Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

We must re-invent ourselves as a people!

Chimera;706578 wrote:
Positive
, Somalis were re-inventing themselves in the pre-war era, but bad economic policies combined with a war returned everything to zero. If we take the examples of other previously dis-united groups like the Japanese, the Italians and the Germans, all of them progressed mentally and socially when their march towards unity ushered in vast economical transformations across their territories in the form of a
Industrialization
campaign.

The average Somali man & woman in the prewar era were Africa's biggest nationalists, Pan-Somalism was the most intense movement wishing to change Africa both politically and geographically. Not even Pan-Africanism led by great men such as Nkrumah(who supported Pan-Somalism) came as close to realising their goals the way Somalis were just an edge away from achieving their dreams. These Somali men and women distanced themselves from their petty clans the way a century earlier the Bavarians, Prussians and Saxonians distanced themselves from their petty kingdoms and returned to the international arena as
Germans

We shouldn't ignore this important historical episode, for these were Somali men and women who volunteered to become soldiers and sacrificed so much for a noble ideal that transcends "clan & tribal values". They entered battlefields fighting heavily equipped armies including superpowers to free those oppressed.

There is no doubt in my mind had the Dervish come out victorious in the 1900s, or had the Bevin Plan been realised in the 1940s, or had the Soviet Union not intervened in the 77' war we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. In the first scenario we would enjoy the same status as the newly founded Turkish Republic. In the second scenario there wouldn't be a reason for us to fight wars, and all spending would be directed to societal programmes and infrastructure. In the third scenario the undisputed victory of the Somali Armed Forces would propel any living Somali into a state of euphoria and solidify the forward looking progress that was made so far.

Therefore Somalis
are willing
to change if there is a real reward. This is where my earlier point in the first paragraph [of this post] comes into play:
Industrialization.
Somalia's work-force is estimated at 3.7 million, this is based on decades old information. I reckon it's more around the 6 million mark by now, with a population of 11/12 million( many of them self-employed in the form of vendors, shops and groceries). Somali entrepreneurs have the monetary capacity to establish in the next 10 years; 2000 small-medium-large factories & businesses in Somalia( with any person from the Somali Civilizational Network being elligable for the job-opportunities, though Somali Urbanites would profit the most from these investments). Let's disintergrate this a little bit:

- If each of the first 1000 Factories & businesses employed roughly 250 people = 250 000 jobs

- Another 500 Factories & Businesses employing 150 people each = 75 000 jobs

- Another 400 Factories & Businesses employing 200 medium skilled people people each = 80 000 jobs

- Another 75 Factories and Businesses employing 400 highly skilled people each = 30 000 jobs

- The remaining 20 factories and businesses would be large companies similar to Hormuud & Dahabshiil that employ atleast 4000 skilled people each = 100 000 jobs.

- The remaining 5 factories & businesses would belong to Somali conglemerates that each employ around 100k people = 500 000 jobs

TOTAL
= 1,035,000 new jobs in the Live-stock & farming sector, Telecommunication sector, Energy & resources sector, Transport sector and many others.

Such a revitalization of Somalia's economy tapping into the immense potential that can be found in the agriculture, service sector & manufacturing industry, would automatically have a positive domino effect on the transport industry(Ports, air-traffic and truck-driving). With families being able to spend more; the domestic markets would grow immensely too, and it would not be far-fetched to say that in such a scenario atleast 40-50 000 jobs are created annually, which is an extremely healthy rate for an African country.

Somalis have another potential ace up their sleeve and that is
Tourism
. In Morocco, tourism employs around 700000 people. What do the Morrocans have that we don't?

-
Epic historic cities
? = CHECK!
Icon-Small-Check-Mark.gif

2gweuxg.jpg

10odugj.jpg

(two examples)

-
Paradisicial beaches and bays
? = CHECK!

134727089_29169c2d96.jpg

Garacad

matt,%20scotty,%20chris%20%26%20matt%200

Berbera

-
Mysterious sand dunes & other romantic landscapes
? = CHECK!

3409566123_80a421b9bc.jpg

Shalambood

28v6jcj.jpg

Calmadow

Unlike Moroccans and other Tourist powerhouses we have the potential to draw in more visitors in the form of Safaris by rebuilding the destroyed habitats of our Animal Kingdom, and breeding healthy numbers of elephants, lions, zebras etc to prewar levels. I estimate that from tourism alone we have the potential to generate $8 billion a year( that is more than what Sudan makes from Oil, and oh yeah we have Oil too:cool:).

With such a robust economy, the infrastructural landscape of Somalia would change into a modern sophisticated network of roads, highways and possibly railways. The fruits of industrialization; people become more mobile, they see more of the country and the world. They become more cosmopolitan in mind, and begin to understand that there is more to the world than their own little tuulo. The economic fortunes generated in turn gives birth to a MIDDLE-CLASS in our society.

The most stable and equal countries in the world are those with a strong middle-class that defend the average person's rights from the upperclass(elite). In Somalia there was always only the working-class and the Elite(government), with nothing in between. I believe this was one of the reasons why everything turned out the way it did.

