OdaySomali

Cheap alternatives to asphalst roads

Bluelicious;804570 wrote:
Let's get out of this cranky old man's thread who thinks his sahara thread is all that when it's not. Bring up the "
Interview with Bluelicious
'' thread you can talk over there.

Thats right... take 'this' to your luuq :D

Let me give you an example of where my proposal could be implemented. Such a project could transform small towns and re-generate city-centres.

Look at Hadaaftimo and Las-Anod here.

- Cobblestone could be cut from the nearby rocks and used for paving of the streets, public areas and market.

1559914464_93a0962808_o.jpg

6085862201_e81d31e0e3_z.jpg

Mario B   

OdaySomali;804563 wrote:
^ Can you two take your shenanigans into the domain of the PM facility. No need to waste a potentially good topic.

Cherio.

Bluelicious and K.O.W ruined a perfect thread!:(

Mario B;827671 wrote:
Bluelicious and K.O.W ruined a perfect thread!
:(

OdaySomali knows i'm sowwie and didn't meant it like that. We are cool with each other.

Artan;804527 wrote:
Hey, by golly Oday! You have impressed me with your business mind, you and I; we are alike because we are forward thinking and do not let the present conditions of Somalia get us down. I've come up with a business plan and will implement it this summer.

Thank you Artan. Its not a new idea nor is it particularly innovative but it might just work. Inshallah I wish you all the best with your business plan.

Sensei;804533 wrote:
Pretty neat idea for our towns and cities, especially residential zones. I hear the cracks between setts create natural drainage system, and besides places like Xamerweyne or old sections will look nicer with the whole throwback look.

Yep thats the idea. It would also create jobs for 1,000's of people.

Bluelicious;827694 wrote:
OdaySomali knows i'm sowwie and didn't meant it like that. We are cool with each other.

Just promise not to do it again ;):P

BN   

Very interesting discussion. I fully agree with the value of good road systems and networks, and their ROI to local communities, anti-poverty efforts and wider aggregate economic development. Shell Co. has it's own "instapave" that is marketed as being much cheaper as well. It was interesting to read some statistics and evidence-based analysis of the direct and indirect impacts of these seemingly less than urgent investments.

Shell Instapave Systems offer rural areas a number of attractive advantages to conventional paving systems.

Whole lifecycle analysis within Shell has shown that Shell Instapave Systems are cost-effective paving systems for a medium to long term surface lifespan. In El Salvador, Shell’s results taken over a 10-year period show a total lifecycle cost, including construction and maintenance, significantly lower than that of alternative road paving technologies. Based on these results, Shell Instapave Systems can be up to 40% cheaper than gravel road options, up to 50% cheaper than hot mix asphalt and up to 110% cheaper than concrete paving systems.

The value that good rural roads provide is supported by facts from the World Bank (2009):

-Impact studies have proved the benefits good rural roads can have on local health and education

-In just one area of India, the average household income rose from $375 to $700 p.a. and literacy rates increased from 32% to 43% following investment in local roads Pakistan alone is spending $3 billion on rural road development over the next 5 years

In fact, the World Bank concludes that Rural road investments are found to reduce poverty significantly through higher agricultural production, higher wages, lower input and transportation costs, and higher output prices. Rural roads also lead to higher girls’ and boys’ schooling.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/bitumen/products/shell_instapave/

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTRURALT/Resources/515369-1264605855368/IDA_tr.pdf

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/IW3P/IB/2006/03/29/000012009_20060329093100/Rendered/PDF/wps38750rev0pdf.pdf