Sign in to follow this  
LixAfar iyo Nus

ISLAM the solution to the Somali Crises?

My dear brothers and sisters the topic I want to share with you is a topic that has been greatly debated. Having to experience the Somali crises, it brings me great sadness and sorrow. You would ask yourself, what is the solution? What is the problem? It has been about 14 years since there was any proper infrastructure in Somalia. What is wrong? How can we improve the dilemma that has caused us pain and suffering? What does Somalia need to be a peaceful country again? What stigma or element should be left out in the process of reconstruction? Individually, what can you contribute? OR are you thinking about yourself and planning to live in North America, Europe or Australia forever. Additionally, do you really think that you have nothing to do with the issues of Somalia? Maybe you think you are Canadian, American or belong to the nationality of the country you have been living in for the past 10-20 years.

With no doubt, Somalia will need Leaders, professionals, innovators, thinkers, scholars, engineer, teachers...etc. It will also need Individuals who are sincere in there field of work and are not affected by the same tribulations that caused the civil war for the past 14 years. Is ISLAM the only solution for the Somali crises? What system do we implement? Is democracy the solution? What do you think?

‘The Future belongs to those who prepare for it today’ Malcolm X

'Waxaad heybad ku leedahay Dhulkaaga Hooyo'

'Your mother country is where your honour lies'

LuCkY   

LixAfar...great topic!

You have asked very good questions which need good answers.

I have often asked myseLf what i can do to heLp my beLoved country but it seems BIG maybe TOO big for just one person to make a difference.But then i remember that saying...One person can make a BIG difference.

Is ISLAM the only solution for the Somali crises? What system do we implement? Is democracy the solution? What do you think?

It COuLd Be or NOt.I dont know much about poLitics or how it operates so...

BUT...

ONe step wouLd be through EDUCATION.We dont want to repeat history aLL over again.We need to Understand that TribaLism and Ish is not the way to go and that NEEDS to start at HOME.We have to impLement ISLAM into our DAILY Lives.We Have to STOP the HATred and JUDGEMENTS against our OWN peopLE or eLse we wont get anywhere as a country.

One MUST be wiLLing to put Pride and Ish aside and Work together as a TEAM as PEOPLE as a COUNTRY as ONE!

Am I making any Sense?

I dont know if that heLps but there it goes.

Lucky... you are making more sense than the politician’s sister and through Education and working together as 'ONE' has been your great points. Thank you

"Without education, you're not going anywhere in this world." Malcolm X

P.S: You don't have to be a politician to contribute to the construction of your society or your country. All you have to be is an intelligent human being.

pearl   

islam has always been the solution to any crises...but question is who wants to take the road less traveled?

do i see a show of hands?

i dont think it would do us any good to say who is/was wrong, and who is to blame...that would just set us back to square one.....leave the past in the past...

How can we improve the dilemma that has caused us pain and suffering? What does Somalia need to be a peaceful country again? What stigma or element should be left out in the process of reconstruction? Individually, what can you contribute?

now that is some questions to ponder over...

personally i think we should first start with ourselves and move down the road...possibly move back home ....any good cause will do...such as teaching,parenting the orphans,contributing ur money to build hospitals, etc etc....whats better than putting to good use the skills u have learned here with ur own ppl back home...

Qac Qaac   

beautiful topic man. well i guess u all said what need to be done, especially lucky.

but lix afar u asked a questions to ponder on, u said, is it islam the solution or democracy.

well to me personally i think it is ISLAM, not only for us, but every muslim country. if i may recall i think the Old government of Somalia, and our country used to be called THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICAN OF SOMALIA in arabic al jamhuriytu al dimuqaraadiya assomaliyy.

so that didn't work, because we were one of the 3rd world countries in the world, i think we are in new category now the 4th world, coz third world countries atleast have government, we don't, but that is different topic. so inconclusion the only way for us is ISLAM. and nothing else. GOD BLESS.

TIIMBARO   

It’s good to be ambitious but you must also face the obstacles. The trouble is how do you go about solving the problems of Somalia with Islam? How do you start this process? It is well known Somalis are not religious people. One thing they’re first and foremost is, they’re qabilist. Some people with hidden political agenda play the Islamic card, and when we hear this empty rhetoric we get all excited. The Ulema in Somalia are not even in agreement with themselves, and when you know this is the case, what the hell do you do? All I am saying is don’t discuss something you know is not going to work. Peace and stability in Somalia can be achieved but not by power hungry Criminals who created the problem in the first place, and DEFINATELY not by "wadaado" who can't even agree among themselves.

