Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Al Shabaab: Somali women can't work

Somalina   

upi.gif

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

KISMAYO, Somalia (UPI) -- Al-Shabaab, the Somali insurgent group with ties to al-Qaida, banned women Tuesday from holding jobs in Kismayo, a woman affected by the order said.

Shabelle Media Network said the woman, who did not want her name used, got in touch to report jobs had been closed to women, including working at the port, in cafeterias and selling khat in the market. She said some women in the town went to the al-Shabaab judge and asked him, apparently without success, to make the rules less restrictive.

Many Somali families are dependent on women's earnings given the longtime political and economic chaos in the country.

Kismayo, a seaport near the mouth of the Jubba River, is Somalia's third-largest city with a population of about 70,000 people.

Source: UPI

Blessed   

Honetly, how true are these stories? Anigu uma malaynayo inay dumarka Somaalieed this sort of nonsense ka qaadanayaan cidna...

Blessed   

Axmed-InaJaad;687542 wrote:
waa sax according to the diin.

naago should stay at home and not work.

Diintaa xageed kala timi? Jeebkaaga?

Naagoha ma adaa biilinaya markaa?

Somalina   

Kan waqti ha isaga lumin, me thinks waa Cowke oo Kebabi supporter ah. lol

-------

Somali women say Islamists becoming more draconian

By Sahra Abdi

Saturday, January 15, 2011

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Women living in areas controlled by Somalia's Islamists say they are increasingly the target of more draconian rules meted out by the rebels bent on enforcing their ideologies.

In the latest decree by the al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab group that governs most of southern Somalia, women in the seaside town of Kismayu have been banned from carrying out barter trade with the male crews of ships calling at the port.

The women have also been told they cannot shake any male's hands in public, travel on their own, sell anything or work in an office.

"A woman cannot be seen with a man from another country at the port. The punishment for any woman caught near the port or foreign vessels will be arrest," a senior al Shabaab commander said in a statement this week.

The al Shabaab group -- which means "the youth" in Arabic -- have in the past banned movies, musical ringtones, dancing at wedding ceremonies and watching soccer.

Many Kismayu women, mostly widowed or divorced, have survived for years solely from selling or bartering vegetables and fruits for fuel and other commodities from ship crews.

"I have three children and raise them from the little I earn from exchanging goods at the seaport, but now I can't do my job," Hawa Olow told Reuters in a telephone conversation.

Al Shabaab has also prescribed that the women must buy and wear uniform robes that only it supplies.

PUBLIC WHIPPING

It has banned khat, a mild stimulant popular with men in the Horn of Africa. Dozens of women in Kismayu caught smuggling khat have been sentenced to 20-day jail terms and fined one million Somalia shillings.

"During the war we used to have a life and a little peace. Now Islamists control much of the south and mete out punishments for the slightest thing. They say women should do nothing," one khat seller told Reuters.

"Some women have no husbands, they are single or divorced or their men died fighting. It is totally destroying life."

Women cannot sit next to a man in a bus and have to be accompanied by a male relative when travelling.

"We have been born and raised as Muslims and we don't know where Islam says women can't work. They have taken these ideologies from outside Somalia, from the Taliban and other militants," said Abdiwahab Abdi Samad, professor of history at the University of Nairobi in neighbouring Kenya.

"If al Shabaab do not want women to work, they have to pay them money so that families depending on them can survive.

Another rebel group, Hizbul Islam, is taking a harsher ideological stance, bringing it more in line with the larger al Shabaab by imposing a strict form of sharia law.

Initially, Hizbul Islam had been seen by many Somalis as less severe in its interpretation of Islam than al Shabaab.

Hizbul Islam and al Shabaab, which used to be rivals but often fought together against the government in Mogadishu, agreed to merge in December.

In Afgoye, just south of Mogadishu, one old woman said she was publicly whipped by young men the age of her grandchildren for not donning the tent-like robes demanded of females.

"They said I cannot wear my old clothes," said Fatuma Ahmed. "I am an old woman over 60 and there is no man looking at me, why do they force me to have those heavy clothes?" (Writing by Helen Nyambura-Mwaura; Editing by David Stamp).

Source: Reuters

Ismahaan   

Axmed-InaJaad;687542 wrote:
waa sax according to the diin.

naago should stay at home and not work.

Nonsense!!!!There are no quranic commandments that sanction these prohibitions. In fact Prophet Mohamed’s (CSW) firs wife khadijah was a wealthy, successful, business woman, who hired him to work as an agent for her on her caravans from Mecca to al-Sham . Khadijah (RC) supported prophet Mohamed (CSW) , and was the first woman to be Muslim. Their marriage continued 25 years until Khadija (RC) death. Thus according to Islam, a woman can work , inherit, and be financially independent. In Islam there is no difference in being human between a man and a woman; they are equally liable for demands and prohibitions of ALLAH (swt). All people are responsible with living on the earth and serve on the way of God, it doesn’t matter whether woman or man.

Be careful do not Make woman cry

Because ALLAH (SWT) Counts her tears

A woman came Out from Man's Rib

Not from His feet to be walked on

Not from His head to be superior over

But from his side to be equal

Under to the arm to be protected

And next to the heart to be LOVED!

Khayr   

Good! Now if they could only put a ban on dhumaarka and talking forever on cell phones or texting non-stop, then the men's shaaxs

and caashos wouldn't get cold.:P

Ismalura   

Shaah and casho get cold? So we back to the baby sitting argument !

@ Ismahaan great contribution. Close minded people are often extremely ignorant too. Prophet Muxamed (SAW) worked for Khadija (RA) and than married her...HELLO !