Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

RIS Convention: TORONTO Dec.23-26

Miriam1   

The program is out, It seems like its going to be a very long 3 days!

DAY 1 - December 23rd, 2005

12:30 PM – 1:45 PM Salaatul Jumu’ah

Sermon: Dr. Munir ElKassem

Imam: Shaykh Muhammad Jebril

Session 1

1:45 PM - 3:15 PM

Qur'an Recitation, Shaykh Mohammad Jebril

Islamic Civilization Part 1, Dr. Tareq Suwaidan

3:15 PM – 3:45 PM Salaatul Asr

Session 2

3:45 PM – 4:45 PM Western Policies and the Muslim World, Eric Margolis

4:45 - 6:15 p.m Salaatul Maghrib & Dinner

Session 3

6:15 PM – 7:45 PM Civilizational challenge: Muslims-caught between ignorance and extremism, Shaykh Abdallah bin Bayyah

Translator, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Session 4

7:45 PM – 9:30 PM Living History – Marking the Past, Building the Future, Ms. Shabazz

What Would Malcolm Say?, Imam Zaid Shakir

Session 5

9:30 PM – 10:30 PM Striving for Excellence

Atleats for the first day, doesnt seem like there is anything one can miss without regretting it !

smile.gif

Friday- Session 4 seems interesting, also I wouldn't want to miss the Quran recitation by Qari Muhamed Jibril, his voice is divine.

Ok, almost done packing for the trip! Here we go another year..Alhamdulilah smile.gif

See u all there!

Kashafa   

Feedback, people, feedback. How'd it go ? Did Tariq Suwaidan completely own the place like last year. Was Main man Amr Khalid there ? What was Malcolm X's granddaughter talkin about. Don't be selfish, share the Kodak moments !

x_quizit   

Feedback Time: This year's theme was the Islamic Civilization. i didn't take notes so i'm hoping the other sisters who attended can add some more to this or share with us their experience.

Best day for me was Friday, I hardly noticed the time passing as the speakers and sheikhs were captivating their audience with their knowledge and sincere efforts in reviving our islamic spirit. Although Tariq, Zaid shakir and Zakir Naik were great as always, I have found a new favorite to add to my list of all-stars sheikhs. Imam Riyad al Haq from the Uk was not scheduled to speak on friday but took over at a moment's notice when one of the speakers couldn't make it, he was both eloquent in his delivery as well as captivating, and all from the top of his head since he didn't plan on speaking. Yet his speech was much more organized and well thought out than some who had time to put it together. His basic message was that as muslims, there are more requirements of us than simply doing the bare minimum requirements (5 pillars-praying, zakat, hajj, etc). He pointed out the fact that we overlook other things that must also be done in order to dwell in heaven for all eternity, such as taking care of our neighbors (muslims or otherwise), guarding our tongues (backbiting), our bodies (from zina), greed, and envy, purging all those from our hearts. He pointed out that it's a common misconception when ppl say that to in order to complete half of our deen one must marry, when in fact, it is guarding our morality and our bodies from committing zina that is half our deen. Marriage is simply a way for us to guard ourselves from temptation, and that the other half is guarding our tongue from slander, as backbiting is more heinous than adultery.

Riyad mentioned a hadith about a woman who was well known and respected by the companions and the ppl at the time of the Prophet (saw), who was extreme in her religion, she prayed all the time, read the quran and was extremely devoted, and when one person commented to the Prophet how this woman was great, he said that there is one thing holding her back from heaven and it being that she was neglectful to her neighbors. Her inability to socialize and take care of the sick and visit friends who may have needed her help, detracted from her deen as she lost sight of what it is to be muslim.Similarily, there was another woman who was more balanced in her deen, meaning that she didn't need to be extreme in her devotion like the other, giving her time to attend to her neighbors, visit sick friends, etc, and that was her ticket to heaven. His point being that we need to strike a balance and not be caught up in one thing while neglecting all that is required of us as muslims, even though we may think that it's not so great a sin.

Tariq spoke about the contributions of muslims to the Europeans (ex.bathing) and that civilization was not in the infrastructure nor in the arts, music, etc, but that civilization was found in the ppl.

