Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Ma anaa waalan mise lugta la iga qaniinay?

Blessed   

LOL. NG. Runtii, you've had it so easy with your three but well done--- you've done us proud, ayeeyo. : D

NGONGE   

Today is Dahabo’s first day at school. In many countries in the world children are put in classes according to their abilities. In fact, in the Arab world, if you fail a year in school you have to do it again. If you start school at a later age, you have to still start from the beginning (or go to night school). In the UK, they don’t follow such a system; they put you in a class that corresponds with your age!

Dahabo missed nursery and reception but she still has to go to year one in school. Some of you here might be able to identify with her and what she is about to encounter as she attends school for the first time in her life. I can merely attempt to imagine it (I was in nursery when I was four, nooh). I can also guess what some of you planned to do on your first day at school from the messages I’ve been getting from Dahabo in the past few days. In example of which is this morning as I was leaving to work and was giving her a final pep talk about the day ahead.

Me: Markaad skoolka tegto maxaad sameen?

Dahabo: Magacaygii ayaan qoraya.

Me: Oo magacaaga ma qori taqaan?

Dahabo: Maya, skoolka i baraya.

Me: Ma maanta?

Dahabo: Haa!

Me: Haye, maxaa kale?

Dahabo: Waxba!

Me: Skoolka ma magacaaga uun ayuu ku bari?

Dahabo: Haa!

Me: Wax kale kuma barayaan?

Dahabo: Heeso iyo akhris iyo ciyaar iyo quraan

Me: Miya quraan kuma barayaan

Dahabo: Hee?

Me: Af ingreesi ayaa lago barayaa

Dahabo: Af ingreesi waa taqaana

Me: Ma adiga?

<O:p</O:p

Dahabo: Haa, waa taqaana

Me: “magacaa” af ingreesi ku dheh

Dahabo: WHats YOUR nAme WHats YOUR nAme?

Me: Good girl.

Dahabo: Aniga good girl.

Me: Haa, adigaa good girl.

Dahabo: OK. En..en..en..Taank U ferry MOSH.....you welcome igu dheh..igu dheh..hee you welcome igu dheh dee.

Me: You’re welcome.

Dahabo: Haye.

Me: Lakin, macalimiinta ma “thank you” iyo “you’re welcome bad ku waalaysa uun?”

Dahabo: Enn..enn..Skoolka ma macalimiin ba jooga?

With her fondness for giving people nicknames, I fully expect her to return today talking about Barry Buur, Majeed Madax & Danial Duufle.

Any of you remember your first day in “gaalo” school? :D<O:p</O:p

Allow Dahabo noo daa - she sounds a smart girl.

Ngonge - you should have at least volunteered to stay with her for the first hour of her first day in school to ensure some what smooth transition to school routine.

something thing tells me - you are more looking forward to the stories than ensuring the little lady's smooth transition to school routine

Malika   

^:D. She sounds like a trooper, just anticipate a few cases of 'she scratched Jenny' ama 'she slapped Tommy' in the next few weeks..

ps.Teach her basic survivor English Language e.g asking for the toilet, water etc. Go through with her the school routines, e.g What to do with her lunch box, P.E kit etc, sitting on the carpet, taking turns /sharing resources etc etc.

Juxa   

lol@scratching and slapping. I am rooting for dahabo maasha allah

ps: my first day at gaalo school i was 20something so hardly helpful yaa ngonge

NGONGE   

Sayid, I would have loved to have gone but, sadly, I'm not her legal guardian (her sister went with her instead). AND, I would have got more stories had I gone warya. :D

NGONGE   

^^ I don't think dee. I don't even go looking for them, they just happen and I remember them. That's all.

NGONGE;722748 wrote:
^^ I don't think dee. I don't even go looking for them, they just happen and I remember them. That's all.

a wise man said once: 'a true master of tales is one who can spin something out of nothing' - lets hope you don't spice any events that happen to Dahabo with the myths about the goldfish :D

NGONGE   

^^ Dahabo got bullied the other day and it was all my fault! :D

But I'll tell you about that later. First, let us have some monkey business.

It's been almost three weeks since she started school and in all that time she does not seem to have learned that much. In fact, almost everything she knows thus far has been taught to her at home. However, the other day, Dahabo told me that she was looking at pictures of "Bahalka HOO HOO HOO yidhaahda". I realised that she was talking about a monkey and told her the name of the darn thing.

The next day and because I know how bad her memory is, I asked her:

Me: "Dahabo, bahalka HOO HOO HOO yidhaahda magacee?"

Her: "DOG!"

Me: "Maya adeer Dog maha"

Her: " CAT?"

Me: "Maya, CAT waa bisaad"

Her: "Ma taqaan"

Me: "Tuma?"

Her: "Aniga"

Me: "Car af ingreesi ku sheeg"

Her: " I DAN KNOWwwww"

Me: "Sax! Good girl"

Her: "Bahalka magacee?"

Me: "Ma ka HOO HOO HOO yidhaada?"

Her: "Haa"

Me: "Hadaba sii fiican o maqal oo xasuuso. Hada bari ayaan ku waydeen! Waaa MON-KEY"

Her: "MON-KEY..MON-KEY..MON-KEY"

The next day, as the whole family were randomly talking over dinner, I noticed that she was left out of the conversation and decided to involve her by asking about the word.

Me: "Dahabo, bahalka HOO HOO HOO yidhaahda magacee?"

Her: "Bahalkee?"

Me: "Ka HOO HOO HOO yidhaahda"

Her: "Sug. Wan sii xasuusanaya"

Me: "Haye"

Her: "bahalka muxu sameeya?"

Me: "HOO HOO HOO ayuu yidhaahda. Haye, sheeg dee, magacee?"

Her: "DOG maaha"

Me: "Maya Dog maaha"

Her: "Sida Dog-ga Woof Woof miyuu yidhaahda?"

Me: "Maya. HOO HOO HOO ayuu yidhaahda" and then I proceed to do the hand gestures too!

Her: "KAT maaha"

Me: "Maya Kat maaha"

Her: "Sida Kat-ka MIYAAW MIYAAW miyuu yidhaahda?"

Me "Maya. HOO HOO HOO ayuu yidhaahda. Car magaciisa sheeg"

Her: "Ku so celi. Ku so celi. Mar kaliya ku so celi"

Me: "HOO HOO HOO"

Her: "Maxay?"

Me: "HOO HOO HOOOOO"

Her: "Miyuu booda?"

Me: "Haa wuu booda HOO HOO HOO na wuu yidhaahda"

Her: "HOO HOO HOO?"

Me: "Haa. HOO HOO HOO"

Her (with a very cheeky and knowing smile on her face) "Ma kuu sheega bahalka HOO HOO yidhaahda?"

Me: "Haa ii sheeg"

Her: "Bal ku so celi"

Me: "Iga tag waxba ma garanaysid"

Her: "Ooooh! Waa taqaana waa taqaana. Mar, mar uun ku so celi, adeer"

Me: "HOO HOO HOO"

Her (giggling away and showing me that I've been had): "MON-KEY".

-----------

As for the bullying; it seems that she got cornered in the toilet by a couple of girls who pushed her to the floor and slammed a door against her head. When I asked her why did she not fight back she said that I told her not to fight and instead keep saying "leave me alone". When I asked her if she could have defended herself,s he readily replied that both girls were "nuuno and that she could have easily beaten them both". Heh.

^lol@ waa taqaanaa. Is she losing her Somali lingo or is it your bad Somalia? lool ..Waa maxay "leave me alone" waar tell her to fight back. Don't let her been bullied around. Good progress by the way.