Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Henry frustrated?

Emotions high for Wenger's summit with Henry

Kevin McCarra at the Emirates Stadium

Monday December 4, 2006

The Guardian

The man who had been ruled out was the most eye-catching figure of all. Thierry Henry, sitting close to the action, was available for celebrations with Emmanuel Adebayor when the Togo striker opened the scoring and got on to the pitch for the festivities at full-time. If this was intended as a show of solidarity, it felt overblown.

Emotions are running high at the club. One could deduce that from the reticence of Arsène Wenger, with a manager who normally prides himself on the suaveness of his answers declining to discuss an "internal affair". Henry, for his part, could not really explain why a mere injury should have had him racing away from the training ground in a state of high emotion on Friday.

Wenger will hold a meeting soon to set out what he expects from his captain. "We have a very good relationship and I think we will have a good relationship in the future again," he said, refusing to deny that they are temporarily at loggerheads.

Henry has a sore neck and may well join the suspended Kolo Touré in missing Sunday's match at Chelsea but there are other aches throbbing away in mind and body. "We have to sit down with the medical staff and see where we go from here," said the manager. "Does he need a rest or not?"

Henry, the only person to have been on the losing side in the finals of both the Champions League and the World Cup this year, is disillusioned by the fact that Arsenal are also-rans once again in the Premiership. It is inevitable that he will wonder about his decision to stay in London when he had the chance to join Barcelona, Arsenal's conquerors in Paris last May.

It was somewhat predictable that reports should emerge that he may even be presented with that chance again. Barcelona, lacking the injured Samuel Eto'o and Lionel Messi, have found the going more difficult than usual in the Champions League and La Liga. The striker would be cup-tied for European competition if he made the mooted £30m move next month and, in any case, his present unease at Arsenal would not necessarily be enough to make him reverse the major decision he took so recently.

Arsenal count on their captain so much that his return of only one goal from his last seven appearances must be a factor in the stumbling progress of the club.

Wenger stated once again that he would not be buying anyone in the January transfer window. There is probably no money available to go shopping and leading players tend not to be available in mid-season. And Arsenal, after this win over their north London rivals, need not despair at proceeding with the existing staff.

An in-form Henry is so good that team-mates occasionally wither in the comparison. Without him Adebayor and Robin van Persie relished the opportunity to shine against Spurs. That was a relief for Wenger since Henry is suspended for Wednesday's Champions League game in Porto, when a draw will be necessary to make certain of a place in the last 16.

Adebayor speaks with gratitude of all that Henry has done for him since he came to Arsenal from Monaco in January. At the weekend Henry had been specific in his advice, cautioning Adebayor that, if he did get a chance, Paul Robinson was too good to make his job easier by going to ground prematurely.

The £7m purchase from Monaco stayed calm and finished precisely in the 20th minute. Adebayor had been ruled on-side in a very tight decision but the judgments of the referee, Graham Poll, were wrong when he awarded the two penalties that were expertly converted by Gilberto Silva, deputising for Henry, in the 42nd and 72nd minutes.

On the first occasion, Pascal Chimbonda had connected with the ball rather than Tomas Rosicky, who was later injured and will miss the match with Porto. In the build-up to the second penalty Van Persie handled before the substitute Jermaine Jenas fouled him.

"The referee missed a lot of things," said Chimbonda. Luckily for Poll, Martin Jol is no Jose Mourinho. The Spurs manager had no intention of marshalling his grievances when he was so conscious that opponents who had just lost two matches in a row had needed to give only a reasonable showing to dominate his team.

"Look at Kolo Touré and Johan Djourou," said Jol. "They were aggressive and we have to be the same. Arsenal controlled it but that was because we were standing too far off all the time. We're not as strong as last year, even though we've got more talent. We have to bond all that talent."

Adebayor proposed that Henry, like everyone else at the club, had merely been going through a "difficult moment". There is more to it than that but, by comparison with Spurs on Saturday, Arsenal's worries must be slight.

