Sign in to follow this  
Katrina

Islamic Speakers

Katrina   

Have any of you seen these Islamic speakers live? Please share which are your favorite from this list? The only one I'm familiar with is Badawi and Siraj Wahhaj.

Imam Siraj Wahhaj

. Ingrid Mattson

. Dr. Jamal Badawi

. Sheikh Mukhtar Maghroui

. Sheikh Husain Abdus-Sattar

. Sheikh Muhammad Faqih

. Rami Nashashibi

. Nouman Ali Khan

. Mamoon Syed

. Omar Atia

. Ahmed Sidky

. Altaf Hussain

. Sheikh Yasir Fazaqa

. Dr. Zulfiqar Ali Shah

. Sheikh Zoubair Bouchiki

Jacpher   

I am not familiar with them except Siraaj Wahaaj and Jamal Badaw whom I’ve seen on videotapes.

SB, are you saying we don’t need the Culumaa to teach us our religion?

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

SB, are you saying we don’t need the Culumaa to teach us our religion?

No culuma would be teaching you YOUR religion. They'll be teaching you theirs.

I didn't plan on replying but socod plz speak for your self, if u like to go at it alone. Good for you. But there's nothing wrong with learning from people who are more knowledgable than u. The companions of the prophet learned from him, you are definately not a scholar for if you were you wouldn't say what you said.

Don't get me wrong but from the way you responded sounds like a put down to people who are interested in learning from Ulumas......And how can they be teaching u their religion, when there is only one religion Islam??????? obviously you'd have to be doing some kind of learning you're self to seek out Ulumas.

Getting Back to the topic

From the list I've only seen Siraj Wahajj live one time in Ottawa. Other than him none are familiar, but I've seen Yusuf Este on his live tv show at http://watchislam.com/ and I must say he's really funny and well spoken...

Miriam1   

Imam Siraj Wahhaj

I believe he was a speaker at this year's RIS or perhaps the 2003 conference, he was well spoken and knowledgable.

*_*

There isnt a need to get into a debate about the need of our ulama, its established that we are need of good teachers and Socod..Three Things... before I run. late for class.

1-You do get your news second hand every day from BBC, CNN and your local channels

2-And anyone with a bit of sense, would know that for those who are begining to learn a new "thing"( here Islam, Quran, Hadith, etc) needs a qualified teacher, the same way all us univ students pay hundreds of dollars to be taught all sorts of things.

3-Allah knws where your heading with this but seeing from your pervious topics, I care not go there. About the teachers of the faith, teaching you thier own religion? Really man. Get a grip. If one was to go to Al Ahzar and be taught by the shiekh of al ahzar, what religion would he teach other then Islam to the best of his knowledge which is greater then you and I have. Its really a cowardice excuse, you know. I am not bothered with these individuals cause i know instintively that they are going to teach me some that is thier personal twisted version of Islam, nice way of keeping your stance and sounding big haha.

Man time wasted. Go listen to some qualified Islamic speakers and then comment with knowledge.

Katrina sorry about hijacking your topic smile.gif

G'day

Originally posted by sweet_gal:

But there's nothing wrong with learning from people who are more knowledgable than u.

Now, I didn't object to that did I?

Who do you worship? Allah or the Ulema? If Allah, then get your guidlines from him... straight from horse's mouth sort to speak. When you depend on fallible man to tell you what to worship, you're worshiping what that particular Imaam/shiekh THINKS you should. Not necessarily what Allah wants of you.

How many sects and schools of thoughts are in Islam? Innumerable. Exactly! That proves my point. All those sects and schools of thoughts claim to believe in Islam while at the same time having different opinions of it. That is only possible because not everone sees things the same leading to different interpretations of a single text. When you accept that, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Pacifist   

One of my fav has to be Shaykh Abdullah Hakim Quick, I personally feel the way he prepares his dacwah is really touching the young youth because when he speaks he is not just speaking for the sack of it but knows what the current generations trends are. . He was talking about rap stars like eminem and Dr.Dre. For the youth to listen at least for some you have to have an idea of what their in to.

http://www.hakimquick.com

He was a imam in Toronto and He currently resides in Cape town South Africa where he teaches fiqh. I would really love to meet him inshallah.

