Sign in to follow this  
double decker

What is SOL community doing about the Drought?

Is not it about the time we put all our difference a side and support our brothers and sisters suffering back home? If everyone here pays £50 it will do unimaginable thing so are we ready to do something positive or are we here to kill sometime when we bore at home?

If anyone is planning to do anything either its a football tournament or just collecting money count me in.

NASSIR   

pr-inside.com

08 Jul 2011

Celebrities including Somalian model Iman, athletics star Mo Farah, TV presenter Lorraine Kelly and news reader Natasha Kaplinsky are just some of the high profile names backing Save the Children’s £40million emergency appeal, which launched yesterday to help thousands of children facing starvation in East Africa. Save the Children has launched the appeal to get life-saving help to thousands of Kenyan and Somali children in what the UN has called East Africa's worst drought in 60 years –many children are surviving on just a single bowl of porridge a day

Speaking about the emergency, Iman said; “Watching the news footage of the East Africa drought I am struck by the pictures of children going hungry and thirsty. Save the Children needs your help to continue its life saving work. Please give generously.”

To donate to Save the Children's appeal go to www.savethechildren.org.uk or call +44 20 7012 6400

Source: pr-inside.com

They are waiting for the white man to help them, after every one of the 'muslim brother' turned their back on them. disgraceful rubbish nation.

A_Khadar   

NASSIR;732675 wrote:
What you mean by that A-Khadar?

I meant sol members (most of them) are good nothing but politicizing everything. So watch it sooner or later you will hear its actors.

BTW, I was responding to DD's question about what solers would do about this drought...

NASSAR, why do i need to help my ppl through save children, i think u are not aware of that 40% of in-kind contribution goes to their administration cost.

Yaabka-Yaabkiis

I donated as much as I can (and the most I've ever donated in my life) to UNICEF's emergency relief campaign. http://www.unicef.ca/portal/SmartDefault.aspx?at=2727

Anyone in a position to do so should think about donating to an organization they trust. Better yet, send more money directly back home to any of your relatives in the affected areas.

Yaabka, I work in fundraising and comments like yours don't help anyone. At least Save the Children is there doing something...what are you doing? besides throwing around BS percentages and discouraging people from donating?:mad:

p.s. shouldn't this topic be in the general category? I only found it by searching the word "drought"...I never thought I'd post something in the politics section!

Aaliyyah   

^In one of my socio lectures, my prof has mentioned one day that unicef only directs 5% of their fundraiseing money to their cause. The rest is paid to the executives and what not. So, I would think twice before I send some money to some organization.

Best way is to send money back home directly and by that I don't mean sending money to relatives (i mean alhamdulilah u can utuurtuur boqol marba qofki kuso waca thats not a biggie). But, if you truly honestly wanna do something about back home is best to send money to the established hospitals and schools back home. That will be money well spend!..

salaam

Grasshoper, i did not encourage anything, why not send through dahabshiil donations, for your information i am working for an aid organization which is very active in somalia and do travel to somalia that i know more about unicef and save children. besides BS Percentages do help our ppl in emergency need instead. Are you just saying that BS Percentages do go to our salaries and should not be mentioned. i am again asking why do i need to help my ppl through UNICEF, why not through dahabshiil donations , though islamic donations?

First of all the reason I posted this topic here is because we somalis talk about nothing but politics at least the majority of us. secondly let us not please divert the issue and as Aaliyah said UNICEF or any international organisation will put the majority of the money in their pocket.

Can we not find someone within SOL community who is in somalia that we can send money to? of course trust worthy person and sure he/she cant do worst then UNICEF.

Let us remember that could have been us. its nothing to allah to do what ever he wants. sorry its getting late and I am in rush.

Look, this shouldn't be an argument about who or what organization you donate to - the bottom line is put your money where your mouth is and GIVE to ease the suffering of our people. No need to continue this debate that's clearly taking away from the topic at hand...

Find an organization you trust and donate. simple. for me it's unicef. for others it could be an islamic one or a somali based one or anything. as long as you trust them and know that your money will get to where it needs to be. Hopefully someone suggests some somali orgs here....

That's all. ew, I posted in the politics section again... :P