Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Complex Islamic response to evolution emerges

Johnny B   

The Muslim world stands at a unique moment in its relation to evolutionary theory, according to the co-author of a major survey into attitudes towards evolution among Muslims around the world.

Acceptance of evolution varies widely across the Islamic world, demonstrating that stereotypical ideas about Islam and evolution are wrong, said Salman Hameed, director of the Centre for the Study of Science in Muslim Societies (SSiMS) at Hampshire College, United Sates.

But ideas are being moulded now, he said, because of new phenomena such as mass education, migration and access to the Internet.

"This is a unique moment," Hameed told the 7th World Conference of Science Journalists (27–29 June) in Qatar this week. He presented initial results from a survey that examines the attempts of educated Muslims to reconcile their religion with the evolutionary science.

The survey is being conducted among doctors and medical students in five Muslim countries — Egypt, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan and Turkey — and also in three countries hosting Muslim diaspora — Turkish doctors in Germany; Pakistani doctors in the United Kingdom; and Arab, Pakistani and Turkish doctors in the United States.

Hameed told SciDev.Net they picked doctors as they would be scientifically literate and share similar educational and social backgrounds. The questions included whether the respondents accepted or rejected the general theory of evolution and, more specifically, whether microbial, animal and human forms of evolution are possible.

He presented the results of just two groups — Pakistanis in the United States and Malaysians in their home country.

More than 80 per cent of Pakistani doctors in the United States accepted the theory of evolution, including microbial, animal and human evolution.

The majority also believed that one could accept the theory of evolution and hold religious beliefs at the same time.

But most Malaysian doctors (in Malaysia) rejected the theory of evolution, especially with regard to humans.

So while Hameed is believes that the basic principles of evolution will eventually become accepted, he said that Muslim countries are still "negotiating modernity" and many replies demonstrated the resulting confusion.

For example, a Turkish doctor said: "It is complicated … I accept evolution scientifically, but reject it religiously". And a Pakistani medical student said: "I accept it when I am in a hospital and reject it when I go home".

Young earth creationism, which holds that Earth was created around 6,000 years ago literally as described in the Bible, and is held by some, mainly US Christian groups, who reject evolution, was absent, demonstrating that media coverage of evolutionary debate needed to be more nuanced.

"Muslim contexts are different from the battles in the United States," Hameed warned. Presenting Muslim attitudes as a controversy was premature and could be damaging, as the "dominant narrative is yet to emerge in the Muslim world", where religion plays an important role in forming people's worldviews.

"If evolution gets conflated with atheism, then a vast rejection, even of the basic principles, is quite possible," he said. Human evolution, though, will likely continue to be a controversial subject — and perhaps be rejected by the majority of Muslims.

A cognitive dissonance or just Human nature, what is your take ?

The Zack   

Heedhe are you still looking for a religion, Johnnyoow(magacyadii Somalida iyo Islaamka waa ka cararay si aan islaam loogu maleen, tolow yaa u sheega in "John" yahay a biblical name).

nuune   

War iska dhaafa baadariga.

Ps: sxb, wlcme back bal niyahow, for the third year in a row, waad ii goysey, soo taan kaaba waayey Ringbey oo dhan, sidii aad sujuudii xiirneyd u hesheyba buul shinbiro ayaad u dhaxdaa

Voltaire   

Johnny B;735115 wrote:
Complex Islamic response to evolution emerges

To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of this. The people in the survey are obviously very well-educated and, as such, I would have expected the given responses more or less. It's very hard for anyone to have a decent biological training and yet still reject the theory of evolution - though, strange enough, some still manage to (not to mention that medical doctors usually have little or no training in biology). It still remains that the general Muslim population, even those in positions of religious authority, are largely unconvinced - for one, because there is a wide spread scientific illiteracy in the Islamic world. Even in the West scientific awareness is very low in the Muslim community. I once had the delight of asking a sheikh, who was on roll at mocking evolution and science, whether he could explain what 'natural selection' is, and he ended-up stuttering. I like the responses of the Turkish doctor and the Pakistani medical student, by the way.

Johnny B   

G P , you're wrong , that is not my source.

Here is my source http://www.scidev.net/en/news/complex-islamic-response-to-evolution-emerges-from-study-1.html:P

Nuune, sxbow sujuidan waa i washay, nowadays , she even gives the post-women that look, she won't let me go to Rinkby.

lakin, waan ka caqli badanahay, waxan ku dhahay, hoyo orod so salaan ,mudaad ka maqneed, and she was like "walaahi.

