Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

The correct demonym: Somali or Somalian?

Che -Guevara;747124 wrote:
^Where have you met these angry Somalis?

read thru the thread and u will see them. But, in real life, i met them @the local xalal-sippin on some wariko-Holla

Faheema.   

Axmed-InaJaad;747142 wrote:
im somalilander. u konfuurian can call each other what u want

Actually you ARE a Somali who's from Somaliland :P:)

ailamos   

OdaySomali;746537 wrote:
The way I have [recently] understood to be correct is that:

1) '
Somali
' refers to ethnicity (as well as language) and can be used for all ethnic Somalis in the Somali peninsula and beyond.

2) '
Somalian
' refers to nationality and is used exclusively for the citizens of Somalia whether of Somali, Bantu or Arab heritage.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. OdaySomali's take above makes sense to me because as far as politics are concerned, there are two distinct entities i.e. Somaliland and Somalia, hence it logical that "Somalian" refers to a political identity while Somali refers to an ethnic one e.g. (Somali-Kenyans, Somali-Ethiopians, Somali-Americans, Somali-Canadians etc.) as well as a political one.

As for "Somalian", it's been in use at least since the late 1960s and early 1970's when The Somalian panorama and The Somalian Revolution were published.

In the end, I suppose they are indeed interchangeable.

ailamos   

Faarax-Brawn;746565 wrote:
Abti, find one more positive links related to those two words. You wont see it. if u do,it is buried deep into 14th page with italics.

Faarax-Brawn's common sense trumps Nuune's paranoia :D

Let me break it down to you, yaa Nuune, the point was to find quotes from the same source... quickly. I have no patience for sifting through articles and spit-shining news for you so that your feelings don't get hurt ;)