Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Worldwide Somali Students

malika, your a teacher by profession right? why dont you give us your expert opinion. what is the best way to engage somali students to realise their potential.

i always use the 'job' vs 'career' analogy!

no critical thinking here!

Malika   

^ Am no expert nevertheless, what I have found to be effective approach has been through dialogue - What I practically do is set individual meetings with individual Somali pupil - go through their attainment level, target and their potential future careers. Mostly I found dont have this support at home, thus lacking the knowledge of what is available or what is possible to them. I tend to be quite harsh with my reality with them, some tend to dream - expectations and reality of ability not going hand in hand or just not having any aspirations. It is hard for some, as surrounded by very demotivated group of people. The UK has significant amount of unmotivated young people, there is no competitiveness in them. They are happy to just go through life, dreaming of being famous..lol.

My targeted group tend to be yr 9/10 by the time their in yr 11, we are working toward actually securing the required grades for their choosen path in higher education.

As I said, I dont know the answer for the general Somali students - but I believe those in position like myself, can and should do more to interact with young Somali students. Just so to offer, a shoulder to lean on, advice and mostly they want is someone to believe in them.