Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Bal Maxaa Sidaa u Diiday ....

Ibtisam   

So, was it;

1) A clan party

2) A political ideology party

3) A Somali Independence party

He had no right to attend if the answer was 1 or 2, but every right to attend if the answer is 3, in saying that, it does not mean that HE SHOULD attend. After all there is a difference between having the right and practicing that right.

I dont approve of every clan holding their own party, it is nice to see someone other than your own relatives once in a while, even if it is just to say hello.

P.s.s. Xiin, your xafaad is hardly known for having a significant SL nationals, perhaps that explains why you are not confronted with SL ideas on the regular. It would be strange if there was a group of southerners spreading the political ideology of SL nooh? :D

The Zack   

I was not questioning laangaabnimada reerka in MN, I am well aware of that, I was commenting on the "Nationals of SL" part :D :D

Anyways, where in the states is a "northern stronghold"? I barely saw any reer waqooyi in all the 20 + states I have been to.

Ibtisam   

^^That is the point- they didn't go to the states, they went to Europe or the Arab states- which of course lagag daab yimi, so in all honest wa minority in all cities except for Sheffield, Liverpool & Cardiff which is a mini Burco and Hargeisa. Even London is now majority populated by other Somalis.

Ibti-It is not really about having the right to be there or not. He's obviously there, it's matter of provoking people by bringing secessionist flag, something Southerners whom form the majority in that town don't agree with.

Ibtisam   

^So what, they are all adults deal with it, the flag wont eat people, but if celebrations for June 26, no one can tell another somali you can't celebrate. I particularly northern feel a specific attachment to and they should. Political ideology has moved people in different directions, we have to be able to tolerate each other, otherwise each person locks itself with only people who agree with them.

As somalis we are allergic to others who have a different view and always feel the need to beat them into submission, it is what got us in this mess in the first place.

In any case Che, this looks like a community event, far southerners are known for their hospitality, wa maxey nikaa policika loo wacey!! :eek: :eek:

^Secessionist flag doesn't foster the June 26 spirit in the minds of southern Somalis and southerners don't support secession. It's only logical for southerners not wanting to see secessionist flag being waved at this event.

And it's not really about Somalis beating each other into submission. It's fundamental political difference any member of any society would react to. Tell me any country that tolerate secessionist movement?

Ibtisam   

Key word being a country- Somalia is not a country; and Somaliland is not a marginalized repressed secessionist group within a functioning society- it is an entity on its own. So that is really besides the point

Secondly the flag represented an aspiration to unit all Somalis, an aspiration which has not materialized and remains in a ideal. An ideal which southerns aey daadka kale ka xiigin, particularly northerners.

They are all refugees in the states, it is meaningless to fight over an ideal that has left the building a long time ago. And it is not in the spirit of June 26, they could've of course just said this is a southerners party and kept it clan based if they are offended by other Somalis. :P

People are aware of the realities and the unrealized dreams but the difference one wholly rejected the idea of one Somali nation while the other though in no position to alter realities still believes in that. The two are diametrically opposed in politics and vision, expecting unionist to welcome northerner with secessionist flag in his hand is just unrealistic regardless of the need for inclusiveness of the moment.

Ibtisam   

And so it just becomes yet another pointless clan celebration and we shall remain in that state for so long as we cannot tolerate each others difference.

All hail the clan parties. :cool:

Ibtisam   

Che, its a clan part, weereka iska daaf, it would be pointless to call it anything but that;- I can bet my bottom dollar that even central Somalis had their own xuus separately. :cool:

^If you are alleging a particular tribe staged this event, that's different story and I can't speak to what people in MNPLS do. However, Boston folks always held one independence day event and is attended by all Somalis. Most northerners in Boston are unionists and not surprisingly from eastern regions and Awdal. Individuals that are secessionists do attend but they don't bring their politics and flag to the event.