Maahir   

Salaam all

Some of you guyz made good points there but i want to say something on the issue of installing islamic laws and culture in Somalia.

Can the Islamic religion be a solution to the prolonged and on going problems of our Country??

Well, as pearl mentioned Islam is and will always be a solution to any problems that humans will face in this world..Evidence of this go back and read the Islamic history, When our prophet PBUH was sent with this religion..how was the situation of the Arabs at the time...and what happened in a very short of time when they took it properly as they were supposed to do....Simply they lived in a happy life and more so conquared the world.

OK ofcoz yes, Islam a Solution and as a matter of fact can be the only solution for the Somali crisis, but the Q is how? this is what we need to understand?

Well we cant say that there is a problem because we lack islamic government, or if this kind of government is to be installed this crisis will go, NO thats not true.

The reality is we as indivituals have to realise this and have to have the resposibility of following this religion and its orders.

If and when the Somali society will do this then I believe there will more hope for our future back home and a lot more things can be changed.

God Help my country/peaple

Megan   

This topic is an issue that is not mostly discussed by majority of the somalis and to be honest no one has a solution for the problem but everybody should be able to work together. Anyway coming to my point, solving somalia's issues can only come through education, wordly education as well as islamic education. This shouldn't only start in the country but ppl outside the country need to learn to educate themselves instead of only finishing high school and working hourly jobs. This can only be achieved with doctorate and phd levels of education. We dont need only doctors and engineers, we need artists, musicians, politicians (ones who are not leadership-hungry). Somalis need to educate themselves in all kinds of level. When it comes to Islamic education, we need to go to the Quran and not only depend on what the religious scholars say. They are also human beings, they could make mistakes. Only the Quran is the correct and everlasting document of our religion.

I think somalia's problems could only be solved through education. When ppl get out of their ignorance, they will not be biased anymore. They will get to see beyond their world. They will get to realize that the other clans are humans such as them. Therefore, I think that is what we need and prayer to God to get us through this. That is a great topic by the way. We need to post things like this. Keep it up!

Originally posted by LixAfar:

Maybe you think you are Canadian, American or belong to the nationality of the country you have been living in for the past 10-20 years.

It is unfortunate what happened to Somalia. But I wasn't involved in the politics of it all that lead to the destruction of the country, nor do I really concern myself with how it is going to be rebuilt. I don't concern myself with tribalism and politics, which is what this is really all about. You can rebuild the nation, but you need to resolve and deal with the problems between the clans before you can even UNITE. How can Somalia move forward, if the people don't all have ONE goal? personally, I do not think it will happen in my life time.

As for Islam being the only solution, I do not think so. Just look at the other so-called muslim countries...Are they really that stable? (Besides the ones that are rich off oil-money). You can have Islamic shari'ah placed in Somalia, but there will always be CORRUPT leaders.

bilan   

Originally posted by Opinionated:

[As for Islam being the only solution, I do not think so. Just look at the other so-called muslim countries...Are they really that stable? (Besides the ones that are rich off oil-money). You can have Islamic shari'ah placed in Somalia, but there will always be CORRUPT leaders. [/QB]

good topic, and yes islam is the only solution all these countries opinionated they do not follow the shari'ah nor their system is based on it either, they follow systems that they invented. corrupted leaders are everywhere from east to west, islam has rules for everything, so if someone is proven to be corrupted they will be punished.

Qac Qaac   

because of them not following the teaching of Islam that they became corrupted.

ISLAM IS THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR THE WORLD, NOT ONLY IN SOMALIA?..... education, and the other notions come under islam.

I agree with the bro who said, if we want a islamic government, we first should built islamic government with in ourslef, then with in our family,community,tribe,country, countinet and so on... then everything would fall in place.

TIIMBARO   

Muslim intellectuals have struggled for an answer as to how to govern a modern state. It has been a source of division for Muslims around the world. The problem is there is not elaborate framework with which to organize a government. That’s why we have been vulnerable to leaders who have used Islam to legitimize a corrupt and oppressive governments. As a result of this uncertainty many ‘Muslim’ countries now a days prescribe to some form of secularized ideology.

