Sign in to follow this  
Katrina

Islamic Speakers

Haneefah   

I've been to some of Imam Siraj Wahaj's lectures, such a powerful speaker masha'Allah, he's got a natural speaker system that sure keeps an audience awake and interested. I've heard many of his success stories with respect to da'wa in the Brooklyn area, for the African Americans esp, Masha'Allah!

I'm also quite familiar with Dr. Badawis work, though I'm not very sure whether I've seen him live or not, I've been to so many lectures and Islamic conferences but I also continuously listen to lec's on the net, so I can't even tell whether I know the faces through video/internet or live.

Favourite among those you've listed? It has to be the one and only shaykh Mukhtar Maghroui! I was first introduced to him through Reviving The Islamic Spirit/04 conference, and subhanallah I was literally mesmerized by his lectures, thus I became hooked ever since. Truly inspirational shaykh he is; takes you to a whole different level subhanallah, though I reckon his lectures are not for the average lay folks. One's qalb/soul has to be at a certain degree of purification to truly comperehend this shaykh, or better yet, feel his words. Hence why it usually takes me after couple of processings to really follow him. BTW, he's done quite a bit of work on the struggle of the inner self and cultivating its good/purification among other topics, absolutely worth checking out!

Rahima   

Imam Siraj Wahaj- inspirational speaker will not learn a whole lot of new info, but no doubt your iman will be boosted. I’ve attended his lectures a few times.

Dr. Jamal Badawi- only contact is via the net.

The rest I’ve never heard of.

Castro,

Still around, just lurking ;) . As for the xagxagasho love connection happening, I like to have my corners of SOL peaceful if I may. That means no xagxagasho.

As for your post count Castro, no need to show off dearest :rolleyes: . It’s all about quality I tell ya icon_razz.gif , 1785 posts, four years of incubation - obviously they’re quality. I dhaaf ok, it’s my way of going to the happy place :D .

Khayr,

Jazaakum Allahu Khayran brother smile.gif .

Katrina   

Jazakom Allah Khairan everyone, I appreciate the information. I've been debating attending an upcoming conference with the above listed speakers and I thought why not get some feedback from SOL members about the speakers.

SB, my view is we muslims need to take ownership when it comes to islamic knowledge but unfortunately there isn't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything and if there are those that are more knowledgable use 'em. Regardless of their stand or angle, we should use critical thinking in every aspect of our life. The prophet said, who taught me a letter I became his slave. Therefore the alims have a place in Islam. Dr. Jackson said one of the problems with muslims today is we believe there is only one way to do Islam. Yet in the time of the prophet (PBUH)people interpreted his revelations differently, prayed differently and read the Quraan differently.

I just attended a workshop by Dr. Sherman Jackson aka Abdul Hakim Jackson a specialsit in Islamic law and theology. The man is AMAZING! His ability to relate the seerah to today's world is phenomenal in my opinion. He is a professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor among other roles. After this enlightning workshop, I can't wait to read his books and articles.

Haven't heard of shaykh Mukhtar Maghroui but with such high praise I'll have to hunt the brother out. smile.gif

x_quizit   

Katrina, Mukhtar Maghroui is a much see sheikh,an eloquent and dynamic speaker. I too did not know him up until 2 yrs ago, hearing him at a conference. The theme was the prophet(saw) and I was excited to see the speakers I was already familiar with, namely, Abdullah quick, zaid shakir, dr. tariq ruwaidan, to name a few. Mukhtar is soft spoken and when he was relating stories about the Prophet(saw), he was moved to tears and his sincerity was evident.From then on, I feel in love with him and was disappointed that he couldn't make it to this past conference. He nevertheless holds a spot in my all time fav sheikhs list. Siraj wahaj is also great and I finally heard Ingrid speak couple months ago, who has also earned her place in my list.

Khalaf   

Asslamu Alaykum,

Dear Brothers/Sisters,

There is nothing wrong with getting alim from knowledgeable people, but I fear that many of us these days solely relay on books written by scholars, tapes, lectures, internet ect to gain the knowledge of this deen, while the Noble Qu’ran sits on the bookshelf. Lets learn our deen the way the companions did, from Kitab ul Allah, memorize the Quran and then act upon it that is the best way to success.

And as for the sects, interpretations, if my memory serves me right there is Only One Arabic Quran. May Allah Guide the Seekers.

Originally posted by Katrina:

SB, my view is we muslims need to take ownership when it comes to islamic knowledge but unfortunately there isn't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything and if there are those that are more knowledgable use 'em. Regardless of their stand or angle, we should use critical thinking in every aspect of our life. The prophet said, who taught me a letter I became his slave. Therefore the alims have a place in Islam. Dr. Jackson said one of the problems with muslims today is we believe there is only one way to do Islam. Yet in the time of the prophet (PBUH)people interpreted his revelations differently, prayed differently and read the Quraan differently.