Man of the match Freddie Ljungberg (Arsenal)

Henry's unsettled year

May 2005

Tells Arsène Wenger to stop procrastinating and offer Dennis Bergkamp a new contract.

September 2005

Reported to be upset at failure to replace Patrick Vieira and halts contract negotiations.

May 2006

After months of stalling, signs new contract days after calling Barcelona's players "women" for diving in Champions League final.

November 2006

Frustrated that "depth of squad is nowhere near the others".

December 2006

Leaves training ground early on eve of Spurs game but denies bust-up.

This is the price that comes with prima donnas nowadays. Literally convincing themselves that the world and everyone else is subservient to their whims. That's why I've always been huge Drogba fan. Now, there is self-effacing jock one can be proud of.

Who's Henry again?

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

Thierry Henry is a world class player, arguably the greatest player ever to grace the Premier League and as always the media blew way out of proportion on this particular story and as a Gooner i was delighted to hear Arsene Wenger dismiss any rift between the two.

We all know he hasn't been his usual self lately because of fatigue and minor injuries that's why the Arsenal doctors decided it would be best for all to let him rest and recover completely then we will see Who's the king of scoring the most breath taking goals in the premier league..Drogba is just a pretender to his throne and we all know that.

Henry is entitled to have a say and express his opinion as the captain of the team and this is not the first time a captain did that..in fact Vieira did just that before him, Roy Keane used to do that and whos to say John Terry doesn't do that now?

I've read and heard many times that he hates not to play even when he's injured and every player would be disappointed when told he would miss the biggest game of the season but to say he and Wenger had a bust up is not short of RIDICULOUS.

The media had a field day and they are already linking him with a 30 Million move to Barca which made me laugh because he said in his own words "I'm a Gunner For Life" and that is a music to our ears.

Come On Gunners.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

^Sure can and more than do mere comparison, I give reasons.

-Drogba can post players, ie play his back to the goal unlike Henry (well, he can but is terrible it at).

-Drogba can head the ball, in this sense he's a true centre forward. Henry is more of a winger. Drogba can play in the box, get physical unlike Henry.

-Skills wise, the two are head-to-head although Henry got more spring in his step.

-But what seals the deal is Henry is chocker at the big stage where as Drogba produces the goods.

THERE, Drogba is better.

Urban   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

-But what seals the deal is Henry is chocker at the big stage where as Drogba produces the goods.

Drogba at the big stage? when?

what does big stage mean to you SB?

N.O.R.F   

Skills - Henry

Finishing - Henry

Speed - Henry

Strength - Drogba

Passing - Henry

Awareness - Henry

Simple SB.

ps didnt Drogba choke in the EUFA cup final a few years ago? He hasnt been on any other big stage and he missed a crucial penalty in the African Cup of Nations Final. I like the guy but he aint a comparison to Henry.

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

Didn't Drogba choke in the Africa Cup of Nations final by missing a sitter that even a Granny could've scored with her eyes closed?

Henry chokes at big matches? Do you remember the World Cup qualifier against Ireland in Dublin where they had to win to have a chance..Guess who scored the one and only goal? Remember world cup 2006? Remember against Juve last year? Remember the game against Inter in San Siro where he got a hat-trick? Remember Real Madrid in the Champs league? Remember the double against Chelsea? Remember THAT GOAL against Liverpool (he mezmarized their defence), against United (he flicked the ball and BAM....in the entire stadium only Hnery knew what he was doing! and against Spurs..where he got the ball in his own half and dribbled past four or five Spurs defenders and cooly slotted it home?

Every team in the world knows the threat Henry poses so they become extra cautious of him and mark him tightly and if i was a coach i would've done the same...Henry may have had few bad games where the opposition were hard and rough on him but so were all the great players but that doesn't mean he's a bad player..I give you a small example...Name one single good match the great Zidane had against Italian National team...from 98' World Cup to 2006 World Cup..Would it be fair to say Zidane chokes against Italians?

You remind me of a guy who in his own little world believes that Drogba is actually better than Eto'o...Come on.

