Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, the New Somalia PM

Madaxweyne Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed ayaa u magacaabay xilka ra'iisal wasaaraha cusub, Cabdiweli Maxamed Cali oo sii hayay xilkaasi, tan iyo markii uu iscasilay ra'iisal wasaarihii hore Maxamed Cabdullaahi Farmaajo.

Xafladda magacaabista waxay ka dhacday xarunta madaxtooyada Soomaaliya ee magaalada Muqdisho, halkaasoo uu goob joog ahaayeen guddoomiyaha baarlamaanka Shariif Xasan Sheekh Aadan iyo ra'iisal wasaarihii hore Maxamed Cabdullaahi Farmaajo.

Cabdiweli Maxamed Cali wuxuu ka mid ahaa wasiirkii qorsheynta ee xukuumaddii Farmaajo.

Wuxuu ka mid ahaa aqoonyahanka Soomaalida ee qurbaha wax ku bartay, gaar ahaan dalka Maraykanka.

nuune   

I have a feeling that he will resign on September 27, 2011, forced resignation by our king Mahiga.

MOGADISHU, Somalia — Somalia’s president has named a Somali-American economist as the country’s new prime minister.

Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, who taught economics at Niagara University in Lewiston, New York, was elevated Thursday from his position as minister of planning and international cooperation.

Ali’s appointment puts a highly educated technocrat high within the Mogadishu administration. Ali has graduate degrees in public administration from Harvard and another in economics from Vanderbilt University.

Ali’s predecessor, Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, was ousted in a deal denounced by many in Somalia. That deal was aimed at ending infighting between President Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed and Parliamentary Speaker Sharif Hassan Sheik Aden.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

a very honest question.

what are the powers of the speaker of the somali parliament?

how comes a speaker wants to have a portion of power to appoint ministers and P.minister, for that matter?

p.s. what kind of a government structure is the tfg adopting?

Taleexi   

Abwaan;730157 wrote:
My only HOPE is that he has a power to name his cabinet!

Abwaan, that is a distant hope given the current political dynamism of Somalia.

Baashi   

Quick word to Abdiwali:

The position you are nominated for is the most thankless position out there. If you do not have the influence to steer this TFG train wreck from the edge of the cliff it’s heading to, consider saying NO now. If you choose to stay on make sure you work with two Sherrifs and use diplomacy as much as you can. Tell Farole that PL is represented and that he needs to focus on immediate issues in his zone.

With that the following are few questions worth pondering on:

Do you understand why Somalia is where it is at? Who are the factions, disputants, and contestants in this conflict? Why do they keep on fighting and fussing? What are they fighting for, over, and about?

Do you understand TFI’s primary task is to facilitate the reconciliation process? Is negotiation between equals (numerous disputants including recovery zones, Islamists) acceptable to the entity you represent?

How the factions (both clan and religious groupings) in this intractable conflict manage this pseudo - anarchy situation and reconcile their differences?

Is coercion (peacemaking --since there is no peace to keep -- by a foreign entities or international organization) an appropriate response to this conflict? Ugandan and Burundian troops are protecting you from your own people! And now IGAD is asking TFG to pay lip service to the reconciliation process and declare that Somalia has transitioned to a functioning state!!!!!!!!!

Is there an alternate dispute resolution process Somalis can employ to settle this gruesome, prolonged, and difficult conflict? Who can serve as a neutral 3rd party to mediate this process? Is Saudi, Egypt, or Turkey as a mediator acceptable to your entity. Turkey is interested in the plight of Somalis.

Can you say no to the plan pushed by Somalis (recovery zones) and supported by frontline and regional states as well as international actors to slice and dice 9 million people into fiefdoms? Ethiopia is 90 million strong and some of the ethnic groups (not mere clans mind you) oppose to the center-periphery arrangement and opt for independence through self-determination track. Yet it will not tolerate any hint that questions its territorial integrity! Same with multiethnic Kenya!

As usual Qurbo Joog will congregate in their beloved biibito, sip tea and dissect every move politicians, warlords, spokesperson in Somalia make. Most of Qurbo Joog will root for their kin, defend his actions and words, spin his fumbles, and passionately argue incessantly over minute and useless details just because they have the luxury to do so. DO NOT please us.

[EDIT]

Nominate Farmaajo to an important Ministry Portfolio. Not that I think ministry housed in one of the rooms in Villa Somalia amounts much. But as good gesture and good faith, bring him back to the fold -- you would have his supporters on your corner as well.

Veteran Fadhi-Ku-Dirrir,

Waxa-La-Yirri Wires.

+++Unsolited advice to the new PM+++

Showqi   

I don't think he has any power. Right now the two Sharifs are looking for another Nacamleeye.

4287.jpg

AbdiWeli is by far the most educated man to ever run any office in Somalia. I welcome his appointment however we have to wait untill the cabinet is named before things are clear..

A good move..

Baashi;730162 wrote:
Quick word to Abdiwali:

Nominate Farmaajo to an important Ministry Portfolio. Not that I think ministry housed in one of the rooms in
Villa
Somalia amounts much. But as good gesture and good faith, bring him back to the fold -- you would have his supporters on your corner as well.

Baashi, I am not clear as to why Farmajo would be interested in such post, but I presume each individual has a preference. If I were Farmaajo, I would just move on and let the new team have their space. As for radical “accomplishments” under the new team, I just think it is a mute exercise to anticipate tangible deliverables from an expanded cabinet at such a short period. Abdiweli is a good man, but under the Kampala accord there is just not enough political capital under his belt to alter the political reality back home.

We shall see.