Sign in to follow this  
SAGAL

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ON MUSIC

SAGAL   

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ON MUSIC

We always feel very relax & sometimes very exciting while listening music & we feel that music leaves very light effects on us which gives us pleasure. And this is the reason that we often listening music whenever we are tense & want to relax or when ever we feel boring, even that we celebrate with our pleasures with music. Music makes an image in our minds that "it's something which can provide us physical & mental rest".

Now we see by some scientific evidences that up to what extent these "hypothesis" are valid. In this respect there are two major changes which are observed in a person during listening music by different scientists. These changes & there detail is as follows:

1. Release of Adrenaline:

The first thing which is discovered in latest research is that, while listening music "adrenaline" is released in human body in high quantity. Adrenaline is a hormone which is released in human body under stress conditions. & in normal situation very low quantity of this hormone is released.

It is discovered that adrenaline release constantly during listening music & this release of adrenaline cause restlessness & insomnia in the body. Along with it there are many adverse effects of the adrenaline release in high quantities.

The first hypothesis that "music relaxes the man" has been rejected by the excessive release of adrenaline.

2. Harm to nerves:

A very famous doctor Born Alder of the Columbia University America took an experiment on the 15-20 year old girls & he found that "The best melodious record of music can badly harm the nerves of the human body " he also encode that theses effects enhance in the summer season & also increases with time. These nerve disorders also result in the anger, depression, and restlessness & in many behavioral disorders which is common in our society.

3. Effect of low music on body:

It was also observed during this research that "music technicians most of the time are not in their senses". Although it has seen that most of the time they use low sounds of music. But it has been seen during the search since last year that "these low voice music directly effect on the receptors of the body & usually they effect on the Barr receptor, which are sensitive for pressure."

3. Development of Animal instinct:

It is also find out in these researches on music that "music develops animal instinct in human"

There are three basic animal instincts:

a. They don't wear cloths.

b. They eat food while standing.

c. They are busy in searching out of their partners for sexual gratification.

And we see that in our very social & civilized societies these three animal instincts are very common in those people which used to listening music very frequently.

4. Effect on Limbic system:

It was observed that while listening music limbic system which control the emotions first activate slightly. And this slight activation of limbic system creates pleasure. But it is also observed that constant listening of music activate limbic system more adversely & this result in the anger & depression.

5. Effect of music during driving:

In Jan 2000 Sosuns Click from America observed that "those drivers which listen music while driving respond after 0.12 second." In his research he took 10 to 18 years old girls; he gave them a road in which various sign boards are posted. On this track first he allow them to drive without music & then to drive with music. & a difference of 0.12 seconds was observed. & Sosuns states that "this difference is the difference of life & death"

It was also observed that while listening music drivers completely ignore the side traffic and it accidents happened.

6. Effect on fetus:

The adverse effects of music also occur on the fetus (unborn baby). & this effect is due to the sound waves of music.

7. Effect on Child:

The person who listen music in their childhood can't develop the study & language skills. & it has seen that these people confuse many sounds & slowly these effects results in deafness.

8. Effect on listening:

We measure music sounds in Pascal & a 120 Pascal voice is consider as "noise" & in the music concerts this voice exceed 120 Pascal. This at the end slowly leads to deafness.

9 Hypnotisms:

It has also been seen that the children are hypnotized by the music. And sometimes they suddenly start dancing while music played although they don't understand the songs.

I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but what is your point?

I mean ..look at what you wrote about drivers listening to music. The study was done on young girls from 10-18 and their reactionary time...how is that relavent? Many conclusions can be made just by those facts...

Please bring us more ...INFORMATIVE...studies next time..cuz that one really didn't get to the point!

:cool:

SAGAL   

Assalamu alaikum

Opinionated, is it that time of the month. Thanks for the advise but Next time say it in a nice way and Maybe I might listen to your advise. ;)

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum and wlc back Sagal.

Opinionated I was thinking that about the research,and what the significance of the reactionary time was.Plus, is it legal for a 10 year to drive :confused: But, on the whole I agree with the affects of music on the mind(read my old topic on Music!) and to top it off Allah has told us that music(not all) with certain musical instruments are idle talk from the shaytan. I think it proves that ayah in a way.And again I have come to find out that all music in Islam is not haraam.

Modesty,

Abaayo, I've been looking all over the place for an ayaat that states that...Do you know where I can find that specific verse?

Sagal,

I did not say it rudely..but I didn't sugar-coat it either..but the studies that were posted were not COMPLETE....in school, there is this course called critical thinking..and it teaches you how to sift thru articles that have crappy statistics..and this one sure had many of them!!!! Sorry hon, but I'm just using my judgement here...(read my disclaimer)

peace

Haashim   

Sagal, thanks for the article, i remember many years back i listened Sh. Abdirihiim Dhaxaan's lecture about the Songs and music and he told many similiar facts from our former Uluma's. So, our Uluma's realised this fact thousand year's ago without these technological instruments.

LuCkY   

SagaL thankz but i dont think that 10-18yr oLd girLs experiment was accurate.

