Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

What attracts Somalis to Salafism?

sahal   

I'm here again,

Before we discuss the Salafi methodology etc, I tend to differentiate between thos who really followed our SALAF's way and those who called themselves as SALAFI.

Bros & Sis, have you ever heard someone called Rabiic Bin hadi Al-madkhali calling his group as SALFI and excluding others calling them other names etc.?

So b4 we say are they on the right or wrong direction? we have to ask ourselves (Which group could we call SALAFIYAH; RABIIC's group or SALMAN's group or SALAFI JIHAD's Group?) These are three main SALAFIYAH group today. there is also other group which near to SALAMAN's group whom they call Parlimentarian Salafi i.e those who permitted to become parlimantarian etc.

For me the nearst group to our SALAF's way is SALMAN FAHAD AL-AWDA Group (if we can call as Group).

Let me see who you think the Salafi's are!

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Salafi_Online:

Bro NUr

Islamic unity is absolutely crucial and obligatory, but is it feasible? .... The usual rant on “Islamic unity “is superficial and simplistic at best. There is no consensus on what we should agree or unite upon....

Hmmm - I thought it was the Quran and the Sunnah as the Prophet himself has said. The consensus is ahl al sunnah wal jamaca within the parameters set by the Prophet, his companions et al. Calling this other than Islam or the sunnah makes Islamic unity less feasible.

Originally posted by Uthman1:

And unity will only be brought about once we adhere to the Quran and Sunnah and interpret it like the way of the salafs, whether you name this order Salafism or not is irrelevant because this is the true teachings of islam.

and 'interpret the way of the salafs'?? Isn't the interpretation supposed to be the way of the Prophet, his companions and other learned scholars agreed upon by knowledgeable Muslims? Who are the salafs - did the above mentioned call themselves that? Why are you calling them that? And naming it salafism is relevant - since you're putting on a label that they did not give themselves. If it is the true teachings of Islam - then call it just that. Don't add a man made label.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

What I don’t hear you say, or, worst yet, seem to be taking it lightly, however, is the weight of the salafi term. It’s very significant, my good brother, to judge each and every term by its merit. Despite this discussion’s audience’s tacit disapproval of continuing this tread, I would like you to either invalidate or affirm my understanding of your stance about labels and names (other than Muslim of course): do you deem them all divisive and unnecessary? Remember my good brother what I am taking issue with is your depiction of Salafism as a label that helps in dividing the Ummah in to sects. That’s very gross charge, mind you, against what I consider the attitude and approach of our Islamic forefathers, so to speak! I await your answer!

Those supporters of salafism and salafis claim that it is back to basics and the true teachings of Islam. If it is so - why would you add a label? If it is the truth that everyone should be seeking and practising - adding a label other than 'truth' is inherently divisive. It signifies my truth(as forumlated by X, Y and Z and given a label) as opposed to God's truth. If salafism is other than back to basics and the true teachings of Islam - then the label has merit in the sense that it distinguishes it an offshoot from Islam much like the labels Shia or Druze etc. And of course in this case - it hardly merits defending.

Nur   

Uthman Bro.

You write;

In conclusion the division is brought about ignorance of the teachings of the Messenger(pbuh) and the desires of people to bring about innovation into the religion. And unity will only be brought about once we adhere to the Quran and Sunnah and interpret it like the way of the salafs, whether you name this order Salafism or not is irrelevant because this is the true teachings of islam.

Your fisrts statement makes ignorance as the culprit, which is correct, your last statement says that unity can only be achieved if we adhere to Quran and Sunnah alone.

My question is: Is the adherence to the Quran and Sunnah an end or a means to an end?

If it is an end, what is it?

Nur

Ameen   

Originally posted by Nur:

My question is: Is the adherence to the Quran and Sunnah an end or a means to an end?

If it is an end, what is it?

Nur

That's a good question. And 2 years later, the answer is....

Nur   

Winnie sis

So your take on this question is that:

1. Paradise is the End.

2. Adherence to the Quran and Sunnah is the only means.

Let us discuss the First part, the second part becomes clear afterwards inshAllah.

As humans, is our end ( Goals behind our creation ) different than Allah's ( Goals behind our creation )?

Here we need to agree on the End , or goal.

The qualifying question therefore is, WHOSE GOAL ?

Allah's or Mankind's?

Is Paradise a reward for adherence to Allah's Goals , or a stand alone Goal behind our creation ?

In Quraan, Allah swt says: I have not created mankind and Jinn except for them to worship me .

Is it possible that we seek Paradise as a goal and yet fail in establishing true Ibaada on earth which is Allah's END Goal?

Conversely, is it possible that we make our End goal in life to live in constant Ibaada ( of course after understanding its true meaning ) and fail to reach paradise?

The answer of the above two questions can help in prioritizing our tasks in life, to be aligned with Allah's goals, and purpose behind our creation and hence influence the context of our understanding of the Quraan and Sunnah.

