Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Somali Education Minister Joins SomaliCAN in Honoring Graduates in Ohio

Somalina   

SomCan4.jpg

Columbus, Ohio - SomaliCAN- Somalia’s Minister for Education, Heritage & Higher Education, Dr. Abdinur Mohamud honored hundreds of Somali students who graduated from Ohio high schools and colleges at the Second Annual Ohio Somali Graduation Ceremony held at the Ballroom of the Hilton Hotel in Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Jibril Mohamed, President of SomaliCAN and Mr. Sahid Ali, ESL Coordinator for Columbus Schools were the Masters of Ceremony for the program.

The event is organized annually by SomaliCAN, an outreach and advocacy organization based in Ohio and the Somali Education Association, a resource education for educators, parents, and students in the United States. Six of the graduates were awarded scholarships by the Law Office of Russell Flickinger while two more scholarships were awarded by the Ohio State University-Marion.

SomaCan5.jpg

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman, Columbus Schools Superintendent Dr. Gene Harris, the leadership of Westerville Schools, representatives from the Ohio State University, Columbus State Community College, and local, county, state, and federal government representatives participated in the event to recognize the academic achievement of Somali graduates.

Presidential Service Awards from the White House were presented to two educators- Mr. Sahid Ali of the Columbus City Schools, and Abdikarim Gole who teaches the Somali languages at the Ohio State University. The Presidential Award is the highest honor given to American Citizens who show exceptional commitment to service and bears the signature of the United States President, Barack Obama.

SomCan2.jpg

Renowned Somali leaders who spoke to the graduates included Ali Mire Awale, the composer of the Somali National Anthem, Dr. Abdisalan Sheikh Hussein, former Minister for Higher Education in Somalia as well as his deputy, Dr. Yussuf Columbus.

Education Minister Dr. Abdinur Sheikh Mohamed emphasized the importance of education and encouraged graduates to sustain their effort until they attain higher education. “It takes two educated parents to raise a functioning family in America” he said. The minister traveled from Somalia in order to show his support for more than 300 Somali students who graduated from Ohio schools and colleges in 2011.

SomCan1.jpg

SomCan3.jpg

Somalia’s Minister for Education, Heritage & Higher Education, Dr. Abdinur Mohamud honored hundreds of Somali students who graduated from Ohio high schools and colleges at the Second Annual O

what is he doing in Ohio ? when he can help students in Somalia. This is great nothing wrong honoring Somali students in abroad but the real job is in the homeland where the uneducated young people are on the rise. Typical Somali politician always using his vacation time to do unnecessary work .

Somalina   

What are you doing for the people back home other than complaining on an online forum?

If it wasn't for men like Dr. Abdinur Mogadisho University wouldn't have existed today. Check your facts before you attack Dr Abdinur.

He is in Ohio to visit his family if that makes sense to you.

Taleexi   

I've been one of the coordinators of a research regarding how the diaspora community could make a difference back home. Surprisingly, one of the findings showed a strong correlation between those in the diaspora that are hopeful to return and their contributions - In another words, those who were hopeless their minimal contributions were brought to the surface.

Somalina I am not degrading the minister but just pointing few

facts. We would appreciate to see photo of him with students in

Mogadishu current time. All these ministers have done something but

but not enough. It's either tour to Europe ,America and middle east or they are

Locked up in their villa

As Somali citizen I have right to have my opinions heard no complaints . If I was

a minister , I will stand with the people and do what the job requirements are.

I will not wear different suits , eat fancy meals and have free ticket to different conferences

when my own people are suffering from many aspect.

I do my job as citizen to respect and help my community

Gabbal   

SomaliCan is a most excellent Somali organization. They were recently honored by the US State Department for their contribution to immigrant life in the US. Abdinuur deserves all the accolades he gets.