Sign in to follow this  
Mutakalim

Debating with Athiests aright

Nomads

I am curious as to the methods and arguments you employ and apply as you debate and/or argue with athiest and agnostics.

What arguments do you propound? How do you rebuke their false-claims?

Many individuals are athiests because their logic is faulty; thus, oftentimes as you show them the illness of their thoughts they are willing to concede.

TechBoy   

Why dont you tell them the story of Isaac Newton and his atheist freind :

Isaac Newton, had invited a scientist-friend of his, a man who professed atheism to dine with him. Seeking to corner his friend with his own arguments, Newton placed a model of the solar system on his table and invited his friend to view it. Upon examining it, Newton’s friend exclaimed, “what a marvellous craftsmanship!” Who fashioned this exquisite model?” Newton replied casually, “This model has no maker, it materialised from nothing.” Disbelief written large on his face, the friend asked, “What do you mean?” To this, Newton smiled and replied, “How can you my friend, insist that this model has to have a maker, while vehemently denying the existence of a divine Creator?”

Assalaam alaikum,

Here's a really easy one that, inshallah, will be just as effective for you as it was for me.

Last summer, I got into this spontaneous discussion about spirituality with some "reguler ole' Canadians." There were two guys that really shocked me when they said they didn't believe in God at all, they were just raised without spirituality or religion. One was very confrontational, and he demanded that I give him proof of the existence of God. I just shrugged my shoulders and replied, "give me proof that he does not exist? If you can't disprove something then you must accept the possibility of its existence, right?"

Alhamdullilah, he gave me a blank stare for a minute and stormed out of the room. Don't feel obliged to exhaust yourself when the person who initiates the debate does not bring forth any palpable arguments him/herself. One thing I do suggest though is not to instigate the debate. People with fragile beliefs will fight ferociously to maintain what they perceive to be some kind of high moral ground.