Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Fantastic art!

Cool fantasy/concept artwork in this thread. From the world of sci-fi, I really like Syd Mead's concept artwork for the film Blade Runner. Also Tron: Legacy, though a weak film, has some seriously cool concept art (and SFX).

In the world of painting, pretty much anything by Wassily Kandinsky, Helene Schjerfbeck, Lars Lerin, Jose Parla and Ilya Repin is fantastic to me.

Urban   

Great thread Chimera, I wanted to start a similar one for ages.

5, I can't believe you know Syd Mead! The man is a legend and has inspired most of my art heroes today. Daniel Simon (published an amazing book called Cosmic Motors, and designed the Tron mobile) Ryan Church (Star Wars concept artist amongst other things), Neville Page (one of the creature designers for Avatar) and Craig Mullins. James Paick is a fantastic environment artist, Sparth and Daniel Dociu are a couple of the leading video game concept artists.

Chimera if you like fantasy art you shold check this website, fantasygallery.net

39.jpg

29.jpg

05.jpg

041210_daniel_dociu_5.jpg

Urban;690454 wrote:

5, I can't believe you know Syd Mead! The man is a legend and has inspired most of my art heroes today. Daniel Simon (published an amazing book called Cosmic Motors, and designed the Tron mobile) Ryan Church (Star Wars concept artist amongst other things), Neville Page (one of the creature designers for Avatar) and Craig Mullins. James Paick is a fantastic environment artist, Sparth and Daniel Dociu are a couple of the leading video game concept artists.

My excuse is magazines. What's yours? :)

Chimera   

This Somali brother is taking the Art world by storm:

workofartabdiwinner_story.jpg

Although Abdi Farah had a fairly consistent season on Work of Art, fellow contestant Miles Mendenhall seemed to have it in the bag. I’ll admit that my predictions yesterday were far off: In the end, Miles had the weakest collection, and Peregrine and Abdi were the last two standing. It was the latter’s personal, multifaceted art that most impressed the judges, particularly guest judge David LaChapelle: Abdi won the title of “The Next Great Artist.” This morning I had the pleasure of speaking with Abdi about his Work of Art experience, what he learned from his fellow contestants, and whether his bromance with Miles lives on.

TV.com: First of all, congratulations on the win. It must be so nice to be able to talk about it now.

Abdi Farah: Thank you so much. I know, it is a bit of a relief, but I have fun with that, so it’s all good. It’s kind of fun having people not know.

How would you say your art changed over the course of being on the show?

It changed so much. I feel like the judges and the competition in and of itself really spurred me to dig deeper than I had ever gone before in my art. I feel like I was making art that I liked on one level, but it really wasn’t as intense, it really wasn’t as artist, it really wasn’t as good as I had the potential to make art. So I think the judges saw that in me and really forced me to confront that about myself.

It seemed like you bonded a lot with your fellow contestants. Do you think that you all influenced each other throughout your journey?

Oh, yeah. I feel like that that was one of the most amazing parts of this competition. As an artist, in your normal life, you’re kind of just in your own studio, doing your own thing. You kind of do the same thing all the time. Whereas when you’re surrounded by other artists, who work in completely different ways, you can’t help but learn so much just seeing how they go about challenging themselves, how they solve problems, how they do this technique, and do that. It just completely opens up your world.

I think you were also the only contestant who didn’t have any beef with anyone else. Are you really just a nice, friendly guy, or was that clever editing?

[laughs] I was actually pretty fond of everyone in the competition. I don’t know. I wasn’t forced to be in any bad situations, and I kind of like to just see things in the big picture and it’s kind of hard when there’s one room with 14 people trying to survive. I just know that no one has any control over my art except for me, so at the end of the day, it’s us making art together.

Were there any contestants who you were particularly impressed by, week after week?

Sure, sure. I was super impressed by Miles’ work, of course. Week in and week out, I learned something new from that kid that I have implemented into my work. And I was really impressed as well with Nicole Nadeau, and the fact that she just has this freeness and this fearlessness about how she attacks art. She just completely goes for it and makes really beautiful, cool things. I was also really impressed with Peregrine’s work. It’s funny that Peregrine and Miles were in the finale, because I was impressed with their work throughout. And I think Peregrine just has this way of doing exactly what she wants to do without caring about how art school it looks or how professional it looks or how finished it looks. She does exactly what she wants, and in the end, it has this really honest, really pure, really beautiful quality to it that I was really impressed with. She’s a really gutsy, gutsy artist.

