Sign in to follow this  
Sultan Dheere

Questioning my fatith

Recently I have been having some faith problems. I'll try and keep it as short as I can.

I was born in Europe and grew up in a pretty liberal family. My parents never sent me to dugsi and never told me to pray. It was only at aged 12 where my friends at the time went to dugsi and I just tagged along with them and I ended up learning the basic of diinta, reading and writing Arabic etc.But as I grew older I became further & further away from Islam. I did not pray for 3 years [18-21]. Not even Friday prayers and Eid prayers.

I am really really scared that I am loosing my faith all of a sudden and that I'd not be forgiven for this but i just cant make it stop. I feel like praying is a burden, not a privilege. I still believe in the existence of God but I keep questioning myself if Islam is the right religion for me/us. Or if any religion is the right one. There are a lot of "What ifs" going around in my head.

I haven't talked to anyone in real life about this, cos its a bit of a taboo subject in our community, and you know Somalis, they can be extremely judgemental. And that is not helpful for me.

I just want to know has anyone else gone through this phase.

N.O.R.F   

I still believe in the existence of God but I keep questioning myself if Islam is the right religion for me/us.

Is this because of convenience? ie you can't be bothered doing the rituals or is there more to it? Sounds to me this is down to your lack of knowledge of Islam and not being prepared to learn rather than being convinced by anything else. There is alot of information out there but the first thing is for you to be commit yourself to learn about Islam and it's principals. Losing your faith? I doubt it. You just need to learn about it.

Well it happened to many people. Don't be afraid of ALLAH. he will surely forgive you but only on one condition that you will beleive him by heart and read about Quran and understand the full meaning of what you are reading. Well if you really want more help then come on this site i will help you over their. http://www.quranreading.com

Blessed   

I know what you mean about Somalis, most tend to push people farther away from the deen rather than help them understand.

Over the years, there have been a few things that I couldn't get my head around, but I dug and dug and asked, asked and asked and Alhamdulilah Allah has opened many doors for me. Islam is not a religion which seeks blind followers, Allah implores us to seek, find and question and to also reflect and believe with certainty. Make a note of the aspects of Islam which confuse you and research on them, read and ask people of knowledge, even scholars are easy to contact these days. I would suggest that you start with the notion of tawheed, Islamic monotheism - Bilal Phillips The Fundamentals of Islamic Monotheism.

nuune   

Quraan saar yar unbaad u baahantahey sidaada kale qof wanaagsan baad tahey, Ilaah ithinkiis waad liibaani, faataxa

It is ok to question as long as you are seeking. It happens to a lot of us, doubting I mean. It seems to me that you are sort of ignorant about the reasons for the rituals and without a solid reason and belief, the rituals such as prayers and charity are meaningless. I would reccomend you to talk to your local Imam, preferably not Somali. State your concerns and conflicts with the religion and listen to what he says with an open mind. Read, research and research some more. This is the true religion, the real raw deal.

*Blessed;748794 wrote:
I know what you mean about Somalis, most tend to push people farther away from the deen rather than help them understand.

Over the years, there have been a few things that I couldn't get my head around, but I dug and dug and asked, asked and asked and Alhamdulilah Allah has opened many doors for me. Islam is not a religion which seeks blind followers, Allah implores us to seek, find and question and to also reflect and believe with certainty. Make a note of the aspects of Islam which confuse you and research on them, read and ask people of knowledge, even scholars are easy to contact these days. I would suggest that you start with the notion of tawheed, Islamic monotheism - Bilal Phillips The Fundamentals of Islamic Monotheism.

That's an issue with me. There have been things I just couldn't get my head around and years ago I never dared to question anything cos I feared the backlash that may have occurred. I WANT to believe that Islam is the one and true deen, though my Imaan is at such a low point that nothing affects my heart. You could recite to me the most amazing surah + tafseer and it wouldn't have the positive affect on my heart that it should. I've just become numb to all of this.

Chocolate and Honey;748852 wrote:
It is ok to question as long as you are seeking. It happens to a lot of us, doubting I mean. It seems to me that you are sort of ignorant about the reasons for the rituals and without a solid reason and belief, the rituals such as prayers and charity are meaningless. I would reccomend you to talk to your local Imam, preferably not Somali. State your concerns and conflicts with the religion and listen to what he says with an open mind. Read, research and research some more. This is the true religion, the real raw deal.

Thanks. I know rituals are meaningless without a solid belief system. I just woke up one morning and realised I reached a critical point where I needed to make drastic changes to my Imaan cos I am drifting farther and farther away. I'll continue to research and speak to a local Imaan and hopefully I can get on the right track.

Sometimes its good to confide in someone about your troubles and Im sure there are other people who have doubts too, but its a shame that if our communities hear "so and so are doubting XYZ" they'll vilify you. I do wonder how often people go through this, or maybe Im just a rare occurrence.

N.O.R.F;748758 wrote:
Is this because of convenience? ie you can't be bothered doing the rituals or is there more to it? Sounds to me this is down to your lack of knowledge of Islam and not being prepared to learn rather than being convinced by anything else. There is alot of information out there but the first thing is for you to be commit yourself to learn about Islam and it's principals. Losing your faith? I doubt it. You just need to learn about it.

It feels like I couldn't be bothered. Another thing is I question certain things in Islam and then immediately afterwards I question my status as a Muslim because I questioned certain elemens of Islam. It messed with my head. Things that a Muslim would never question amongst other Muslims due to fear of backlash.

Blessed   

Hey, have a look at this. I know that you said that you still have faith in God but I think the struggle he went through might be of interest to you..

Som@li   

Sultan Dheere;748871 wrote:
It feels like I couldn't be bothered. Another thing is I question certain things in Islam and then immediately afterwards I question my status as a Muslim because I questioned certain elemens of Islam. It messed with my head. Things that a Muslim would never question amongst other Muslims due to fear of backlash.

What the things you question, we may help find answers, and it is ok to question as long as you seek knowledge.

Thre are many religious on this world and all claiming , believing to be right, but Islam is the one, and anyone can say his religious is the one, but one has to back with evidences.

Most of the people are sheep, and without a question follow what their parents/communities followed, whether it is Islam, Christian, Hundus, Budhist etc

Seek knowledge, and you will find the answers to make you peace.