Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Stars, reputations and questions of integrity

NGONGE   

In Somalia society and many others around the world reputation is an important part of life. Alas, with Somalis, to have a reputation would invariably mean that you are someone who has been up to no good. A good man/woman, who hardly harms anyone, pays his dues and benefits his whole society would usually be referred to as “maskiin”! On the other hand, a troublemaker, a loud and brash person or one that always crosses the lines of decency and good behaviour is positively referred to as a “fariid”, “xariif” or “ahahaha..waa nin waalan” but would never suffer from his bad reputation (in the eyes of society).

It of course can be argued that in such cases the good traits of the individual outweigh his bad ones. For example, in SOL, our esteemed brother Xiin disapproves of the very popular (and populist) A&T’s “bedroom stories”. It is obvious that he holds that nomad in high regard and feels let down by stories that, in the normal course of things, he would never read and would consider their writer as someone with very low morals. Yet, he does not. He actually views the man as an equal and their mutual respect is clear to all. But how can respect and disapproval sit happily side by side in such a way? Of course, it would not be fair if I did not mention A&T’s side of the coin and how he views Xiin as a pious and conscientious brother who, though quite articulate, is a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to Somali politics or poetry. Yet, none of this seems to tarnish the amount of respect he has for the man.

Another is our Qardho fanatic. Many people would love to break into his home (or office) and remove the letter Q from his keyboard (not to mention disabling his google searching abilities) but, at the same time, most also admire him for his other qualities (which I’m struggling to recall at this moment in time).

It is not an exact science and there seems to be a lot of give-and-take involved in the gaining or losing of a good reputation. In fact, and as dear Aaliyah would say as she wipes yet another tear from her eyes “nobody is perfect”! What you win on the roundabouts, you lose on the slides. That’s the way the cookie crumbles and, of course, habar fadhida lagdin la fudud.

This is where I come into the story. Having looked at the site and the green reputation boxes under each nomads name, it seems that I am the nearest thing to perfection this site has ever seen. The exact words are “A splendid one to behold” and I, whilst being fully aware of the story of the goat that sucked its own milk, gladly agree with this description of myself. In fact, my own dear mother had often repeated that phrase whenever she used to tell me about the blessed occasion of my birth.

This is how I looked at things throughout my stay in this place. However, lately, someone has been dropping doubting words in my ears and attempting to besmirch my good reputation. They (for I believe they are legion) believe that the stars beside my name are an attempt (presumably by some hidden powers) to soften me up and get me to sell out the land of my birth. Now before I get deeper into this narrative and start displaying my undying patriotism, let me inform you all that I am and have always been a born opportunist. But I see no worthy opportunity here to compel me to “sell out”. A few stars by my name are not enough; I said it before and will say it again, ONLY the ambassadorship of Peru will do.

So, my fellow Somalilanders (less the doubting one) and others, do you think I am being softened up here or is this reputation deserved. And, why am I the only with nine stars beside my name? Also, why does Ayub have four stars when everybody knows that I’m infinitely more interesting than him (surely the difference between us is more than five stars).

I was going to go on but then noticed the time. I need to go home now.

AYOUB   

NGONGE;689194 wrote:
In
Somalia
society and many others around the world reputation is an important part of life.

Second word, I rest my case. Af wax cunay...

For what you've done, you deserve 15 stars more than anyone Mr Clan is Everything but I Wont Pay Qadhaan!!

Malika   

Now why would you be listening to some whisper of doubt, when you fully know - your respected and valued because of your valuable contribution, one being entertaining the likes of me.:D Honestly Ngonge, if you just wanted "us" to confirm how much your valued hence you having the most green stars dee maa iska tiraadi - folks its about time am doing a self evaluation - igu soo tuuraa what you all think of me..Lol

You have gain respect because your wise, witty, intelligent and funny.

ps. huh?? am still trying to understand how given those green stripe is being bribed to ' soften you up to get you to be a sell out?

NGONGE   

^^ I was not "fishing" for anything. Honest! :) But the whisperers believe there is some coat-turning afoot. I had to bring it into the open dee. Plus, all those stars do look a tad suspecious.

Ayoub, the "a" at the end was an extra typo and you know it, xaasid-afarta-xidig-leh yaho. :D

Malika   

Lool - Okay Ayoub , I will sit back and observe , when the pot finally overspill...Lool.

Paranoid baad noqooteen, again that is a Somali trait - not used to positive, wax kasta negative baa loo qataa..heh

Ngonge, now you have convinced yourself that your that important to the 'SL' cause? ..lool, am not laughing at you friend, but am admiring your sense of self. :P

AYOUB   

^ Good girl. Only those very close to Mr Clan is Everything can save him today...:D:D They know him best;);)

The funny thing in NGONGE's defence is claiming he has not sold out...yet.

Waar reer Buro maye ninkii waala haya! The goat pot is finally cracking under pressure!

NGONGE   

^^ Save me? Oh how dramatic of you, afar-xidig-leh! :D

Malika, it is because of that (what you said about Somalis) that I'm starting to get paranoid. But not as paranoid as some four star people. :D

Malika   

Ayoub - girl aa? That sounds like when black men were called "boy" no matter what age they were..:P

Ngonge - :D:D

AYOUB   

^ That was a compliment, young lady.:P

NGONGE;689340 wrote:
^^ Save me? Oh how dramatic of you, afar-xidig-leh!
:D

Yes you. Sell out you that's who..Hang on, you not trying to dismiss the posse from Burco as insignificant are you? Who else can save you, donkey riders from Qardho?

NGONGE;689340 wrote:

Malika, it is because of that (what you said about Somalis) that I'm starting to get paranoid. But not as paranoid as some four star people.
:D

:D:D:D The dirty murky 15star pot and the 4star kettle.

AYOUB   

Like Malika nicely put it; you just wanted "us" to confirm how much your valued.

Only 3 groups of people can judge what your "value" is;

1. The Burco masses who know you inside out.

2. The people who you sold out to, because they know how much (plus SOL stars) they paid your so-called integrity.

3 The hired gunman waiting out there for you.:P

I think only your Burco folks' word can be trusted, so lets wait shall we?

NGONGE   

^^ There are only two Burco people on this site these days (Ibti and the Guru are missing in action). The two that still come will both turn against me rather than be 'with' me. Marka, lets just hope number 2 works out. :D

AYOUB   

^ Insecure, are we?:)

PS The Guru is still trying to log in to the new SOL, your new friends are still "trying" to help him.;);) Ibti is also having issues...