BiLaaL   

LixAfar thanks for raising this important topic. As the rest of my brothers and sisters have rightly pointed out, the solution does lie in implementing the golden principles of Islam, which is the source of civilisation as we know it. The laws that govern the west today are laws directly derived from Islam, for mankind in incapable of inventing laws for himself, man-made laws lead only to choas and destruction. For example, in International law, Islamic treatises anticipated the work of Grotius by eight centuries.

Its great to see that we all agree on this point, and that we haven't been brainwashed into believing that such antagonistic systems, such as democracy and capitalism are solutions to our problems, as many have been. For indeed neither of these are compatible with the religion of Allah nor of the Somali way of life.

We are all saddened with the way our country is being mishandled, but it is upto us to do something about that. Using the wisdom that Allah has endowed us through our beautiful religion, along with our natural somali flair, we can make a change. We didn't become one of the first African countries to achieve their independence from European colonisation by sitting back and hoping, but we took the necessary steps to achieve our dreams of independence. Indeed soon after gaining independence Somali was hailed as 'the Great Africa Hope' by different commentators, saying that Somalia is in a great position to lead Africa post-colonialism. This was due to our collective struggle, the care we afforded each other, our eagerness to educate the massess, the abundance of our resources and many other factors.

I kind of made this long, but i'll finish on this point. Like many of you, i live in a western country and have done so for the last ten years since coming here as a youngster. One thing we have to realise is that, if Somalia is to change, it is the Somalis that reside in the west that need to take on the responsibility of bringing about that change.

We cannot expect the Somalis back home to take any active involvement in politics, the reason being that, they are more concerned about putting the next meal on the table for their families, and rightly so. They have the extra package of clan loyalties, which in many cases is what puts that same food on the table. The somalis living abroad do not suffer from either of these misfortunes.

This is one of the reasons why the warlords who continue to rape our motherland off its dignity, do not fear the somali massess back home as much as they fear those abroad. Those abroad have both the resources and the opportunity to exert some pressure and bring about the change which will benefit both themselves and their brother and sisters back home. The question therefore, is not whether we can do something, but whether we are willing to put our clan loyalties aside and unite for the sake of our collective futures, using the religion of Allah as our guiding star, for it is free from hypocrisy and misconceptions.

UNDOUBTEDLY, Islam is the THE solution. However, speaking realistically on the current socio-political status of the Somali peninsula, an Islamic state is improbable.

On the point of DEMOCRACY -

I suppose it depends on what one considers 'democracy.' If we take the fundamentals of democracy and implement them in Somalia, we'd find that such a system has been in place for a long time. Somali clans have managed to incorporate democractic means in settling disputes, regulating commerce, providing for well-being and security of members, etc. So that type of Somali-ized democracy might function but that remains to be seen.

HOWEVER, there's one thing for CERTAIN: democracy based on WESTERN models DOES NOT work in Somalia or any other African nation for that matter.

Blessed   

Originally posted by pearl:

islam has always been the solution to any crises...but question is who wants to take the road less traveled?

do i see a show of hands?

i dont think it would do us any good to say who is/was wrong, and who is to blame...that would just set us back to square one.....leave the past in the past...

How can we improve the dilemma that has caused us pain and suffering? What does Somalia need to be a peaceful country again? What stigma or element should be left out in the process of reconstruction? Individually, what can you contribute?

now that is some questions to ponder over...

personally i think we should first start with ourselves and move down the road...possibly move back home ....any good cause will do...such as teaching,parenting the orphans,contributing ur money to build hospitals, etc etc....whats better than putting to good use the skills u have learned here with ur own ppl back home...

Thank you dearest.. waad ii hadashey. Islam is most certainly our only solution. If we take the example of the Prophet (saw) - not only did he manage to unit a feudal, tribal society with the help of Allah's deen - He (saw) created the most just Social system on earth.

The problem with our people is that they left the Shari'ay of Allah- and our dilema is a direct manifestation of our disobedience to Allah. 'Allah will not change the condition of people, untill they change themselves' so as long as we fight for, work for and strive for - hebel iyo hebel kale - our affairs will remain the same.

Not only have Somalis messed up their dunya - they have also gambled their aakhira - and for what? to live the life of a refugee.

I think learning our deen, practising it in all it's forms will change society as a whole- because it is individuals that make up a society...!!

Opnionated,

What if the Corrupted leaders were replaced by Islamic leaders - and by that I mean ppl who truely follow the Quraan and Sunnah?