So are you keeping in touch with your former contestants? Because I would love to see a spin-off with you and Miles and Nicole, possibly fighting crime.

[laughs] Me and Miles do stay in touch, and we’ve been thinking about so many ways we could collaborate and just do this cool, like, “Ebony and Ivory” thing for real, and just take over. I don’t know. I’m a huge fan of his work and it would be really good to put our heads together. It would be really fun.

I bring up the superhero thing because so much of your work does seem influenced by pop iconography. You have drawn yourself as a superhero. Classic question: If you could pick one power, what would it be?

Wow, that’s a hard one. I go back and forth between this year by year. I feel like you can’t beat flying. That’s just ridiculously cool. I don’t know, other than that, I wish I could make amazing art every time I step into the studio, or I wish—the ability to shrink would be really cool, because then I wouldn’t have to be afraid of anyone, ever, which would be great.

Looking back on the season as a whole, are there any specific pieces that you were completely satisfied by, that turned out exactly the way you wanted them to?

Sure, sure. There were a couple. It was funny. I feel like this competition made me do some work that I had never thought I would do, like the piece in the second challenge, [“Tube”], I had no idea how that was going to turn out, I was just going. And in the end, I really loved the finished product. And then in Episode 9, the nature challenge, I had just reached this really kind of zen moment in my art, and in the end, that piece [“Baptism”] was just so fun to make and is probably the best thing I’ve ever done.

A lot of people were down on Work of Art from the beginning, saying a reality show could never pick the next great artist, that a construct like this couldn’t produce great art. And I think you and your fellow competitors really proved them wrong.

Thank you. Wow. I think people should be so impressed by what we were able to do on this competition. Like, I’m so proud to be a part of this.

Have you faced any of those critics yourself?

I mean, I really don’t care about critics at all, except what I can learn from them that can help me in my art. There are always going to be people that don’t believe in something, which is good. It keeps you humble, it keeps you realizing that there’s always work to do. But in the end, my life is not determined by what someone else thinks about me. And in the end, that’s what I love about art. At the end of the day, if you make good art, no one can ever say anything against you. They’ve just gotta enjoy. It doesn’t help for me to walk around and tell people I’m the next great artist. It’s only gonna help if I have really great work. - SOURCE

intruder_alert_home.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CA

Chimera   

Cute:

alternative.jpg

Alternative Reality

Life is full of choices! Having stepped into a mysterious mirror portal, her reflection is caught between two worlds and she must decide to which reality she belongs. Should she enter the hurly- burly of Victorian London street life that feels so familiar to her, and yet so distant? Or perhaps the eerie neglected buildings are all that remain of a palace where once she was a princess. The indecision is yours! - Josephine Wall

Complete   

Sweet thread! I love how art is being appreciated here. Kudos!

Chimera, those are radical, trippy, mind bending chalk art especially the second to last. That there is what I call talent.

The arts I'm into are primarily photography, videograpy, architecture and sculptors but I say I do appreciate other art.

One of my favorite architects is William Pereira. Here is my favorite master piece of his:

Geisel Library

geisel-building-1.jpg

tumblr_li9967Nu011qbj1sio1_500.jpg

Liban Yusuf, fellow Somali has captured many of my favorite photographs. Marvel your eyes on some of his work as follows iA:

99370-d7907db2f60db38429445b3a9451c0be.j

You cannot imagine how tough it is to capture a perfect blue hour especially near the water.

4474815.jpg

Beautiful panoramic image.

Here is a time lapse of his visit to Paris:

I find this technique to be really tough and time consuming but fun. Keep in mind, these are all still images taken over a period of time that were stitched together.

Visit his site at www.libanyusuf.com

Chimera   

Great contributions Vans, you're a very interesting new member! It's a pity guys like Liban Yusuf can't visit any of Somalia's epic landscapes and historic cities and make the same type of amazing panoramic images.

One day, Insha-allah!

Complete   

Why thank you Chimera.

I'll pass that on to Liban inshAllah. Visit Somalia and give us a taste of our own motherland ban ku dhaha.