Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Sex Abuse, Blackmail Victim Speaks Out

Somalina   

Updated: Monday, 21 Mar 2011, 11:17 PM CDT

Published : Monday, 21 Mar 2011, 11:17 PM CDT

by Tom Lyden / FOX 9 News

A brave Somali sex abuse and blackmail victim is breaking her silence by speaking with FOX 9 News about her struggle in an attempt to save other women from sharing her experiences.

“My culture and my country -- (it’s a) very shameful thing,” she said.

The victim -- whose identity will remain concealed -- has shown herself to be a woman of enormous courage, and shared her painful story about a man she met, fell in love with and then fell victim to.

She told FOX 9 News reporter Tom Lyden that she met her attacker three months ago, but ended the relationship when he drugged and raped her.

“He raped me and then I called and asked him why he did that, and he said, ‘If you talk, I will show everyone your video tape,’” she recounted.

She said he also took pictures of her naked, and soon after, she discovered he was married with three children.

When she refused to continue the relationship, she said he began circulating pictures of her at a local Somali mall where she works. Before long, he would e-mail hundreds of copies for a price of $5.

“One night, he (brought) a friend over to my home and said, “If you don’t have sex with him, I will send your picture,’” she said.

Last week, it got so bad for the woman she tried to take her own life by drinking bleach.

“This is the worst shaming method. It’s a modern way to keep a woman in bondage,” said community activist Abdi Bihi.

According to Bihi, the same strategy is used by human traffickers, who blackmail young women with naked pictures to keep them in a life of prostitution.

Compounding the shame and violation of experiencing these acts, the woman said the ordeal has made her an outcast in the Somali community, leaving the 25-year-old victim a prisoner in her own home.

“Even when you are married, you’re not supposed to see the naked body of your wife,” explained Bihi.

Still, she said is sharing her painful story because she doesn’t want it to happen to any other women.

“He said, ‘Are you ready to marry me?’” she recalled. “(I said,) 'No. I hate you. … You kill me.'”

Blessed   

^Waar bax oo is daldal. Sicko!!!

Faarax are saqajaamiin, wallahi. If our community ostracised men as they do women, edeb way yeelan lahaayeen.

Bashiir   

Ayaan daro odayaashii wax garadka ahaa ayaa dhamaad ah, gaal seyn leh ayaa loo dacwaanaya ama wadankiisa lagu burqanayaa.

Waa aakhiro Zemane ,,....Dumarow is Ilaasha...

bilan   

I hope she will reveal his name so his wife and relatives can find out as well. She did nothing wrong, it can happen to anyone.

Jacpher   

Acuudka!

I heard sheekadaan naxdinta leh from dad soo arkay one of the pictures ee labaatan iyo afarka lagu dhajiyey. Ibtilo waaye. Moooryaankaan saan u galay inanta deserves in la lock up gareeyo balse waxaa la sheegayaa he said she said oo kale. Why I don't see any mention of police in the story.

bilan   

maxaa he said she said ah Jacphar, who else put the pictures in the Mall, i am sure not her. he can deny inuu daroogeeyey, but i do not see who else can have access to these pictures??

Jacpher   

^Waa warka baladka, anigu ma oran. Xaqiiqada Allaa inaga og baayo balse saan horey u iri midkaan waxaa habooneyd in miig loo xiro hal saac dhoraxda la dhigo.