My second has to be Dr. Abdallah Idris Ali He currently serves as a member of the Board of Trustees for the Islamic Teaching Center (ITC) and North American Islamic Trust (NAIT. He was former ISNA president Mashallah He help us raise over $800,000 for the masjid.

Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips has numerous books and lectures. Had the pleasure of going to one of his lectures in Vancouver couple years ago.

Imam Siraj Wahaj of Masjid Al-Taqwa in New York

Dr. Hosam Al-Din Afanah, professor of Fiqh at the University of al-Quds, Palestine,

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi I think his from texas.

Uztaz Amr Khalifa Portland

Parvez Ahmed I think he said from california not sure.

Mr Socod- quick comment- I didnt appreciate when you used the metaphor of the horse especialy when you speaking about Allah, second thing i want to remind you is that allah subhana watacalaa tells us in the quran to learn and ask our scholars (learned people) whenever we want to know something from our religion.

"Ask the people of Dhikr [the Scholars] if you don't know" 16:43

Instead of being lost in our own opinions and ideas. They have expertise for the text, and with proof we will be stead fast on true path.

Now if you want to argue about who is a right scholar and who isnt, It is clear ' no confusion.

If they have proof from the quran and sunnah, then they are on the right path. stop throwing the curve ball.

salaam

Johnny B   

The number of sects and schools of thoughts in Islam indicates nothing but the nonexistence of a true blue source with a single conveyed or signified meaning , thus the number of the "scholars" reflects the number of possible interpretations of the supposedly single true blue source.

SB, maybe one should make plain or comprehensible why the Source is such a source of disagreement, and why each and everyone should find out the truth for him/herself.

To some ,stating the obvious "we learn from whoever happen to know more than we do" can be a wisdom that requires a great exertion,and demands angels and Demons to pass the word. ;)

For others, it´s nothing but a matter of course.

Jacpher   

Ha isku daalinina, qalbi daboolan oo dayyiqan xarajan laga dhigay diin doonimaayo doodeedana ma daayo.

Ayaan darada heysata dadka qaarkiis waxay i xusuusiyaa kii maa-khalaq lagu sheegay oo ay waalidkiis lahaayeen yabooha Alle waa dhabee waylaka aamin, asagana qaruur aduun tusay inaysan soo saar & xisaab dambe jirin. Walee qalbi daxaloobay oo sumun bukmun cumyun noqday, inuusan malab macaan dhadhamin.

Castro   

^ Yac. :D

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

How many sects and schools of thoughts are in Islam? Innumerable. Exactly! That proves my point.

I don't think it does good SB. It only proves that there are many sects and schools of thought in Islam.

All those sects and schools of thoughts claim to believe in Islam while at the same time having different opinions of it. That is only possible because not everone sees things the same leading to different interpretations of a single text. When you accept that, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Saaxib I don't know how much Arabic you know but as a fluent reader and writer of the language, I assure you the Quran is no layman's book. Please don't confuse this with some faiths where the congregation is encouraged not to read the book but speak with a priest instead. That's not the case with Islam as the only barrier to reading the Quran is one's own laziness. Having said that, the study of the Sunnah and Tafsiir of the Quran are no weekend jobs. Some people dedicate their lives (just as a professor in, say, physics would do) and those are the culama. Simply donning a khamiis and wearing a beard does not. If the latter is what you confuse for a caalim, then I don't blame you but if you equate the casual (or occasional) reader of the Quran to someone who studied it, then I'm afraid you're mistaken saaxib. Saaxib you wouldn't ask someone who never went to school to do differential Calculus but you would expect every Farah to know all there is to know about the Quran and Sunnah by just reading about them occasionally as most of us do?

It is true that there are many schools of thoughts and opinions but it's never on anything but peripheral and minor issues. If you have examples of major disagreements, let me know. And finally, though you have the option to go it alone, you can't, in the same breath, say there's no such thing as a caalim.

Pi   

Originally posted by Castro

Saaxib I don't know how much Arabic you know but as a fluent reader and writer of the language

SB doesnt know any arabic. But when did you become a fluent reader and writer? :eek: I didnt know that. Maybe spanish, but arabic too? Man, I want someone to teach me arabic. :(

Castro   

^ Though I live in a 50% Latino town, shamefully, all I know in Spanish is: que passa hombre? and mucho trabajo poquito dinero. :(