Treating Christmas with Respect

Katrina   

In the name of Allah, the most Merciful, the most Mercy-Giving

SoundVision.com Newsletter

Islamic Information and Products

Tuesday, December 13, 2005, Zul-Qadah 11, 1426 AH

http://www.soundvision.com

Assalamu Alaikum:

'Only 12 days till' Christmas!' the lights, the songs, and the commercials remind us, as Americans prepare to celebrate one of the

country's most important holidays. A growing number of Americans scoff at the consistent commercialization of what is essentially a

religious holiday. There are also those who argue that Christmas has little to do with Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him, and more to do with Santa Claus.

While devout Christians continue to voice these criticisms, Muslims need to step back a little. Regardless of how the holiday is celebrated, the bottom line is that it is the major holiday of our

neighbors. Islam stresses the duty of respecting the beliefs and traditions of others, especially the People of the Book, whose connection to Prophet Abraham links our three faith groups.

This week at Sound Vision, find out why it's important to treat Christmas with respect, whether you're in America or you're in a

Muslim majority country. And remember: respect is not agreement with the beliefs and ideas associated with something. It is simply

recognition of the God-given right of all to choose their faith and our responsibility to respect their choice.

While Hajjis are getting ready to leave for Makkah, Eid is also less than a month away falling most likely on January 9th and 10th.

Muslims in Chicago, Atlanta and Toronto are presenting theircommunities the chance to offer their Eid-ul-Adha sacrifice in January to the local poor. Find out more about our duty to those

living in poverty in America and abroad. Both programs can be found online at www.chicagomuslims.com and www.torontomuslims.com.

If you would like to start a similar program in your city, please email us at info@soundvision.com. Please put "Eid sacrifice" in the subject line of the email.

Peace

Abdul Malik Mujahid

CHRISTMAS

Treating Christmas with Respect

by Abdul Malik Mujahid

Christmas is an annual Christian religious holiday commemorating the birth of Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him. For many Muslims who even do not celebrate the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, it becomes an issue of what stand they should take.

There have been a number of legitimate criticisms of the holiday from Muslims and non-Muslims based on theological and cultural considerations. However, this cannot be used to disregard the holiday as merely an exercise in ancient pagan practices, for instance, or excessive consumerism. Muslims have to remember that for practicing Christians, Christmas really is about Jesus.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, was so accommodating of Christians that according to the two earliest Islamic historians, Ibn e Saad and Ibn Hisham, the Prophet even allowed a delegation of 60 Byzantine Christians from Najran in Yemen to worship in his own mosque in Madinah. Lead by their bishop (Usquf), they had come to discuss a number of issues with him. When time of their prayer came, they asked the Prophet's permission to perform this in the mosque. He answered, "conduct your service here in the mosque. It is a place consecrated to God."

God expects us to stay away from mocking the religious beliefs of others, no matter how much we disagree with them. He says in the Quran: "And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides God, lest they insult God wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair-seeming to each people its own doings; then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do" (Quran, 6:108).

We also have to remember that even if for many nominal Christians, the celebration is not really about participating in religious traditions, Christmas is a time for families to get together. In a number of cases it is the only time of year families get together, either because family members are scattered in different parts of the country or the world, because of communication and relationship problems, or because in America today, the family unit is becoming weaker and weaker.

Christmas is a great time to relate to our neighbors. We should not forget though, that "relating" does not mean "preaching". Dawa cannot be made in a rude manner. Allah says in the Quran: "Invite (all) to the Way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful advice, and reason with them by ways that are the best and most gracious: because your Lord knows best, (those) who have strayed from His Path, and those who receive guidance " (Quran, 16:125).

In particular, when dealing with Jews and Christians, Allah says: "Do not argue with the People of the Book unless it is in the politest manner, except for those of them who do wrong. Say: 'We believe in what has been sent down to us and what has been sent down to you. Our God and your God is [the same] One, and we are Muslims before Him'" (Quran, 29:46).

This may not be an occasion to emphasis the differences as much as the commonality of our beliefs, unless someone is really asking you about them.

A starting point for a discussion about Christmas could be the Islamic belief in all Books revealed by Allah and all Prophets sent by Him. In this discussion, special emphasis could be made on Prophet Jesus. Non-Muslims are often surprised to discover that Muslims also believe in this noble Prophet and his great mother Mary (peace be upon her).

Remember that respect does not mean compromise. This article is not asking you to compromise anything. You have freedom of religion given by God to believe in what you believe in. But in a world where conflict is increasing, a Muslim should be a bridge- builder and a peacemaker. It was due to the Muslim practice of Islamic ideals of respect and tolerance that the key of the holiest Christian Shrine in Jerusalem, the church of the Holy Sepulcher, remains entrusted with a Muslim family, as it has been for over 1400 years.

These are the lessons which need to be learned by those extremists who attack Christians during their worship in Nigeria and those extremists who burn Masjids in the USA.

There are also those who argue that Christmas has little to do with Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him, and more to do with Santa Claus.

It is true, "Christmas" has nothing to do with ahlul kitaab people. It has nothing to do with true Christianity. The true followers of Nasared religion [Christianity] know this, as attested by the followers such as Jehovah's Witnesses' faith.

Hadeeba gaaladii isku aqoonsanayn dhexdooda, maxaa Muslimka hawshooda ka dhigay? Is this how "moderate Muslim" is supposed to behave today? Respect it today, what next? Celebrate? Buy a "Christmas" tree?

Many "moderate Muslims" do this already, including a Soomaali jaamac in this city who not long ago bought for his family a "Christmas" tree and its whole six yard gift package because he wanted his children to be like just any other kid. (Gaaladii are even bickering about whether to call it a "holiday" tree to make it more "inclusive.")

