Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Rocket Ronnie O Sullivan Becomes A Muslim

Snooker champ converts to Islam

From correspondents in London

September 28, 2003

FORMER world snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has ditched Roman Catholicism to become a Muslim, the player's mother told a British newspaper published Sunday.

perhaps only the guys from the Uk will be familir with the following Brother who (Mashallah) has reverted back to Islam.

"Ronnie is a lot better in himself since he converted. I hope it will steady him," his mother Maria told The Sunday Times.

O'Sullivan overcame a troubled childhood, in which his father was jailed for murder and his mother for tax offences, to win snooker's world championship in 2001.

Despite his precocious talent, the 27-year-old has battled drink and drug addiction as well as depression.

O'Sullivan's mother said British boxer Prince Naseem Hamed, a born Muslim, helped her son convert.

"Prince Naseem has been a good friend to Ronnie," she told the paper. "He has been the main factor."

O'Sullivan, who was raised as a Roman Catholic in east London, converted at the Islamic Cultural Centre, the capital's main mosque, during a short ceremony last month, according to The Sunday Times.

Nicknamed the "Rocket" for the speed in which he can clear a snooker table, O'Sullivan joins boxers Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson as leading sportsmen who have converted to Islam.

Britain's most famous celebrity-turned-Muslim is pop star Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam.

---------------------------------------------------------

Yet again another example of how teh call to Islam is being answered. My Allah reward him for his efforts in bringing this brother back into our Ummah

N.O.R.F   

mashallah, khalid yasin was influential in ronnie reverting to islam, here is some info on him and his work!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/yusufsdomain/lectures.html

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=khalid+yasin&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

shujul i was just about to post this on here but i guess u beat me to it!

Qac Qaac   

hey pls don't become those week muslims now adays that when they see someone famous became muslim they loved the religion more, like as if they wanna see if this religion is the right one.

there was a rumour b4 saying will smith became muslim, and now i hear shaq is a muslim. come on ppl. stop it.

but this rocket guy, i am not familiar with him, i just take what u said about him, it is only good for him, he saved himself from hell fire.

N.O.R.F   

Qac Qac, many celebs use islam to get publicity, but this is a little closer to home, seeing both naseem and khalid yasin on a regular basis at the local masjid makes it so. Having said that, Allah knows best!

QacQac i think you miss the point saxiib. I posted the story to give an example of how Far reaching Islams appeal is.

And you maybe be right, maybe muslims are weaker nowdays than before, certainly stories such as these do help to remind my of the beauty diversity and undeniable Appeal fo Islam and Its call to all the people of the world.

They dont come more Cockeny than Ronnie O Sullivan and yet desipte his harsh childhood and Typical english jack teh lad, eastend background He has Reverted back to islam, Mashallah.

salaam alaikom all!

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

hey pls don't become those week muslims now adays that when they see someone famous became muslim they loved the religion more,

say what ! have u ever heard of the saying talk before u leap! this is where it come in handy, brother dont use ur emotions to respond we were praising them cuz we are happy for them , its not like we are loving our deen more cuz of them! adiga hobsasho hal aa la siyaa hoping u got my point ;)

i had no clue one of the jackson became muslim i heard about the snooker player on the contrary thanks shujui, and muslim sis

Haashim   

Qacqac Bro. remember our RASUULL (S.A.W) was becoming very happy when someone weak or powerfull to become Muslim, not because he was weak (Xaashaahu) but after all because ALLAH resued this person from hell fire, he (S.A.W) was very happy when small jewish boy accepted to say LAA ILAAHA ILLA LAAH just minutes or seconds before his death as well as when UMAR BINUL KHTAB (R.A converted to ISLAM.

So, it's not weakness to be very happy if a rich or famous person to convert ISLAM because this person could help ISLAM and Muslims more than many ordinary muslims could do, take an example When CUAMR (R.A) converted ISLAM there was dramatic change for the SAHABA's situation which one could say that the ISLAM become public in Makkah. and remember it's ALLAH'S SUNNAH and WISDOM that this religion needs the efforts of the people, not waiting ALLAH'S help without doing anything as many Muslims now dreaming.

Rahima   

Muraad spot on smile.gif

Rasulallah s.c.w even used to make duca to Allah to bring into the fold Islam either Camru ibn Hishaam (Abu Jahal) or Cumar ibn Khataab and we all know Allah answered his prayer by having the son of Khattab enter Islam.

Therefore there is nothing wrong with wanting influential people to enter the fold of Islam for by the will of Allah they may help to strengthen the dacwa. But of course this does not mean we belittle the average person entering Islam.

Qac Qaac   

hey muraad and rahima i just raised the pt here, first not to kill it for everybody, i just wanted us to be not naive, i am happy for him too, masha'allah.

u guys also missed my pt, as brother salife accused me that i miss the pt.

brother murad, what u said, i know, i know the hadiths u related u and rahima, but i also knew why the prophet did it. as u mentioned, but that was not what i meant, i meant ppl got really afraid after 911, and some of them really wanted to see if the celebs could become muslim, may be that will ease the growing anger of the west towards islam. that was what i meant. i think this reason is really different from teh one of the prophet scw. what do u think, Muraad, Rahima, salefi, shujui.

i am talking about after 911, those muslims who wanted to see celebs like Will smith, and Shaq to be muslim.

O'Sullivan denies conversion to Islam

Simon Hattenstone

Friday October 3, 2003

The former world snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan last night said that recent reports that he had

ADVERTISEMENT

converted to Islam were misleading.

"There has been some confusion recently. I am not a Muslim. However, I am privileged with the friendship of Muslims who have been there for me and I value as true friends."

O'Sullivan, widely regarded as the game's most gifted player, has often been front-page news. Rarely, though, has anything grabbed the headlines like his purported conversion to Islam. But last night he said it was all a big misunderstanding.

"Yes, I'm interested in Islam, but I'm also interested in Buddhism and Christianity. Perhaps I've been naive and given people the wrong impression, and if I have I'm sorry.

"It was a bit ****** of me, I suppose. I went along to a mosque because I'm interested in Islam, but I didn't know anyone would be interested in converting me.

"Actually, even when they called me to the front of the mosque I didn't know what was happening. They were very friendly, and in my ignorance I thought it was just a social thing - their way of welcoming a stranger. I felt a bit overawed by all the people around me, especially because they were talking all the time.

"I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to offend, and I just thought I'd keep everyone happy then politely leave. But now I know differently."

O'Sullivan said he was in two minds whether to make any public statement about the "conversion" but felt it was important to set the record straight before the new season starts at Preston this weekend.

"Everyone knows I'm not the most disciplined of fellas," he admitted. "I suppose that's why the press thought it was such a good story."