10yr oLds arent as attentive or aware as 18yr oLds and they shouLdnt be driving either as they are not aLLowed.

My awareness is decreased when i am driving from time to time due to stress,hectic days i have, tired, when i am eating, taLking on the phone, reading and worrying about things so it isnt necessariLy true.

Opinionated i dont know whether this wiLL heLp or not but here it goes-however it is very Long:

LISTENING TO MUSIC AND SINGING

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said,

"They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun. In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allah (SWT) into monkeys and swine." (Ighathat Al-Lahfan)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listening to music and singing is a sin and cause for the sickening and weakening of the heart. The majority of the scholars of the Muslim ancestors who set good examples in the application of Islam are unanimous that listening to music and singing and using musical instruments, is Haram (prohibited).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVIDENCE THAT MUSIC AND SINGING ARE HARAM

1. Allah (SWT) says,

"And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment." (Luqman 31:6)

Al-Wahidi, along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Quran), said that "Idle Talk" in this Ayat is singing. This Tafsir was given by the following companions: ibn Abbas, ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah (RU). Ibn Masud (RA) said,

"By Allah (SWT), whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."

2. The Prophet (SAW) said,

"From among my nation, there will be people who will render as lawful adultery, wearing silk (for men), Al-Khamr (liquor) and Al-Maa’azif (musical instruments)." (Al-Bukhari)

This Hadith states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement among the scholars on this. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, ibn Al-Qayyim said,

"When the Prophet (SAW) said, ‘render as lawful,’ he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

3. Abu Hurairah (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said,

"A group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine."

They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allah (SWT) and that Muhammad (SAW) is His Messenger (SAW)?" He (SAW) said,

"Yes. And also they fast, pray and perform Hajj."

They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He (SAW) said,

"They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun. In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allah (SWT) into monkeys and swine." (Ighathat Al-Lahfan)

4. Allah (SWT) said, criticizing the Kuffar’s worship around the Ka’bah,

"Their prayer at the House (Ka’bah) was nothing but Muka’an and Tasdiyah" (8:35)

Ibn Abbas, ibn Uamr, Atiyyah, Mujahid, Ad-Dhahh’ak, Al-Hasan and Qatadah (RU) said that Muka’an means whistling, and that Tasdiyah means clapping of hands.

SAYINGS OF THE SCHOLARS REGARDING MUSIC AND SINGING

Imam ibn Taymiyyah said,

"Listening to music and sinful fun are among what strengthens the satanic ways the most. This is exactly what the disbelievers used to do. Allah (SWT) said,

‘And their prayer at the House (of Allah) was nothing but Muka’an and Tasdiyah" (Al-Anfal 8:35)

Ibn Abbass, ibn Umar and others (RU) said that Tasdiyah is clapping of hands, and that Muka’an is whistling. This was the Mushrikeen’s way of worship. The Prophet (SAW) and his companions worshipped Allah (SWT), according to His order, in their prayer, reading the Quran and Dhikr (supplication). It never occurred that the Prophet (SAW) and his companions gathered to listen to singing that is accompanied by clapping or using drums."

Imam ibn Taymiyyah also regarding the person whose habit is to listen to music,

"His state of emotions becomes less passionate when he hears the Quran. On the contrary, when he listens to instruments of the devil (music), he dances a lot. If the prayer is established, he either prays while sitting down or performs it as fast as when the rooster picks seeds. He dislikes listening to the Quran and does not find beauty in it while reciting it. He has no taste for the Quran and feels no love for it or pleasure when it is read. Rather, he finds pleasure if he listens to Mukaa’ or Tasdiyah. These are satanic pleasures and he is among those whom Allah (SWT) mentioned in the Ayat,

"And whosoever turns away from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allah), We appoint for him Satan to be a companion for him" (Az-Zukhruf 43:36)." (Awliyaa’ Ar-Rahman)

Imam ibn Al-Qayyim said,

"Of the tricks of the enemy of Allah (SWT), Satan, that he uses to trap those who do not enjoy much intelligence, knowledge of sincerity in religion, are Mukaa’ and Tasdiyah. These people of ignorance listen to and use musical instruments that are prohibited and which lead the hearts to abandoning the Quran. These hearts are indulging in sin and disobedience of Allah (SWT). Music, then, is Satan’s Quran and the barrier between on and Allah (SWT). It is the way to sodomy and adultery. With it, the lover finds what he seeks and dreams of sinful love. Satan has trapped the weak hearts in the love of singing and made it beautiful to them. Satan reveals to his agents fake proofs that they use as evidence to the beauty of singing. These people accept Satan’s revelation and, as a consequence, abandon the Quran. When you witness them while listening, you will find them silent in humbleness, sitting idle and their hearts are concentrating and totally enjoying music and singing. Their hearts will feel closer to music, as if they were drunk. They dance and move in suggestive manner, like faggots and whores. And why not? They are drunk with the pleasure of listening to music and singing and act accordingly. For other than Allah (SWT), and for Satan, there are hearts that are being broken by sin, and fortunes that are being spent for other than Allah’s (SWT) Pleasure. They spend their lives in joyful fun and make a mockery of their religion. Instruments of the devil are sweeter to their ears than the Quran. If one of them listens to the Quran from the beginning to end, it will have little effect or excitement on him. If Satan’s Quran is being performed and heard, they feel joy in their hearts and one can see it in their eyes. Their feet dance, their hands clap, their breathing intensifies and the rest of their bodies feel joy. O you who are trapped in this sin, you have sold your share of Allah (SWT) to Satan, what a losing deal! Why not feel pleasure and comfort when the Glorious Quran is recited? But, everyone seeks what he feels is suitable for him, and ends up with what is really suitable for him." (Ighathat Al-Lahfan)

Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Baz was asked about listening to music and songs, "Is it Haram?" I only listen to it for pleasure. What about playing the Rababah (a kind of guitar) and old songs?

Sheikh ibn Baz said,

"Listening to music is Haram and a sin. It is a matter that leads to weakening the hearts and abandoning the Dhikr of Allah (SWT) and the prayer. The scholars said about the Ayat, "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks…" (31:6), that idle talks means singing. Abdullah ibn Masud (RA), the Prophet’s (SAW) companion, used to swear by Allah (SWT) that it is singing. If singing is accompanied by the Rababah, ‘Ud (Arabic guitar), fiddles or drums, it is even more Haram. Any singing with any instrument is Haram and the scholars are unanimous on this. Therefore, Muslims must be aware of it. The Prophet (SAW) said,

"From among my nation there will be those who render as lawful adultery, silk (for men), Al-Khamr (alcohol) and musical instruments." (Al-Bukhari)

I advise you and others to read the Quran and keep remembering Allah (SWT). I advise you to listen to Quranic programs on the radio. This way, one will find pleasure and will keep busy so he can stay away from music and songs."

Many Muslims today render music as permissible. This is due to their lack of knowledge or outright defiance of the religion. We ask Allah (SWT) that we are among those who listen to the speech and follow the best of what it contains. These are the one whom Allah (SWT) has guided and granted them the bounty of sanity and comprehending minds. Ameen.

Modesty   

Opinionated I think if I'm not mistaken chapter 31:6 of the QuranO(surah Luqman). It talks about idle talk,and from what I have been taught it regards music, although some scholars differ if thats what its talking about. So Flying_Still-what I meant is that music that distracts one from Allah is haraam, along with some forbidden instruments,but according to this hadith:1.) Hadhrat Ayesha (R.A) has related : "Once Nabi (S.A.W) entered my home, whilst I had two girls reciting the "gina - buath@ (war song). He lay on the bed and then turned his face away. After a while my father [Hadhrat Abu Bakr (R.A) ] entered and scolded me, by saying : "A shaitaan's flute near the Nabi of Allaah (S.A.W)!

Rasulullaah (S.A.W) turned towards Hadhrat Abu Bakr (R.A) and said : "Leave them."

When he turned away , I then signalled to both the girls and they left. This was on the day of Eid. (Bukhari p. 1301 /1)

However, the young girls were singing a war song that was permissible and doesn't contain any indecent words.So Flying_Still, as long as it is aimed at Allah,and doesn't turn you from Allah, why not listen to it.But, I think its hard to find music without the flute or drum. :rolleyes:

I am not much believer in the Hadiith (because I don't know how authentic they are, no matter how many scholars tell me this), but I accept the verse you gave me from the Koran.

But what is Idle talk exactly? and you stated that Idle talk was interpreted in different ways....care to state what they all are?

All I am saying is ...each scholar has their own biases...some strongly believe that music altogether should be prohibited ..and others say..the opposite.

asalaamu alaykum,

Sagal, sis u think you can provide a link to the article? Like many ppl here I have my doubts about its authenticity, it seems everyone is qualified to conduct a "scientific" study.

With regards to music, I know that very, very many scholars both of the past and present hold the view that it's haraam (except with certain instruments) for one reason or another. However, there are also many scholars who hold the view that music is just a tool like anything else and can be used for good. I am personally not knowledgeable enough to form an opinion on the matter so I'll leave it at that.

I am not much believer in the Hadiith (because I don't know how authentic they are, no matter how many scholars tell me this), but I accept the verse you gave me from the Koran.

Oppinionated, the hadith is part of the message of Islam. You can not practice Islam without the hadiths. For example, the Quran tells u to make salaat, but it doesn't outline how so where do u learn to make salaat? From the authentic sunnah of our prophet (saw). The Quran tells u to pay zakaat but it doesn't tell u how, so u refer to the practices of the prophet (saw) which are contained in hadiths.

As for the weak/strong hadiths, the scholars of hadith have spend their whole lives tireless collecting and classifying hadiths. There's the famous story of Imaam Bukhari who traveled for months to collect 1 hadith from a man but when he got there he saw the man bribing his camel to come to him with what appeared to be food to the camel but Imaam Bukhari could see that the man had nothing in his hand. Imaam Bukhari turned away without getting the hadith from the man bc he deemed him untrustworthy. This is how dedicated the scholars were and we really can't appreciate their efforts fully until we study the science of hadith.

salaam