I hear ya, it's just that I'm so damn smart I have no use for Islamic speakers/experts. I have read the entire Sahih Bukhari collection backwards in Uzbek while hopping on 1 leg and playing chess... do you think I need any one to teach me anything? I don't think so.

Just kiddin!

Seriously, I understand your position. A commendable one. Most muslims (not the poor illiterate 3rd worlders but privileged ones) possess inadequate fundamental knowledge about their religion. That is really inexcusable at this day and age. All I'm really saying is a muslim should be active participant, not rely on word of mouth. Best way of ensuring that is to personally go to the sources if unable than selectively screen your interlucators.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Seriously, I understand your position. A commendable one. Most muslims (not the poor illiterate 3rd worlders but privileged ones) possess inadequate fundamental knowledge about their religion. That is really inexcusable at this day and age. All I'm really saying is a muslim should be active participant, not rely on word of mouth. Best way of ensuring that is to personally go to the sources
if unable than selectively screen your interlucators.
[/QB]

So if an Alim/Islamic Scholar doesn't agree with Evolution-Will you find another one?

And if an Alim doesn't think that men and women are equal -Will you find another one?

Are you suggesting that your 'Reasoning' and 'Judgements' trumps that of an EXPERT?

I hear ya, it's just that I'm so damn smart I have no use for Islamic speakers/experts. I have read the entire Sahih Bukhari collection backwards in Uzbek while hopping on 1 leg and playing chess... do you think I need any one to teach me anything? I don't think so.

Just kiddin!

Spoken like a True jaaack 'you know what' ;)

Originally posted by Khayr:

So if an Alim/Islamic Scholar doesn't agree with Evolution-Will you find another one?

Yes I would. Anyone who doesn't accept Evolution as a fact of life is missing few screws in the head. Same goes for anyone who believes the earth is flat.

And if an Alim doesn't think that men and women are equal -Will you find another one?

No because men and women are NOT equal.

Are you suggesting that your 'Reasoning' and 'Judgements' trumps that of an EXPERT?

Always. My reasoning is always flawless and dependable. What about yours?

Katrina   

SB, I understand your point. It's valid.

What about those wadaado who take their culture values and mix it up with the diin and they can't sepearte them. Look at sheikh Omar Faruq who spent most of his life studying the diin and is a very knowledgable wadaad but unfortunately innocent and obedient women believe him because they look to him for guidance. He didn't use any verses or hadiths to verify his point in the below question and answer. Sheikh Omar Faruq in (the Sweden lectures) was asked (i'm paraphrasing)since both husband and wife are taking welfare and neither works why can't the husband help out with household chores and what is the diin's point of view? He said, if the woman you marry, reer boqor ay dhaleen, (ie. she never cooked) its the husband's job to cook for her or find someone who can cook for her but if you marry jaariyad from her father's house then it's her job to cook for you. Subhanallah, the prophet (PBUH) helped his wives at home doing laundry and cooking and shouldn't sheikh Omar have been using the prophet as an example and not culture??

He said, if the woman you marry, reer boqor ay dhaleen, (ie. she never cooked) its the husband's job to cook for her or find someone who can cook for her but if you marry jaariyad from her father's house then it's her job to cook for you.

00000014.gif

I'm sorry but that was the dumbest thing I've heard in a loooooooong time. This dude would make Dumb and Dumber look shining geniuses!

Originally posted by Katrina:

What about those wadaado who take their culture values and mix it up with the diin and they can't sepearte them.

You highlight one of the aspects of relying on Wadaads for your knowledge that perturbs me most. We muslims have strong tendency of venerating our Shiekhs/Imaams without a shred of due reservation. The majority of us would rarely consider the possibility that a wadaad maybe pushing an agenda (his or others) or he is under qualified or he is propagating a particular sects view... we give every shiekh/imaam, prima facie unwarranted favarouble view. I think that is just wrong and the wadaad you cited above proves it.

Urban   

i havent heard of any of the Imams mentioned in the first post, but one of the speakers i enjoy listening to is Amr Khaled, i cant really describe him. i watch him every ramadan on 'Iqra' channel, cant miss it.

"....In one typical Khaled story, two young women head to the mall, but the more religious one insists on visiting the mosque first. As they listen to the sermon, the unveiled woman starts to cry, and asks for a head scarf. Later that day, she is killed by a car. Fortunately, she has renewed her commitment to Islam...."

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

I am so filled with all types of different emotions from reading this post and I just dont know where to start....but first thing is first..the purpose of the thread...!!

