of others all the time.

3. Deeming everything to be either Halal or Haram is not a sport.

Nur

It's not spying Sherban if they're in your face about it. However, I would caution people about issuing judgements when they see such people because you dont know what kind of relationship they have.

BTW, I really think it is cute whenever I see a married couple holding hands or showing affection. But obviously if they put their tongues down each other's throat in public, it would go from "Ooh cute" to Akhas!