Ms. Shabaz, malcom x's daughter talked about how ppl didn't know that her father had family from egypt, caribbean, states,a product of mixed heritage, therefore Islam wasn't a foreign concept to him as the religion and culture were practiced by his ancestors, a fact not well known. When he went back to Islam, it was simply to reaffirm what he already knew and it was just his time to accept the message. One thing I found funny was that she stated that O.J. Simpson had converted to islam.

Zakir Naik talked about apologetic muslims, who come out and speak against 9/11 and the London bombings, as they should, but he challenged them that in the same breath that they are condemning those terror acts, they should also condemn the millions of muslims being slaughtered daily in Palestine, India, Chechnya, etc. He also embraced the words that the west would use against us, such as fundamentalist, terrorist, extremist, in this way. He said we should be proud to tell ppl we are extremists, because our deen calls for us to be extremely kind, extremely giving to the poor, etc, using the words in ways that empowers us and giving it a new meaning from what the west would have others believe. Zakir also said that the west looks down on us as being a barbaric religion in terms of our rules, such as if one steals, cut off his hand and if one rapes, kill them. He then went on to say, if these countries implemented any of these rules, such as cutting a robbers hand, the rate of theft would go down considerably, and if all rapists were put to death, the stats would also decrease as well. He pointed out the double standards of the west, when asked, if someone rapes your mom or sister, relative, what would u like to have happen to them, and they all answered death, and yet when there is such a law in islam, they look down upon it. Zakir also mentioned that the hijab helps women to be more free in society and less likely to be raped, and the men also have their hijab, being covered from navel to knee, and to also guard their modesty and lower their gaze. No wonder I like him, he wasn't simply addressing women as most are prone to, he also reminded the men their part.

I missed Saturday, so if someone can fill me in on the key points, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday was ok, I was disappointed that Zakir Naik repeated some elements of his lecture of last yr again this yr.Such as what to say to an atheist and show them proof of Islam being the only and true religion and that in fact God did exist.

Omar abdel Kafi (i think it was him) spoke about the purification of the heart from evil deeds, such as pride, arrogance, greed, envy, and that anyone with an ounce of pride believing they are better than others, that they can do no wrong and do not acknowlege when they are wrong are headed for hellfire and won't be allowed in the gates on heaven.

One thing that marred the conference was that someone had stolen the tags to get in from a volunteer and sold them out in the parking lot, this along with many ppl who snuck in, amounted them to lose about 100,000, and when they announced what happened, ppl showed their solidarity and generosity by donating money, writing checks, and a woman even donated her gold.

Monday's concert with the nasheeds that was to benefit the ppl who were affected in the pakistani earthquake was great, especially Native Deen and Raihan who I had the chance to meet.

I'm hoping that in the following years, one of the themes could be the great women of Islam, their contribution to the religion, the wives of the prophet and I'm also hoping that more female speakers would be invited.

p.s.-It was good to see the somali sisters in high places, such as being part of the organizers and also hosting of the event, and volunteering.

Lake   

It was my first time to the conference; (I never knew it was held annually) It was wonderful; it went waaaay beyond my expectation. I was there Friday through Sunday. The line up of speakers were all great, but Abdellah bin bayah and Rydah ul haq really stood out for me

Saturday—Abduallah bin bayah spoke which hamza yousuf translated, about respecting each others difference of opinion that we may have when it comes to religion, he stated that its important that we take the time to listen to each other interpretation…he gaved out many explains to support it. Sheik Hamza yousuf and Sulluiman was others that spoke that day. ( I hope others tell you this in more detail)

The thing about the stolen tags was embarrassing to us all really..wallahi I was shaking my head in shame. Who are these cowards cheating? If you snuck in to an Islamic conference to avoid not paying the admission price..may allah help you.

Miriam1   

I know I know, its early but this year's RIS is from 22-24 December with the knowledge retreat afterwards.

Is anyone considering volunteering?

And did anyone go for the knowldege retreat, how was it and was it worth it?