From the names mentioned I'm only very well familiar with Sh. Yasir Qadhi....subhannalah...he has a way of turning hearts and heads walaahi....he is an AlMaghrib Institute instructor that teachers Aqeedah...i'd recommend it to everyone...he has a lot of lectures online at www.audioislam.com...!! Yasir Fazaqa is really good as well....Mohammad ibn AlFaqih i heard lots of good things about as well...he is also an instructor with AlMaghrib...!! Since some of you sound like you’re from Canada, ya’ll must be familiar with Sh Muhammad AlShareef….great speaker masha Allah…!! Another of my favorite speakers would be Dawood Adeeb…!!

Amr Khalid....i'd recommend for anyone that speaks Arabic.....you'll get Egyptian Style EmanRush...!! Truly and totally amazing...!! You can listen to him at www.islamway.com...!!

Any recommendation on websites to listen to sh. Mukhtar Maghouri....i'm curious after all the good things you have said...!!

SB....I really think the best reply to you was given by brother/sister Ashabul AlKahf....Allah him self tells you in the Quran to ask those of knowledge if you don't know...!! Brother anyone who has an atoms weight of knowledge more than you deserves your respect....how dare you compare a Muslim brother that teaches about Islam and calls to Allah to Dump and Dumper....may Allah forgive you and me but I only see an extreme sense of arrogance coming from reading your posts...!! No one said that 'Ulama are infallible.....no one said we worship what they teach....but we all know out of common sense that we do not read the Qur'an and the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Alayhi Salaam and come up with laws and regulations...!! We have great scholars who dedicate their lives to Allah and his teaching His message, the least they can get from an average layman like you is to ask Allah to forgive their sins and increase them in knowledge so that they are conveying the true message....!! I agree with the fact that some people do hold their Sheikhs in a higher position that they should be doing, I agree with the fact that many so called shuyukh today are not differentiating between Islam and culture, however all that does not mean we can disrespect them and call them dump…!! Remember the greatest people in the world after the prophets peace be upon them are the 'Ulama.....!!

Please read your posts again and ponder over your words...realize that ignorance and arrogance are man's greatest enemy...!! I do apologize if I have offended you and may Allah forgive all of us...!!

Fii Amaani'Laah

Blessed   

^Mansha Allah, Honesita, bonita, that does of your ultimate honesty was needed on this page.

Indeed, the scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets and you don't have to agree with them blindly but respect them for the service they do for Islam.

Narrated Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-Aas (RA): I heard Allah's Messenger (SAW) saying, "Allah does not take away the knowledge, by taking it away from (the hearts of) the people, but takes it away by the death of the religious learned men till when none of the (religious learned men) remains, people will take as their leaders ignorant persons who when consulted will give their verdict without knowledge. So they will go astray and will lead the people astray" (Summarized Sahih Al-Bukhari: Book 3, Chapter 24, #86).

JZK Allah also for the links too, hon. smile.gif

As for the topic, I'm only familiare with Siraj Wahaaj and Rahima has expressed my thaughts of him. smile.gif

SAGAL   

assalamu alaikum,

Kalid Yassine is an excellent speaker. You guys should listen to his lecture. He is so good that the kufars turned muslim

Originally posted by Honesita:

Salaamu Aleeykum

SB....I really think the best reply to you was given by brother/sister Ashabul AlKahf....Allah him self tells you in the Quran to ask those of knowledge if you don't know...!!

I'm aware of that dependent you only ask and not entrust your entire learning in the hands of fallible man who may or may not be purveying corrupted reading.

....how dare you compare a Muslim brother that teaches about Islam and calls to Allah to Dump and Dumper....

How dare I? Two reasons: 1. because I can 2. what he said is the stuff you expect from dumb and dumber characters. Why should I have to put up with Wadaads who say ****** and ignorant things like that wadaad? Because he is wadaad? Any wadaad must earn my respect through his deeds not title.

No one said that 'Ulama are infallible.....

Didn't you just question my criticism of a wadaad? In an essense saying he is beyond reproach. If the Ulema are not infallible, then they're open to criticism. Where due of course. If you question those who criticise the Ulema, like you did relating to me, then you are saying they are indeed infallible. Make up your mind, you seem confused as evinced by your dissimilar statements.

I agree with the fact that many so called shuyukh today are not differentiating between Islam and culture, however all that does not mean we can disrespect them and call them dump…!! Remember the greatest people in the world after the prophets peace be upon them are the 'Ulama.....!!

See! Once again you're saying they're infallible. Why should they not be held responsible when they screw up unless you see them as beyond reproach. Like I said earlier, you need to work out your confusion.