There is however a bright light illuminating itself through the ashes of war, and that is an increasingly self-reliant Somali society with multiple companies and centers of commerce, a bottom-up approach that strengthens the average person, family and society in general. If this could be combined with long term stability and perfect economical reforms, by the end of this decade the average Somali family would be atleast 15 times more wealthier, secure and content in their lives than today.

Which should be the goal of every living Somali man & woman. 

What a beautiful mind you have, I stumbled upon it in google search and now feel alot better about Somalia's future possibilities.

Chimera;706578 wrote:
Positive
, Somalis were re-inventing themselves in the pre-war era, but bad economic policies combined with a war returned everything to zero. If we take the examples of other previously dis-united groups like the Japanese, the Italians and the Germans, all of them progressed mentally and socially when their march towards unity ushered in vast economical transformations across their territories in the form of a
Industrialization
campaign.

The average Somali man & woman in the prewar era were Africa's biggest nationalists, Pan-Somalism was the most intense movement wishing to change Africa both politically and geographically. Not even Pan-Africanism led by great men such as Nkrumah(who supported Pan-Somalism) came as close to realising their goals the way Somalis were just an edge away from achieving their dreams. These Somali men and women distanced themselves from their petty clans the way a century earlier the Bavarians, Prussians and Saxonians distanced themselves from their petty kingdoms and returned to the international arena as
Germans

We shouldn't ignore this important historical episode, for these were Somali men and women who volunteered to become soldiers and sacrificed so much for a noble ideal that transcends "clan & tribal values". They entered battlefields fighting heavily equipped armies including superpowers to free those oppressed.

There is no doubt in my mind had the Dervish come out victorious in the 1900s, or had the Bevin Plan been realised in the 1940s, or had the Soviet Union not intervened in the 77' war we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. In the first scenario we would enjoy the same status as the newly founded Turkish Republic. In the second scenario there wouldn't be a reason for us to fight wars, and all spending would be directed to societal programmes and infrastructure. In the third scenario the undisputed victory of the Somali Armed Forces would propel any living Somali into a state of euphoria and solidify the forward looking progress that was made so far.

Therefore Somalis
are willing
to change if there is a real reward. This is where my earlier point in the first paragraph [of this post] comes into play:
Industrialization.
Somalia's work-force is estimated at 3.7 million, this is based on decades old information. I reckon it's more around the 6 million mark by now, with a population of 11/12 million( many of them self-employed in the form of vendors, shops and groceries). Somali entrepreneurs have the monetary capacity to establish in the next 10 years; 2000 small-medium-large factories & businesses in Somalia( with any person from the Somali Civilizational Network being elligable for the job-opportunities, though Somali Urbanites would profit the most from these investments). Let's disintergrate this a little bit:

- If each of the first 1000 Factories & businesses employed roughly 250 people = 250 000 jobs

- Another 500 Factories & Businesses employing 150 people each = 75 000 jobs

- Another 400 Factories & Businesses employing 200 medium skilled people people each = 80 000 jobs

- Another 75 Factories and Businesses employing 400 highly skilled people each = 30 000 jobs

- The remaining 20 factories and businesses would be large companies similar to Hormuud & Dahabshiil that employ atleast 4000 skilled people each = 100 000 jobs.

- The remaining 5 factories & businesses would belong to Somali conglemerates that each employ around 100k people = 500 000 jobs

TOTAL
= 1,035,000 new jobs in the Live-stock & farming sector, Telecommunication sector, Energy & resources sector, Transport sector and many others.

Such a revitalization of Somalia's economy tapping into the immense potential that can be found in the agriculture, service sector & manufacturing industry, would automatically have a positive domino effect on the transport industry(Ports, air-traffic and truck-driving). With families being able to spend more; the domestic markets would grow immensely too, and it would not be far-fetched to say that in such a scenario atleast 40-50 000 jobs are created annually, which is an extremely healthy rate for an African country.

Somalis have another potential ace up their sleeve and that is
Tourism
. In Morocco, tourism employs around 700000 people. What do the Morrocans have that we don't?

-
Epic historic cities
? = CHECK!

2gweuxg.jpg

10odugj.jpg

(two examples)

-
Paradisicial beaches and bays
? = CHECK!

134727089_29169c2d96.jpg

Garacad

matt,%20scotty,%20chris%20%26%20matt%200

Berbera

-
Mysterious sand dunes & other romantic landscapes
? = CHECK!

3409566123_80a421b9bc.jpg

Shalambood

28v6jcj.jpg

Calmadow

Unlike Moroccans and other Tourist powerhouses we have the potential to draw in more visitors in the form of Safaris by rebuilding the destroyed habitats of our Animal Kingdom, and breeding healthy numbers of elephants, lions, zebras etc to prewar levels. I estimate that from tourism alone we have the potential to generate $8 billion a year( that is more than what Sudan makes from Oil, and oh yeah we have Oil too:cool:).