So now in Augusti, i'll be free again, tolow , intey maqantay ma iibiyaa guriga?! :P

Voltaire, so true , its kind of hard to make out something of that article, yet it reflects on the Muslim world eduacted's views towards Evolution, i wish i'd the same delight encountring a Sheikh who can understand and counter the evolution theory.

For me it's the other way around , i'm puzzled by the rational stand of those secularly eduacted Muslim Doctors, hence my question at the bottom of the article , isen't it a cognitive dissoannace to believe in one thing and deny it on the next breath?

More intresting, Can a Muslim stay Muslim and believe in the Science of Evolution?

Voltaire   

genius pauper.;735430 wrote:
This is the source. all he did was to copy paste. in literature, using the work of a someone, without attributing to him/her is called plagiarism

As if anyone was under the impression that the thread starter was the author of the article!

Johnny B;735454 wrote:
For me it's the other way around , i'm puzzled by the rational stand of those secularly eduacted Muslim Doctors, hence my question at the bottom of the article , isen't it a cognitive dissoannace to believe in one thing and deny it on the next breath?

Well, I think we should view these particularly weird responses under the light of social and authoritarian pressures. If someone had said to me that she/he accepts evolution scientifically and denies it religiously or something along those lines, I would take it to presumably mean that there are social and authoritarian pressures in place to force one in keeping this acceptance under the radar, as if it were.

More intresting, Can a Muslim stay Muslim and believe in the Science of Evolution?

I would say yes, it's perfectly possible for one to remain Muslim yet still accept evolution. It might be bit tricky, though. Reconciling a modern theory of science and, with a lack of a better phrase, an old faith, isn't exactly an easy thing to do. Good luck to anyone who tries!

@voltaire, i didnt represent you, atleast. i was talking for myself. So, plz dont come on board.

Having said that, its high time to appreciate the fact that, evolution is not scientific leave alone being a science. and that is known to all the sciencetist, who have faith.

infact its wrong to think of it as science.

P.s.'science of evolution' doesnt not exist at all. May be to atheist.

Voltaire   

genius pauper.;735595 wrote:
@voltaire, i didnt represent you, atleast. i was talking for myself. So, plz dont come on board.

Having said that, its high time to appreciate the fact that, evolution is not scientific leave alone being a science. and that is known to all the sciencetist, who have faith.

infact its wrong to think of it as science.

P.s.'science of evolution' doesnt not exist at all. May be to atheist.

Oh, please, writing a single coherent sentence is obviously such a pain for you, let alone constructing a well-reasoned and cogent opinion on whether evolution is science or not. To be fair, if this assertion of evolution not being a scientific theory was made by someone little more literate, I would have asked them why they think so for amusement, but you come off as so hopeless that I won't even bother!

still doing the same mistake. i wonder how you else will one tell my pain without feeling it? were you me before.

falsehood won't go far. the same with evolution.

p.s. i really think, jb and vol =the same person

Johnny B   

genius pauper.;735670 wrote:
@jb, do u knw which of the two sites owns the original article???

That you ask this question per se says more about your eventual knowledge regarding the original source of the article, but that doesen't sadden me as much as your inability to pen few coherent lines of thought does. :P

genius pauper.;735670 wrote:
p.s. i really think, jb and vol =the same person

Oh please, You're already displaying the embers of an embryonic intellect.

Voltaire;735567 wrote:
Well, I think we should view these particularly weird responses under the light of social and authoritarian pressures. If someone had said to me that she/he accepts evolution scientifically and denies it religiously or something along those lines, I would take it to presumably mean that there are social and authoritarian pressures in place to force one in keeping this acceptance under the radar, as if it were.

True that there is the inevitable social pressure on the individual, which is a good reason to host contradicting facts, but childhood religious indoctrination and the whole culture of preparation for artificial cohering of reality and faith (even embaracing cognitive dissonance if needs be), seem to be among other things of necessity as to what these doctors must be armoured with, hence their unique ability to selectively believe (choose) facts , because their responses are as you said weird.

Nina Fox   

Accepting evolution as a moslem is like denying the primo humans decendents i.e; Adam and Hawa. It doesn't state anywhere in the Qur'an that man evolved from apes, and accepting evolution as a theory is haram (in my opinion).

A Pakistani medical student said: "I accept it when I am in a hospital and reject it when I go home".

What a hypocrite.