Its the first time in my life that I took time off from working, so I have the time to spare during the xmas holidays.

This year's theme is on the sunnah and one speaker i am looking foward to hearing is Tariq Ramadan and ofcourse..as always Tariq Suwaidan

x_quizit   

Hayam, I'm also looking forward to RIS. I've never volunteered because I don't want to miss all the great speakers, and I have not gone to the retreats, but i'm sure they're great. Are you planning on going to the retreats this yr?

I'm also looking forward to seeing tariq suwaidan, sheikh khalid yasin, abdullah hakim quick, zaid shakir, etc, all great ones this yr. I hope that one year the topic can be the great women of islam, honoring aisha, khadijah, etc.

hodman   

You can always watch DVD’s if you miss lectures but if you volunteer even once You would love it so much. It’s a great feeling

Warmoog   

The thought of volunteering sounds tempting, but I'm afraid it would be too much of a hassle for me because I don't live anywhere near the location of the conference. Can those of you who have volunteered at the RIS convention before please explain what the volunteers are required to do, the hours they work, and such things. I would greatly appreciate it.

Originally posted by x_quizit:

Hayam, I'm also looking forward to RIS.

Well, well. Look who it is. Glad to see you're still alive, huuno. :D

Miriam1   

Nice to hear from u guys!

Xquizt and Warmoog. I heard you can volunteer prior to the event. Thats what I am considering, not during the event or maybe before all the lectures start.

The only reason I thought about it, is i remember last year, there was a lack of direction during the first day with the registration..most of the volunteers were mild mannered..and ppl were in some ways pushing them around..clear case of lack organizational skills..

X, I am thinking about the knowledge retreat, not sure how much it costs, but i got the time and I am really feeling it, I heard it was very good..imagine asking all the questions you ever thought to some of the best sheikhs out there?!

Ps. I know this was tried once before, but we must meetup this year! It will be really nice to put faces to names !

Aaliyyah   

Hayan sis i considere volunteering at the RIS. insha-allah you know how u fill the form online, i did that i am waiting for their reply. But, even if i dont get a volunteer position. I am not going to miss it.

wa salaamu alaikum

p.s. perhaps i will meet som of u guys there lol, bt hey how am i gonna do who i met, u all need to post yr picz lol ..

x_quizit   

warmoog, hey old friend, im alive and kicking....i only come out of hibernation for RIS, a worthy cause...hope to see u there this yr,u can find me trailing khalid yasin...hopefully they will let him in this time, damn americans wouldn't let him cross the border last week when he was scheduled to talk about malcom x and also a talk addressing atheists.

Hayam, the knowledge retreats are pricey, but if you have the time and the dough, go for it, like u said, i heard good things about it, and as for volunteering, i wouldn't mind b4 the show, but once it starts, i don't want anything to take away from the experience of being there live, listening to those eloquent speakers....the only thing i don't like is the seating, how when u go to pray and come back a load of ppl took ur prime seats, i wish they would assign seats based on ur ticket, that way no matter what thats urs, thats what they did at muslim fest and it helped enormously...

See u guys there, inshallah

Can eloquence and pleasable elocution offset lack of intellectual merit? It is a fact all too evident and undeniable that some of these speakers got some funky ideas. Beyond wooly thoughts is the nigh unto itself false, unscientific ideas some of them endorse. Namely, dr zakir naik. The guy is a buffoon. This is what he said once: The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America, most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; many say 'you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife.' If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs. If the man holds demonstrably false ideas and doesn't shed them upon being corrected, what confidence does one have he's right with his other ideas?

It parellels great deal what people consider wise words or wisdom. What makes some utterings wise and others unwise? If some utterings are demonstrably wrong, do they still retain their wise status?

Miriam1   

I am yet to hear this famous Khalid Yasin..yea he was suppose to drop in at York, early oct, too bad. ppl were excited.

X,lol@prime seats, i know what you mean people were seriously stressed out about where they were sitting last year. I am happy aslong as I am close to one of those large screen tv's. Some of the people's behaviour in the first few front seats, was abit disturbing with all the seat stealing from people who left only 10 seconds before.