Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

DADAAB: Get There or Die Trying

Old man- Here you go….. and I expect to see some serious donations from you.

Juxa- I don’t have time to get frustrated my dear- I was just surprised at the calaacal no one is doing anything crap. Get engaged beyond your money, donate boxes of water, dacaas etc even give us your holiday. p.s I know about that but we can only do so much and alhadmdhulilah people are starting to fundraise for us and were getting the messages/clips/aim and objective out there. P.s I need 40boxes of 1lt water from you btw.

Norf-

a.)the funds you give them is unrestricted funding which means it can easily be part of the admin cost of the operation/organisation.

b.)Since the funds is a drop in the ocean of their response-the funds become part of the initial project and scale up effort. Nothing wrong with that per se, but you don’t have any accountability measures in place for you to ask/enquire in its effectiveness.

c.)Muslim aims are fundraising for start cost- apart from one camp in MogD there nowhere else. I know this because I asked them.

d.)Islamic Relief no bad- but it was yesterday that they were trying to access Boqol and Geedo-since Al-Shabab gave them the green light and in true IR fashion they took a bunch of media groups with them to show case how they are the first organisation inside Somalia…delivering aid. But they haven’t delivered yet…as they’re flight was double booked yesterday and they were left feeling very deflated at the JKI airport in Nairobi.

We’re not saying don’t fundraise, all were saying is get smart about this…the problem is not about funding for this organisations is their lack of access or operational abilities.

The UN is calling for the $1billion that will allow them to fight the famine-but WFP has a warehouse in MogD and its full of food and they’re unable to deliver the food from the storage since there not operational. When we ask why not airdrop the food, we are dismissed…..please just ask the right questions and go beyond the appeal image with them.

The focus currently is on Dadaab-but the journey to dadaab from the boarders is 90 FREAKING KM. When we ask why must they walk the unnecessary walk of death when they already walked for 2-3months? We get nothing that warrants a sufficient response.

If needs is what drives humanitarian response, surely aid must be taken to the affected people…the sad part is the people are calling for assistance close by-not in Daadab. But are we listening? So they walk the inhumane 90km, they’re situation even made worse and they die as they try to get to Daadab: At the end they discover they now also must wait. P.s Aid agencies were not spotted on the route to- where it matters the most in Liboi Kenya-when the affected Somalis transit before the scatter for the deadly walk to the camp….

p.s.s one story-we asked one mother in Dhoobley how many children she started the journey with-she said 6, …..but I had to leave 4 as I was too tired and hungry to push the cart so I left 4 on the road side. Imagine that? Yesterday I got a phone call from Falis mother, saying Falis is now getting worse and the traditional doctor burned her tumour. Were beyond tears, beyond frustration beyond it…all we want to focus is on delivering the next round of essential items and continue to raise awareness around the 90km and beyond.

And we call on you for your support: -http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/survival-backpacks-for-somali-refugees-in-kenya/

N.O.R.F   

We’re not saying don’t fundraise, all were saying is get smart about this…the problem is not about funding for this organisations is their lack of access or operational abilities.

So which organisation should the money be sent to?

nuune   

CL, another critical point is this, I think you are aware of it, but every organization that is trying to help is not doing anything about it, instead of waiting the people to arrive at the Kenya border or in the Dadaab camps, why not meet them in their journey inside Somalia, we all know what Shabaab controls or not, so that is beside the point, and the majority of the people are dying on the roads trying to make the desperate journey to Kenya border, so this issue needs to be addressed, I have contacted some organizations like the Islamic one's to at least send some of their volunteers to meet the people fleeing on the roads and help them on the spot inside those towns the are passing such as Qooqaani, taabto, Salagle, Baardheer, Doollow, and the rest.

There are many organizations with food and medical supplies waiting fleeing people at the borders, that is not bad, but they have missed the main critical point, and only meeting people whom half of their children died on the roads cuz of hunger and so on.

Juxa   

^^^that is exactly what CL is trying to say. Give them help enroute to the camp.