With such a robust economy, the infrastructural landscape of Somalia would change into a modern sophisticated network of roads, highways and possibly railways. The fruits of industrialization; people become more mobile, they see more of the country and the world. They become more cosmopolitan in mind, and begin to understand that there is more to the world than their own little tuulo. The economic fortunes generated in turn gives birth to a MIDDLE-CLASS in our society.

The most stable and equal countries in the world are those with a strong middle-class that defend the average person's rights from the upperclass(elite). In Somalia there was always only the working-class and the Elite(government), with nothing in between. I believe this was one of the reasons why everything turned out the way it did.

There is however a bright light illuminating itself through the ashes of war, and that is an increasingly self-reliant Somali society with multiple companies and centers of commerce, a bottom-up approach that strengthens the average person, family and society in general. If this could be combined with long term stability and perfect economical reforms, by the end of this decade the average Somali family would be atleast 15 times more wealthier, secure and content in their lives than today.

Which should be the goal of every living Somali man & woman. 

I'm trying to reply, why can't I reply?

Brother Daa'uud you have great imagination and undying optimism. You have every reason to dream of a more united, more progressive , and more stronger Somalia, and believe me it will come. The writings are on the wall. We have experienced one of the greatest tragedy any nation ever faced. And we are to come out of it with a triumphant note

I said this before and I repeat it now; we Somalis have proved that we are indeed a resilient people who withstood a phenomenon unimaginable before, and survived. we've been stateless for more than twenty years and we are still standing. The scars of that experience is visible, the wounds are fresh and painful. But we remain undefeated, still crawling to reach that greatness station as a united people. When our center fell, many wrote obituaries to mark our passage, others schemed to take our national treasuries while countless others stole our maritime resources, and devised modern tools to contain our anger and frustration. But we Somalis are blessed people, always reinventing and surviving. Testimonies to our resilience and creativity can be found in the heart of Africa, Middle East, Asia , Europe and North America. Somali refugees, and immigrants are actively competing in all spheres of life. They are trading in S Africa, building factories in Kenya and Uganda. In North America, they are producing fine doctors and engineers, lawyers and economists. In Asia, the freight industry carry Somali businessman's products to various destinations. The services government would normally carry out are executed by active Diaspora. They dig wells, provide banking services, establish communications and construction companies and create media outlets to propagate messages and broadcast their story.

In other words, with all the national calamities we faced, we have good reason to expect a triumphant ending. We are more experienced, well versed with the ways of the world, more educated, have more wealth and potential to create even more. We have a country with more than 2000 miles of coast , two great rivers, fertile land that can produce surplus and history and religion that no one has been able to take it from us. And no one will take them now from us no matter how weak or divided we are, we will rise again and over come.

Believe me, clan system is dying, and it has no future in Somalia. Everywhere I look I see good and great things. Wars and famines are reality but so are other success stories Somalis are making everyday.

Somalia shall come back again

Chimera   

Xiin, big brother, our hopes of a better Somalia where our children, sisters, daughters and elderly can live in peace and tranquility with each passing day, each passing month, and each passing year seems more like a fairytale dream than reality. A foreign mega-structure has been imposed on us, in which we aren't deciding our own destiny compared to the indigineous mega-structure that was the Somali Republic which we owned and led. In this current position, any sign of an indigineous mega-structure rising is obliterated at birth, we saw this with the Arta conference, we saw it with the Islamic Courts, and we saw it again with Farmaajo, a shattered Somalia is preferred over a strong and capable Somalia.

Yes, our people are resilient, but how much more can they take before they finally break? While I'm very much aware of the psychological warfare Western think-tanks are waging on the country that is Somalia, there is some truth to their sensationalist articles. Everytime something positive happens, a much more negative situation unfolds. The only little hope that I have comes from meeting several Somali guys and girls from Mogadishu, Beledweyn and Hargeisa, all of them born post 1991, yet they were similar to me in attitude and mentality, same interests and dreams. I imagined them to be severely scarred internally or ignorant but instead I found them level-headed, non-qabilists and quite knowledgable.

I sincerly pray the majority of our people are like that, otherwise I don't think they can handle another five years of conflict, and all the signs point to that exactly, with vultures such as Sharif Hassan and the foreign mega-structure in place benefitting from a chaotic Somalia.

Carafaat   

inspirational post. thank you Chimera. Someone once said that dreams are the touchstones of our character. I think you must have an fascinating character there.

Carafaat   

Amazing, indeed we need to visualise a better future and a better vision of what we can become, if we want our people to talk steps forward.

Mario B   

burahadeer;706912 wrote:
Chimera..bro..you'r simply great.We will make it & is not far off,but there is a lot to be done;education is paramount & we have to be consistant in
wiping out that filth(qabil)

Lol, and they say "Americans" don't do irony, the proof is in this comment.:o

Maarodi   

Chimera, I'm with you brother! InshaAllah let's hope for the best and work towards a better future, after all the ayah says,

"Verily, God does not change men's condition unless they change their inner selves; "

Just curious, have you seen these videos