Nur

Nur   

Ngonge bro

Sorry, I missed your question by only 3 years!:

You Write:

^^^ I agree with part of what you say there (the part about salafism being a new concept that started in Sudia Arabia). However, in one of your earlier arguments, you alluded to the fact that we assign names to schools of thought by the names of their originators (Bin Hanbal, Abu Hanifa, etc). Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that Salafis reject such labels too!

There is a difference in CONTEXTS between Schools of Fiqh

1. From the context of the Fiqhul Ibaadaat and Mucaamalaat we have the fours Schools.

Imaam, Malik, Shafici and Ahmed ibn Hambal and Abu Haniifa

2. From the context of Fiqhul Aqeeda Schools, we have many schools.

A. Ahlul Sunnah wal Jamaaca ( Predominant), B. Shia. C. Ibaadhiya ( Remnants of Khawaarij), D. Baatiniya, Ashaacirah and so on.

Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jamaaca I am not talking about the neo-Warlord organization in Mudug, Somalia follow one of the four schools.

From the CONTEXT of Fiqhul Harakah of Islamic Movements, we have.

Ikhwaan from which Islaah and Hisb al Tahrir were born. Salafiya, with variations such as Jadida, whose main focus is absolute obedience to Islamic Rulers, Tabligh, and the unattached general Muslim populace.

The scope of the discussion above is that:

1. Ikhtilaaf Difference in Opinions in interpretation of texts is natural

2. Tafarruq Creation of Different Groups along the Ikhtilaaf is Haraam

Wallahu Aclam!

I hope this classification helped

Nur

Nur   

Naxar Saaxib

This thread may help answer your questions about the difference of the Salafi groups.

Nur

sort of, there seems to be a lot of back and forth though, still a little confused but i will research their history. so for all I got was they want to turn the clock back to a certain date.

To the poster, what makes you thing Somalis, I rerly come across people who say they are salafis. Meet more sufis or those who don't even know what school of thought they follow but just pray, fast and ...

Nur   

A good refrence thread for those seeking answers on aqeedah issues as debated at SOL

Nur

Haatu   

Originally posted by Xaji_Xunjuf:

Nabii maxammad never used to call him self a salafi

Because Salafi means someone who follows the Prophet, Saxaaba, Taabiciin and Taba Taabiciin. So there's no logical way the prophet could have called himself a Salafi. At the end of the day it's just a different word for a Sunni.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Xaji_Xunjuf:

Nabii maxammad never used to call him self a salafi

so u should never call your self a salafi

He called himself a blessed Salaf, a salafi is naturally a follower of the salaf (predecessor). The prophet said to his daughter Faatimah, "Indeed, I am for you a blessed Salaf." [al-Bukhari, number: 2652] There's misunderstanding of the meaning of the term 'salafi' and what it entails to be one and this I think has a lot to do with the attitude and actions of so called salafis today.

Most of us who follow the the Quraan, Sunnah and the Jama'ah are salafis by definition. However, it is better to call yourself a Muslim because Allah (SWT) has praised the one who does so in the Quran. Fusailat 33.

Nur   

Blessed sis,

The Hadeeth that you have quoted does not support the argument under discussion which is permissibility of calling ourselves any name other than MUSLIM.

The context of the Hadeeth here is about Blessed Leadership. Because there is other types of leadership.

The word Salaf in Quraan, depending on context can mean:

A. Precedent: Allah SWT says about Pharaoh and His soldiers: And We made them a precedent (as a lesson for those coming after them), and an example to later generations.

B. Example - Lesson (Cibrah) - Leadership:

Leadership can in turn be:

1. Good leadership: Leads followers to success in the hereafter, regardless of the suffering in the present life. (Which is the leadership the Prophet SAWS Offered Fatima RAA)

2. Bad Leadership: Leads to disgrace in the hereafter regardless of the goodness of quality of present life. This is the Leadership of Pharaoh for his people, they lived an affluent rich life, but due to their injustice, it ended in disgrace

The Word Salaf can also mean:

Past Earning: ( Maa Aslafat)

Allah SWT says in Surah Yunus 30: "There! Every person will know (exactly) what (all) he had earned before, and they will be brought back to Allah, their rightful Lord (Maula), and their invented false deities will vanish from them.

Also in Surah Maidah, Verse 95 Allah SWT says : Cafaallahu camma salaf , meaning Allah has forgiven the past deeds

In conclusion:

There is no Daleel Sharci, that its permissible to call this Ummah a different name other then the name Allah SWT has called them in Quraan.

Allah SWT says in Surah Al Xajj Verse 78:

And strive hard in Allah's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islamic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islam), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) . It is He (Allah) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'an), that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform Prayers (Iqamat-as-Salat), give Zakat ( Poor's due) and hold fast to Allah [i.e. have confidence in Allah, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Mawla (Sovereign, Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Mawla (Sovereign, Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Rescuer!

Nur