_50870665_wodaabe_ann_624.jpg

1- Tall and athletic: Ostrich plumes and pompoms emphasise height

2- Narrow face: Decorated with red ochre

3- Wide eyes: Black eyeliner made from charred egret bones

4 - Facial symmetry: Enhanced with black, yellow and white patterns

5 - Aquiline nose: White clay arrow stripe to look more streamlined

6 - Long braids and cowrie shells: Symbolise fertility and wealth

8 - White and regular teeth: Bared and emphasised with black lipstick

9 - Good dancer: Beaded necklaces and bodices jangle against chest in time to the beat

And the prize? Each judge chooses her champion and may take him as her lover - even if both already have partners - and the winners are celebrated for years to come. Nor is the potential for match-making limited to judges and winners.

Djao dressed to impress, but didn't win. He and Tembe stayed together

"You dance Gerewol to try to win a lover, even if it means stealing someone's wife," says contestant Djao, who met second wife Tembe at a previous Gerewol. "You can marry her, or have a fling with her."

She, too, is on the look-out. "I've spotted three men here that I like."

No stigma is attached to setting aside one's marriage vows at Gerewol whether temporarily or permanently, says Human Planet director Tuppence Stone.

"The initial marriages in Wodaabe culture are arranged when the bride and groom are very young, so Gerewol is the chance for a love match," she says. This is not a polygamous culture - marrying a new partner means leaving the old.

Hmmm...men have been doing that for ages though, leaving their old partner for a new exciting one. The whole "lets-judge-looks" contest is demeaning to both women and men. But at least in this godless culture, there is equality.

Cara.   

"The initial marriages in Wodaabe culture are arranged when the bride and groom are very young, so Gerewol is the chance for a love match," she says. This is not a polygamous culture - marrying a new partner means leaving the old."

Seems sensible enough.

Chocolate and Honey;688958 wrote:
Hmmm...men have been doing that for ages though, leaving their old partner for a new exciting one. The whole "lets-judge-looks" contest is demeaning to both women and men. But at least in this godless culture, there is equality.

Gender narcissism - raggii bey naaggeyeen!

Cara.;689077 wrote:

"The initial marriages in Wodaabe culture are arranged when the bride and groom are very young, so Gerewol is the chance for a love match," she says. This is not a polygamous culture - marrying a new partner means leaving the old."

Seems sensible enough.
in your world - i take it:

promiscuity = seems sensible enough

polygamous marriage = insensible/nonsensical???

Cara.   

You know nothing about my world Sayid. But in fact, I find do it humorous that a man can sleep with 4 different women in the same week and not be considered to be promiscuous in YOUR world, but if a woman leaves one man for another, and does this only once in her life, than she's promiscuous. Self-interest much?

Sayid*Somal;689815 wrote:
Gender narcissism - raggii bey naaggeyeen!

What are you talking about ya Sayid? The men want to be judged; dont you see how much effort they've put into their looks? Pretty!! And whats wrong with women judging men by their looks? Men do it all the time!

I do it all the time; in fact, I stared at the Try Song picture below for far too long, thinking PRETTY! LOL!

Cara.;690903 wrote:
You know nothing about my world Sayid. But in fact, I find do it humorous that a man can sleep with 4 different women in the same week and not be considered to be promiscuous in YOUR world, but if a woman leaves one man for another, and does this only once in her life, than she's promiscuous. Self-interest much?

LOL@ self-interest much? - yeah probably - till i read the fine print :D

Of course i don 't know anything about your world - except what you post here online - hence why I asked a question - but you are welcome to let me into your world :D

As for what you find humorous - i presume you are referring to the polygamous marriages as prescribed in Islam - since you reference the number 4 (the maximum allowed in Islam at any one time) - preceded by the crude suggestions that it is merely done for sleeping arrangement of the hanky panky kind - instead of the considerate, compassionate, regulated and more importantly with its various benefits to society - as was intended by the One who laid it down as an option provided that those that exercised it as an option met the conditions attached to it. That can never be considered to be or any where near being promiscuous in ANYWHERE in the whole wide world let alone in my little world.

Perhaps you misunderstand what promiscuity is, - let just it is far from polygamous marriage - especially one like the Islamic one with rules, regulations, limits and conditions.

in comparison this 'Gerewolf' dance reeks of promiscuity - i take it - you missed the following lines??

"You dance Gerewol to try to win a lover, even if it
means stealing someone's wife
," says contestant Djao, who met second wife Tembe at a previous Gerewol. "
You can marry her, or have a fling with her.
"

She, too, is on the look-out. "
I've spotted three men here that I like
."

No stigma is attached to setting aside one's marriage vows at Gerewol whether temporarily or permanently
, says Human Planet director Tuppence Stone.

p.s. definition of promiscuity:

1. indulging in casual and indiscriminate sexual relationships

2. indiscriminate in selection

3. casual or heedless

P.s.s - but i get - waxaagu waa:

"Sayid: It doesn't suit women to be promiscuous.

Cara: It doesn't suit men for women to be promiscuous"

:D :D