Sign in to follow this  
SoMa_InC

Is Earnings from the Lottery Haraam/Halal?

SoMa_InC   

Asalamu Aleikum yall?

I have a question that has been troubling me for a little while. Here it goes.

Can a Muslim person work for an organisation that is been funded by the national lottery? Even though one aint playing the lottery but can he/she get paid from this?

I'll appreciate if anybody could me on this matter.

Jazakallah.

SoMa_InC,

I don’t fall in the Islamicly-educated category, but I googled and found this treasure, which I think answers your question.

--------------------------------------------

Buying lottery tickets

3/24/2004 7:35:00 AM GMT

Does buying lottery tickets fall into the category of gambling which is haram? What response would you give to people who claim to be only occassional gamblers?

Answer:

Lotteries and raffles are other names for gambling, which is haraam according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and the consensus of the scholars. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols, etc.), and Al Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?†[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91]

It is not permissible for the Muslims to engage in any kind of gambling at all, whether the money collected from gambling is to spent on charitable projects or otherwise, because it is evil and forbidden, as indicated by the general meaning of the evidence (daleel), and because the earnings derived from gambling are among the kinds of earnings which we must avoid and beware of. And Allaah is the Source of strength. (Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/442)

Read on (there're more discussions on this very issue)