Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Please Don't use these words, I hate it!

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum W.W.B

Lately I've noticed some people in this forum(no names ) using words like:

1. Moslem

2.Mosque

3.Koran

What! I just hate the way these sound, it just takes the beauty of the sound and dissolves it.Also some of these words were used in a deragatory sense to belittle muslims. For example, the word "Mosque" came from the Spaniards who used to say lets swat these muslims like a mosquito, and supposedly the word in spanish(mosquito) was shortened to 'mosque' to describe the masjid. Futhermore, the word 'Moslem' is still used today in some history books, because the Europeans called muslims "Muhammadan". The use was frowned upon because the word sounds as if we worship the prophet Muhammad(saw), but we don't unlike the Christians who worship Jesus or Isa(ra). So the "Mu" was changed to "Mo" to show the tie to the word "Muhammadanism". The Koran should be Quran, thats what the Quran says, get it!

So please, I advice all of the nomads to refrain from using those terms.

P.S. If I said anything bad or offensive it is from Satan. But anything good I said is from Allah.

Mosque, moslem and Koran...are english words for their arabic counterparts.

Just like Joseph is the english translation to Yusuf....Personally, I use either..because I am neither arabic nor english..na'mean.

Modesty   

Arabic is the language of the Quran(not Koran) Opininated, and do you think we should read the whole quran in English now? :confused:

Modesty,

If it helps you understand the content of what you are reading, then hell yes you should read the koran in english!

Arabic is the language of the Koran, but I am not arabic...and the english word for masjid is Mosque...just like the english word for kursi is chair, ok? :rolleyes:

Modesty   

Opionated Yes of course you should understand the context of the Quran. The Quran is in classical Arabic, and its easy for anyone to read it in its original form. Anyways, the Quran is read in Arabic, but you can of course read the context in English. But, when you pray do would you read it in English? No, thats not how the Prophet and the sahaba did it. Nor should we use to describe our plays of worship, and us other than the way the prophet,and the Quran says. But, doesn't it bother you when someone misprounces your name, thats how it feels to me when somepeople use those terms, we should correct those individuals with all due respect.

Masalaama

No one is talking about prayer here. We are talking about using arabic words.

Personally, I think we forget alot of people are NOT arabic when we use all these arabic terminology.

Precisely Opinionated...as you said

Mosque, moslem and Koran...are english words for their arabic counterparts.

Modest if it was Arabic or classical Arabic that we were using here then perhaps you would have a point there but then the problem here is you are using english and you would rather have us write classic Arabic. Now that doesnt make sense..

Modesty   

Percisely NOT both of you!

Yes why not talk about Prayer, it clearly stated the authencity of my point.

Secondly,no I'm not suggesting we should write arabic. Masjid, Quran, and Muslim are duplications of the actual sound that they're pronounced in Arabic. The Quran doesn't say MOOOOOOOOOslem, MOOOOOOsque, or Kooooran. These words aren't just Arabic terminologies,they're from the Quran, and you don't have to speak Arabic to pronounce them in the correct way. We don't need to alter the pronounciations of the actual terms just because the English say so, we must discourage them from using these terms.

Modesty,

Are you saying that the Koran is written in english? Because if that was the case, you would have a valid argument...

Is there a sin in translating a word to english? Or are you just totally against the english language?

Modesty   

Opinionated I think we're not comprehending eachother precisely. I'm not trying to make an argument at all, because I don't really see anything to argue about. What I'm trying to say is that the terminology of the quran should be left unaltered. I'm not against the translation of the quran into any language. But, certain words for example like the term Muslim(thats the phonetical sound of the word from the quran into english) means "person who surrenders to Allah", now if the word is corrupted to sound like Moslem its loses its natural meaning.

And if I was making an argument, I would say I have a problem with the phonetical translation of these terms into English because the meaning becomes corrupted.

Rahima   

It seems the point been made by Modesty has been misunderstood.

She is not against the English translation for this is not a translation. There is no need for us to use the wordings of the kuffaar when we have the Islamic way. In the Qur’an Allah has called us Muslims (not Moslems) so what is better than that? This is basic terminology of the religion; it is not something as simple as kursi. Furthermore, just take a look at the history of the word Mosque, why would anyone want to add on to this propaganda :confused: . I have to admit, at times I fall victim to this but we need to at least realize that it is inappropriate for maybe then we might change our ways.

This is just like the way the gaalo distort some Muslims names to the point of almost no recognition, yet on the other hand we are forced to learn their names properly. Double standards.

I say we be proud of identity and have them learn our terminology and ways. And honestly, is Muslim any harder to say than Moslem? smile.gif

I think not!

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Modesty:

we must discourage them from using these terms.

I agree.

One does not have to be an Arab to be able to speak arabic!

As Muslims, it's recommended (not a must) for us to learn the arabic language in order to be able to understand the Qur'an in its originality, as no other language can convey its message exactly as the laguage in which it was revealed.