Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

RIS Convention: TORONTO Dec.23-26

Assalamu Alaikum.

Long time SOL....missed you all.

It's back folks....I'm speaking of the The Reviving The Islamic Spirit Convention ....Insha Allah it will be bigger & better than last year's.

Convention - aaah, my favourites from last year plus more!

Concert - Not just Sami Yusuf.

Knowledge Retreat - More food for the soul.

Hope to see you all there!!!

Miriam1   

Salam

Yes its here again for another year, missed it last year. Inshallah this i will be there. excited for the concert, and can't wait to hear tariq suwaidan's lecture

Haneefah   

ws dear, we missed you too ;) kaalay, I think maskaxdeenu wey isla shaqaysaa, I swear I was about to post this.

Isn't it just unbelievable how time flies by so quickly, it only seems yesterday when we were attending RIS/04...I'm extremely excited about this year Insha'Allah (I'm trying to get everyone I know to come regardless of their xmas plans)....can't wait, esp for the knowledge retreat...IT'S ABOUT TIME! I always used to envy reer US whenever I saw deen intensives or weekend retreats held by Zaytuna in different states.

Oh and Dr. Omar Abdel Kafi will be here this year (my mom will be absolutely delighted, she's obsessed with his shows, lol)...and Tariq Ramadan (one of my favourites) along with many other prominent shuyukhs...just splendid all around.

It's an incredible event and I think everyone who has the means should try their best to participate Insha'Allah....I sincerely hope to see more Somalis present this year.

ps. maybe we should get admin to post this on the front page somewhere, considering how many nomads don't unfortunately frequent this section.

x_quizit   

It's the 4th annual convention and my 3rd, and I'm also excited to see my fav speakers, zaid shakir, dr zakir naik, tareq suwaidan, etc. Not to mention the concert on the 26th featuring Sami Yusuf, Native Deen, Raihan,etc. I'm sure it will be as great as the previous yrs, although I'm disappointed that Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick won't be there though.

Abraareey, great minds think alike right?lol

Knowledge Retreat...would love to...most likely will...only concern, exhaustion!!! Wouldn't pple be tired after the 3 day conference? Wish there was a gap.......but I guess it'll be worth it, its been more than 5 yrs since the last deenintensive. Lord knows how desperately I need it.

Jawahiir, u betta be there, it'll be your loss....just think of the bazaar and all those beautiful abaayas, hijaabs,....heaven I tell you smile.gif

X-quizite, same here my 3rd yr. Time flies eh? I know how u feel about Sh. Quick, didn't he just deliver one of the most moving jumaa khutbah last year..I'll miss him :(

Also, what happened to Sh.Mokhtar Maghraoui...he's just lovely....can't imagine him without this convention.

Sh.Abdallah Adhami is scheduled to speak....my fav.....so I'm not entirely disappointed.

Femme Fatale, come on cancel your engagements to celebrate New Years In NYC...and join us. Say what you? Accomodation will be ur least worries...... :D

Haneefah   

^ :confused: Maxaa ku qaadey walaal?

what happened to Sh.Mokhtar Maghraoui...he's just lovely....can't imagine him without this convention.

I know, he was amazingly touching masha'Allah and he made everyone cry last yr...he'll be extremely missed :(

ps...waa qasab iney Ilhaam timaado...this yr we'll have to drag Nova as well ;)

Modesty   

^ Sister, the majority of the speakers including Ramadani are sufis, and how is music halaal at a "Islamic Convention"? I wouldn't go personally.

Zaahidah   

Originally posted by Modesty:

^ Sister, the majority of the speakers including Ramadani are sufis, and how is music halaal at a "Islamic Convention"? I wouldn't go personally.

I agree with you sister :D

Miriam1   

How about we lower the tones of the negativity here and objections to something so simple as an annual conference.

If you see your self as a purist. pls step aside and let us rejoice at an annual conference that allows us to feel the true sense of the ummah.

If you believe the simple Nabi Amans of Sami Yusuf or the other groups are "music" and dare to hold them in comparison to that of the mainstream music, i suggest again that you step aside.

If you feel that the "sufi" talk of Hamza Yusuf and Tariq Ramadan, whom I have never heard at this specific conference say anything wrong or contrary to general beliefs, would disturb you I suggest again you step aside.

And at last, I hope that everyone makes it to the conference safe and well, I will surely be there

Salam

smile.gif

Modesty   

^Sister, for one Tariq Ramadan is a modernist who wants to change the shariah. Secondly, just because people are singing about Allah doesn't mean it's halaal. I just think it sounds like modified gospel music, and a clear immitation of the kuffar. May Allah guide us all.ameen

hmmm, this is not new.....check it out

Here & Here

Guess what....I still feel the same!

Sorry, sufi vs. salafi discussions are not welcomed here ( I can say this coz its my threat :D )

This thread is for those who:

*are PSYCHED about RIS.

*deeply respect invited guests.

*are ready to quench their thirst for knowledge to be spiritually rejuvinated.

*can't wait 2 hit the bazaar for books, cds, & clothes.

etc.

So who's going to the Knowledge Retreat?