True center forward? Could you define that? unless you mean the English commentators's term of center forward which is some one with no ball skills at all and only knows how to head the ball...ever heard a player named Peter Dawo from Gormahia FC? have you ever heard a player named Aruna Dindane from Ivory Coast who plays for Lens in the french league...He's far better striker than Drogba and he's the one Ivory Coast depend on come crunch time and not Drogba who misses too many chances but too bad Drogba gets all the credit simply because of his price tag and the team he plays for.

PS. Have you ever known many better strikers than Ronaldo and Romario (The second player in the history of the game to score 1000 goals) and both are known for their lack of heading ability.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Drogba SHINED and ALWAYS shines on the big stage. Big stage = Fifa Champions league, World Cup and big league comptetition games (like this weekend's Arsenal vs Chelsea game... I'm all psyched up, can't wait). Drogba singlehandedly took his coutry through AU and WC truimphs... lets not forget how indebted Marsielles were to him for their success while he was with them. But you're Kop fan, you'd hate him. Bet this is still fresh in your mind, heh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p7FOQLjgkY (Goal of the YEAR!!)

Amazing Drogba tribute (made by Marseille fans):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FSWeYqPvtM

Consider also who Jose "The Special One" Mourinho, who is argueably the finest footballing mind in the game today, CHOSE. He could've gotten Henry for paltry $50 million (Chelsea premium)if he wanted to. Instead, who saw something in Drogba. And given how Drogba proved himself since his signing, we can only look at the rear window and take a moment to admire the sagacity of the "Special One."

Henry chokes at big matches? Do you remember the World Cup qualifier against Ireland in Dublin where they had to win to have a chance..Guess who scored the one and only goal? Remember world cup 2006? Remember against Juve last year? Remember the game against Inter in San Siro where he got a hat-trick? Remember Real Madrid in the Champs league? Remember the double against Chelsea? Remember THAT GOAL against Liverpool (he mezmarized their defence), against United (he flicked the ball and BAM....in the entire stadium only Hnery knew what he was doing! and against Spurs..where he got the ball in his own half and dribbled past four or five Spurs defenders and cooly slotted it home?

Bob, you said it all. I think what SB means is maybe someone like Chris Sutton or Dion Dublin who can play CF and CB. Aruna is a great striker and I always thought he would make his way to the Prem by now instead he went to Lens, a version of Martins but better skilled.

SB, I think you should ask your own management team who they would prefer, as ofcourse Roman's first move as soon as he took over was to enquire about Henry and offered ludicrous amount of money for him. You're a no-brainer, get your silly facts right and don't come here expressing bullsh!t opinions, partner!

FIFA Champions League? shows how much you know about football.

N.O.R.F   

lol@FIFA Champions League

Bob says:

Remember THAT GOAL against Liverpool (he mezmarized their defence)

Why you gotta go there bro? I was bigin up your start striker and this is how you say thanks? :mad:

Some good goals there SB. The one against Liverpool was a fluke!

Henry, like any ambitious footballer, wanted to be part of the Revolution at Stamford Bridge but was at the end (after Mourinho arrival) turned down as he didn't fit the profile of the CF Chelsea were seeking. He simply didn't pack enough gear, eventually dropping out of the race. Then Drogba arrived at the scene and the rest -- as they say -- is history.

As a gooner you're woefully inept at passing an impartial opinion on Henry vs Drogba discussion. All you're capable of is whining. I have my theory. Methinks ardent gooners are all stricken with severe case of Wengeritis shown in acute laceration of the limbic system. Such is the severity of you envious bunch's ailment that rarely does one see a gooner genuinely happy or satisfied or paying others due credit where deserved. Take solace in this though, the Kops and Manures aren't far behind.

BOB   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Fifa Champions league,

:D:D:D:D:D:D ! What's next? Uefa Premier League or FA Hockey Cup?

PS. Northerner...Sorry Bro...i got carried away. Thousand Apologies. smile.gif

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.