I have no respect to a celebration whose questionable originality is pagan, which was recognized by true followers of the religion which it purports to celebrate. They have no reverence for it, neither should I.

Assalamu Alaikum,

There is no need to have any sort of "respect" towards this so called "holiday" of theirs. The correct word the author of these articles should have used is "tolerate" and/or "ignore"! Why respect something that associates partners with Allah (SWT)? Why have some sort of a respect towards falsehood? Would you respect a lie?

muunad   

personally i don't give a darn about chistmas *cant even spell it right. to me it's like hannika and ku'wanza and the day that buddists celebrate(i'm sure there is one).

in conclusion i don't care enough for it to stimulate any emtion out of me...mo way....i refuse.

in contrast i welcome eid with open arms and the joy of small child getting thier pockets filled ;)

Am at the store yesterday, and I had to give the nice lady my ID to make a purchase. So she sees my name (which is one of those very clearly Islamic names). And after she's done ringing me up, I say “Thank you, and have a marry Christmasâ€, to which she replies, “Good night and Marry Chris.... um I mean Happy Holidays to you tooâ€. I couldn't help laughing. Why is everyone wishing everyone else happy holiday when the only holiday anyone is celebrating is Christmas? Whats so politically incorrect about telling someone Marry Christmas?

MMA, *Proud_Muslimah*, and Mimi, your responses seem hostile to Christmas. Even if you don't agree with the holiday and believe people should not celebrate it, you can still be kind and virtuous to them by recognizing the importance Christmas has to those that celebrate it and showing good will towards them during these days.

ElPunto   

What an absolutely useless original post!!! Are there any Muslims going around protesting against Christmas or knocking down Christmas trees?? Is there destruction of Manger scenes by Muslims that I'm not aware of? By definition, because we're a minority, we tend to respect their holidays and observances. By stressing toleration and respect - the original poster is implying a lack thereof - which is quite frankly bullshit.

Personally speaking, I am hostile to the deification of Jesus and not to the hoopla and consumerism surrounding Christmas. If individuals Muslims wish to be hostile to those false beliefs fine but they shouldn't be agressive or violent about it.

Given the large number of immigrants - it's ****** to assume everyone celebrates Christmas and so to wish them Merry Christmas - personally I don't find that offensive as much as annoying and presumptious and I don't like it. I wish these individuals would open thier eyes.

S.O.S   

Personally speaking, I am hostile to the deification of Jesus and not to the hoopla and consumerism surrounding Christmas. If individuals Muslims wish to be hostile to those false beliefs fine but they shouldn't be agressive or violent about it.

Dear ThePoint,

How can you so hopelessly miss the point here? If we take the "deification of Jesus" and separate from the "hoopla and consumerism" then there's no Christmas! For Christmas to exist, both are part of one and the same equation: If you can miraculously divorce the variables from each other and keep the same outcome intact, then please demonstrate. Otherwise, no one here is advocating aggression and violence.

ElPunto   

How can you so hopelessly miss the point here? If we take the "deification of Jesus" and separate from the "hoopla and consumerism" then there's no Christmas! For Christmas to exist, both are part of one and the same equation: If you can miraculously divorce the variables from each other and keep the same outcome intact, then please demonstrate. Otherwise, no one here is advocating aggression and violence. [/QB]

I never said anyone is advocating agression or violence. I added that phrase to differentiate between hostility and agression/violence. Hoopla and consumerism is part of Valentine's Day/Mother's Day/Father's Day etc. It is not something unique to Christmas. I'm not You certainly can divorce deification of Jesus from hoopla and consumerism - I don't know about you but I've engaged in hoopla and consumerism at times, especially when I have cash in my pocket. All that said, what is YOUR point? What am I hopelessly missing?

S.O.S   

I don't know about you but I've engaged in hoopla and consumerism at times, especially when I have cash in my pocket.

Exactly my point, Thepoint ;)

Ones you divorce consumerism from “deitification of Jesus†then there’s no Christmas! Have I helped?

Salaams

Senora   

Originally posted by Haniif:

Am at the store yesterday, and I had to give the nice lady my ID to make a purchase. So she sees my name (which is one of those very clearly Islamic names). And after she's done ringing me up, I say “Thank you, and have a marry Christmasâ€, to which she replies, “Good night and Marry Chris.... um I mean Happy Holidays to you tooâ€. I couldn't help laughing. Why is everyone wishing everyone else happy holiday when the only holiday anyone is celebrating is Christmas?

Because it isnt the only holiday people are celebrating. I'm working in retail for the school break, and you wouldnt believe the hositlity I get from saying "Happy Holidays".Well, if you've been watching the news, and O'Reilly, then you might Though over 200 million celebrate Christmas in the US, there are millions celebrating Hannukah, Kwanzaa(well only a few nowadays), Bohdi Day(which is the Buddhist holiday Mini ;) ) ,etc. Its not offensive in the least. Just an acknowledgement of the other holidays being celebrated in December.

Castro   

Saying merry christmas is not an endorsement of the deity of Jesus. That line of thought is demented. And for a people who live in an ocean of christianity and wish to be aknowledged and respected for our holidays and celebrations, we're showing an immense amount of intolerance.

Baluug   

Bah humbug!!!There's my opinion of christmas. If they want to celebrate something which is clearly in error, that's up to them.That's my "respect" for them. Most kafirs feel the same way about us, so we're even. On the upside, there's all sorts of crap in the stores that I never knew existed. There are robot dogs!! A robot dog, think about that for a second....OK, now think, if you really want a dog, why not get a real one? Because real pets are too much responsibility. Lazy people in this world, I tell ya!