Sign in to follow this  
Nugul

Our imagine is important: my reaction to the flim shown at UCL a week before

Nugul   

Correction: Image.

I’m personally sick and tired of the negative publicity on Somalia. I just saw in another thread that a flim on ‘’starving’’ Somalis has been shown at UCL? Are really those people mad? They are certainly lacking sophistication. Why put yourself in that position? Would the UCL students denote more than the Somalis in the UK can? Believe me, students do not denote more than 2 cents! so why reinforce this kind of image of us in their minds??

Btw I checked the video and did not see starving people, just displaced people.

I was in Somalia in 2009 and people who are dying are the nomads and nobody cares about them.

These kinds of charities are giving our country and people very negative image in the World. A positive attitude yields 50% of success in anything that we do. There are a lot of good things going on in somalia such as the football cup in Puntland.

Waan arkey dad badan oo charity run-gareya are uneducated, but not only that they do not understand what can damage the repution of the nation.

Next time, I hope they go to the mosques to ask for donation.

Ismalura   

@Nugul first of all I don't see how your reaction to the film can qualify you as 'kufr' since it has nothing to do with faith or religion.

We as Somalis have lost the privilege of keeping our dirty secrets and worrying about keeping our image. I agree that begging (waliba as a whole nation) takes away our dignity but these people are lacking the basic needs in life and we can't ignore them and philosophize their situation. There are underlying complicated interconnections of social, political, religious and economic factors in these whole 'Africa is starving' campaigns and we have a lot of work to do before we can mend our image.

Nugul   

Ismalura;684292 wrote:
@Nugul first of all I don't see how your reaction to the film can qualify you as 'kufr' since it has nothing to do with faith or religion.

We as Somalis have lost the privilege of keeping our dirty secrets and worrying about keeping our image. I agree that begging (waliba as a whole nation) takes away our dignity but these people are lacking the basic needs in life and we can't ignore them and philosophize their situation. There are underlying complicated interconnections of social, political, religious and economic factors in these whole 'Africa is starving' campaigns and we have a lot of work to do before we can mend our image.

Re:the kufar. I just edited it. I was referring to other people in other thread who called me such a name or something like that. That made made me really angry.

Sister, I understand what you are saying and certainly we should not ignore those people, but everything has a way to deal with. I believe images and succes go hand with hand. Showing that kind of film at UCL is not a way to fundraise for the somalis in dadaab, after all dadaab is under the UN control. Those people do not need food but security. I was there last year. I visited many places in Somalia and ended my journey in Kenya.

I am very happy to make donations and certainly do. I have had some women in my house collecting monet That humbled me, and I am proud of them.

But I think we should think twice before showing such films at certain places.

Ismalura   

Abaayo I totally agree that image is important and that we are losing dignity by showing films like that. That said these people are suffering and are in dire need of everything from food to security. I lived in those camps when it was a lot less populated and it was a very tough life. I can't imagine how it is for them now and I can sacrifice some pride and reputation to feed them.

You are right that charity begins at home and we should help our people before we beg dad kale for them.

Nugul   

Ismalura, you are right. I am not talking about individual pride, but as a nation.

I have to log out now, but explain my points tomarrow, insha allah. Take care.

So you're angry because the cadaan know that people are starving in Somalia? Yeah so there was a cup, and those teams can now go back and live in poverty like before...

There is no economy in Somalia, the only reason people are alive is because of the UN and money that is send back by the Diaspora.