CL hon aniga dhan adigaa ileh, drop me your number and i shall call insha allah

Jamelia   

^^^^^^^

Donations are not going in the posters pockets are they? If someone's tone deters you from donating to dying somalis, then there really is something wrong with you.

Kool_Kat   

Although I wouldn't call it 'angry rants', I kind of agree with InaJaad on this one... As frustrated as you are with the lack of help from our people, meesha baad iyo qasab ma jirto...

So many of us want to help, but don't know where to start or which organization to trust...For me, regardless of the amount donated, I want to make sure at the end of the day it is getting to those in need...

Kheyr Allaha kaa siiyo for what you and many others are doing for our people...

NGONGE   

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07/20/famine-in-the-horn-of-africa-in-photos/

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,

When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on

Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along

When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)

If you feel like letting go, (hold on)

When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on

'Cause everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends

Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand

If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,

When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,

Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes

And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on

Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on

Everybody hurts. You are not alone<O:p</O:p

Nina Fox   

Kool_Kat;736653 wrote:
So many of us want to help, but don't know where to start or which organization to trust...For me, regardless of the amount donated, I want to make sure at the end of the day it is getting to those in need...

My sentiments exactly. With all these organisations flying around, we must research the most trustworthy ones. Having said that, I've given up, I don't care if the organisation I chose funds classrooms in Venezuela, its all in the niyah that counts and end of the day Allah SWT sees through our good intentions. Sadaqo is sadaqo, period!

Ok lets just say for the sake of argument----everyone has paid their due. THEN WHAT???? Are we going to wait around another 5-10 yrs, relying on CNN to inform us how badly our people are hit by famine/droughts etc? WHAT NEXT?

Any long-term plan?

PS: Please understand where cynical lady is coming from. Its frustrating to feel helpless. Some show more passion than others and some mask it. Whateva floats your boat, I guess. Jazakallah sis, May Allah give you multiple ajars for your efforts. Amin

wallaahi waxaad ka arkeysaan tv waa caana dhan marka aad goobta dhax istaagto iyo inta xooshadaha ku jiraan een rabin in camera laga duubo .

tv markaad ka arkeyso waad calool xumaan ,balse hadaad kor tagtay runti waad ooyi , cunta kaama dageyso ,hurdada xitaa wey kaa tageysaa dhibka yaala meesha owgiis . hey'adaha qaramada midoobay runtii waxa eey afka ka sheegayaan iyo waxa ey qabanayaan aad beey ukala fogyihiin ,wey jiraan kuwa si fiican wax u qabta balse kuligood ma wada ahan . gargaar ka eey geeyaanna waa midaan waxba utareynin dadka nafaqa darada heyso ,wexey keenaan ,bur ,saliid , haruur(galeey).

qof nafaadii ka dhamaatay muxey u tareysaa cunta qalalan . kheyr Allaha siiyo walaalaha muslimiinta ee carab iyo cajamba leh ee u soo gurmaday walaalahood kuwaas oo ukeenay ,caano ,timir iyo waxyaalo kaloo nafaqada soo celiya .

waxa kaloo meesha ku yar oo aadka loogu baahan yahay waa dhaqaatiir daweysa dadkan iyo dawooyin ku filan . cuduro ayaa meehs ka dilaacay duruufaha aawadood .

Taleexi   

Please help the drought victims in your capacity. Be selective which organization to use some are profiteering machines. Long term solution to our predicament must be overdue.

Juxa   

Nina, some time, some where, we must trust someone. It is wrong to refuse just cause meel aad kudhiibto mataqanid etc, anigu koleyba i do like you said, niyeyso, qofkii xada kumiyaal loo wado masakiin isagaa aduun iyo aakhiraba ku halaagmaya

there are hundreds of charities in london alone doing fund raisings, marka give what you can, and on that note, isi diyaari adiga iyo another 9 people. waxa la yiri each person brings 10 people, family or friends

Oz   

When you give zakat or sadaqa you first put it in your niyah then give right! Whether it reaches or not, do you have to ask questions why it didn't get there or otherwise?

Ps: of course you gotta choose an organisation that's legit, again how'd you know. Just put it in the damn niyah and send the money.

Pss: what was the topic again? Ma bad if I interrupted.