Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Suxuur Spot

Malika   

Val - I know, my shame..hmmm u say its all in the spices huh?..lol

A.Khadar, the day before yesterday baan kaa soo afuuree masajiid - taa iga racee aan kuu shegee. After chit chatting with the women there, a group of Kuwaiti women thought it was appropriet to slip me money!! I could have been offended but didnt, took the money and drop it in the sadaqa box..lool. I agree its nice to share food at the masjid, we do that every weekend of the ramadan in my town.

A_Khadar   

kkkk... You just reminded me many similar stories friends told.. Sometimes arabs are too generious ma istidhi.. One story was an old man went to Egypt to see his son.. For some reason, the son missed his father at the airport after few times father didn't show up due to flight cancelation. The father came next day and ended up at masjid near the airport area when his son didn't show up at the airport. He speaks no arabic. At the end of the salad, he stood asking the people in the masjid if anyone knows his son, obviously speaking with somali but no one understood and many thought he needs help.. So they started giving money.. Everyone dropped whatever changes in his pocket.. Imagine oday proud somali ah wiilkiis lacag leeyahay living in Qahiro oo sadaqo loo ururinayoo.. Tii dheerayd baa ka dhacday..

LooL @ Malika! Aw bless them. A hungry Somali ayey ku moodeen (of course being Ramadan and Somali, you WOULD have been a hungry Somali but maybe not in the way ey u fahmeen). Bless.

Nuune, what you talking about? Of course last day of ramadaan waa maalin la sooman yahay oo la afuro habeenkii. It's only Taraawiix aan la tukan.

Koley magaaladeyda caadi ahaan iyo dhaqan ahaan ayaa looga afuraa masaajidka. And according to the hubby, it's damn delicious and filling food (weli maan tijaabin anigu). It's also got a lovely community and family feel, with tents set up in front of the masjid and kids running around. This is the first place aan ku arkay dhaqankan though. But I approve.

nuune   

^^ True, I also applaud the Asian Muslim communities in providing iftaar for the people, these people are well connected, organized, compare to how our peolpe are and our local mosques nearby, where everyone brings food for iftaar, and the food gets wastes for few nights, while some nights only 2 or 4 people bring food, and many people go back to their homes without iftaar, waxey ugu soo tala galeen iney masjidka ka afuraan, but lack of organization in local Somali mosques is something needs to be addressed.

I have also noticed that in the Asian mosques during Ramadan, there is a list of people who will provide iftaar dinner for that night, so only that person will bring and no one else, I do really admire these communities, and needs in lagu deydo.

Juxa   

I went to a friend's house yesterday, she had a baby but cooked 6 course meal afur ah. it was delicious and i cont eat it.

Darn it if ey somali ahaan lahaayeen saxan baa hore uqaado lagu dhihi lahaa. anigoo gadaal u fiirinaya kasoo tagay

N.O.R.F   

nuune;742470 wrote:
I have also noticed that in the Asian mosques during Ramadan, there is a list of people who will provide iftaar dinner for that night, so only that person will bring and no one else, I do really admire these communities, and needs in lagu deydo.

We did that in my home town. They still do. Every Sat a family (qabiil) baa Afur soo sameeya. When it was the turn of a certain family the mosque would be packed :D (they made some delicious food). Wish I was there now :D

-Lily-   

Lol Juxa maybe she wasn’t planning to cook today...

Val, that’s very normal in most of that country, especially the Turkish communities. They did the same when I was in Gothenburg for Ramadan a few years ago, Turkish and East European Muslims, everyone brought food and ate at the mosque, whole families, it was very nice. It must be a cultural thing.

My local mosque which is run by Siri Lankans cook afur & sahur for everyone every night, but I doubt many Somalis eat there though.

I think tea & toast will do today.

Juxa   

Lily waa turkey, ma soomaan, but boy do they celebrate Eid. they were lovely as they cooked for us ( a group of 7) a full ifdar.

Afurka Masaajidka inta waa la isku qoraa, masha Allah dadna lacag ayay u bixiyaan qaarna cunto karsan ayay keenaan. Afurka Masaajidyada wax ka macaan maba laha.

Malika   

^Lol..soor iyo caano for suhur? what do you eat for afuur?? I dont do suhur, had to please my mother and eat sareen every night whilst home..but in my own house no suhur..too much hassle me think!

One hour to go and no desire to cook anything. Luckily I had the foresight to buy a slice of Tiramisu a little while ago.

Lily, yah it's very nice dhaqan. I like it.

A_Khadar   

Malika;742636 wrote:
^Lol..soor iyo caano for suhur? what do you eat for afuur?? I dont do suhur, had to please my mother and eat sareen every night whilst home..but in my own house no suhur..too much hassle me think!

Actually it aint bad same as Sareen.. I have suqaar with anything bread, laxoox, or malawax mostly.. Couple nites I had Beer geel with malawax..very delicious but the Frozen beer sometimes gets too hard if you are not an expert on how to cook it.. Last few nights, I eat from the Masjid, they serve one zambuza, half malawax and bariis with chicken/goat meat for casho..