Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Blogging from Islii

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;730530 wrote:
Ma Soomaali badan ayaa degan? Uma maleeyi, perhaps in the old days.

Nice, and yes… at least since I could remember. Mind you I haven’t gone back since I was eleven lol<O:p</O:p

But some of the original Somali families lived there (including mine)… it was a nice mixture of ‘high-saddity’ a$$ Indians & even some cadaan folks (one or two). I still vividly remember that place, but I’ve been hearing it has changed drastically. They’ve built huge apartment complexes around it, so yea who knows… would appreciate it tho if you did snap a few pictures or two. There are sooo many sections in kariakor, I am sure if I told you the section I grew up in you’d be confused so no mas :cool:

Awright, sister.

Today's blog: Meeting accidentally a SOLer.

At Soomaali independence celebrations at Soomaali embassy in Nayroobi, wonder of all, I accidentally met a SOLer. His name, of course, is Sophist.

Yep, that Sophist. Last time we met was some eight years ago in London. Anigaa gartay, though markaa istaajiye asagiina isla markiiba wuu i gartay. I wasn't expecting him inuu i garto.

Qofkii Sophist yaqaano ayaa yaqaanee, it was great meeting him with his friend Jangeli, the former foreign minister.

Today's pictorial blog:

b4gjk0.jpg

Yaa guess gareyn karo meeshaan? Waa makiinadii cajiinka Suuqa Bakaaraha oo Islii loo soo raray.

2mpdk0p.jpg

Islii's only supermarket, Galmart

2j3pogj.jpg

The original Waayaha Cusub studio. Waa meeshee ka bilaabeen. No, you can't find the group in this tiny studio now.

Nina Fox   

What irks me the most about Smellians is that we make everyplace our own instead of concentrating on our land we are busy building and investing in foreign lands urghh.

Macruuf,,,,,,,,,,I enjoyed your travels. Never been to Eastleigh but I felt like inaa dhiiqadaas kula taaganahay lol Thanx.

nuune   

Somalicentric;734398 wrote:
Ahem* so where are they?

Wey isku qabteen, I mean labadii Waayaha Cusub xukumey, so gurigooda aa laga helaa camal, see waaye.

nuune;734430 wrote:
Wey isku qabteen, I mean labadii Waayaha Cusub xukumey, so gurigooda aa laga helaa camal, see waaye.

Where is their guri? (Trying to see how far i can go with this line of questioning)<O:p</O:p

Oz   

Nina Fox;734425 wrote:
What irks me the most about Smellians is that we make everyplace our own instead of concentrating on our land we are busy building and investing in foreign lands urghh.

Macruuf,,,,,,,,,,I enjoyed your travels. Never been to Eastleigh but I felt like inaa dhiiqadaas kula taaganahay lol Thanx.

What does it tell you?

Ps: MMA, looks like you've settled there by the looks. Might come end of the year...inshallah

Today's blog: Bankiyada iyo Islii

Islii by far has more banks per square kilometre than any other land in Kenya. In my rough last count, there are no less than fourteen multinational and national banks within a few blocks from one another in Islii.

Banking here is very lucrative. Soomaalis being Muslimiin, they open non-interest accruing banking accounts, both saving and chequing that are charged $5 for Kenyan shilling account or $10 for U. S. dollar account per month. Lacagtee dhigtaana waa laga sii isticmaalaa and they get nothing in back. Even in Canada, the banking account charges are nothing near that.

Aad ayaa loogu faa'ideystay Soomaalida iyo lacagtooda. That is why even that famed British Barclays bank just opened another new, sparkling branch in the heart of Islii, just across from the 6th St. masaajid.

Today's blog: Soon in Islii

First Soon aan ku soomo in Afrika since 1996. In fact, it was during Soonka aan ka tago Nayroobi in that year. It really feels wonderful meel Soomaalida aad ugu badantahay ku soontid, waa iska Xamar meeshaan, very much like a post-war Xamar.

One downside of Soonka -- albeit being a bit minor and that which I forgot it would happen-- waa candhuufta dadka tufaayaan. Meel Soomaali ku badantahay oo wada sooman maxaa ka sugee. Candhuuf xaaqo miiran meelba ku tufaayaan, una darantahay markee ku tufaan on the pavements. Caadi ayeeba la tahay, darn. It is my major beef of Soonka in here. Otherwise it is wonderful to be in an environment where you can really feel soonkaaga maadaama dadkaaga Soomaaliyeed wada sooman ku dhex jirtid.